The Student Room Group

Taking 3 packs of the pill in a row

I've just taken 3 packs of the pill in a row but had some spotting with the last pack, has anyone taken 3 packs of the contraceptive pill like this for a long period of time and if so does the spotting reduce the more you take 3 packs in a row?
(edited 6 years ago)
I've only ever done two in a row, but friends that have done three in a row got spotting. I think it's kind of inevitable? Your body can only go so long before you get breakthrough bleeding. The longer you go without taking a break for a bleed the more likely you are to spot, and I got told to speak to my GP if I wanted to do more than three in a row or to do it repeatedly.
Reply 2
Original post by rosie152
I've just taken 3 packs of the pill in a row but had some spotting with the last pack, has anyone taken the contraceptive pill like this for a long period of time and if so does the spotting reduce the more you take 3 packs in a row?

Generally spotting will get worse as you run more packs together - which is one reason that more than 3 isn't recommended. If you want contraception that will stop your periods, talk to your doctor or a family planning clinic. There are other options that will work better.
Reply 3
Original post by Juno
Generally spotting will get worse as you run more packs together - which is one reason that more than 3 isn't recommended. If you want contraception that will stop your periods, talk to your doctor or a family planning clinic. There are other options that will work better.

Sorry maybe I haven't worded it very well, I meant to take 3 packs then a weeks break then repeat that over and over
Original post by rosie152
Sorry maybe I haven't worded it very well, I meant to take 3 packs then a weeks break then repeat that over and over

That's not taking 3 packs of the pill in a row, that's just taking them how you're supposed to. The spotting should gradually stop as your body gets used to it, but if you're concerned see your GP.
Original post by bones-mccoy
That's not taking 3 packs of the pill in a row, that's just taking them how you're supposed to. The spotting should gradually stop as your body gets used to it, but if you're concerned see your GP.

Pretty sure OP means taking three packs without a break, aka three months, then taking a week break, rather than taking it for three weeks then a break.

Quick Reply

Latest