The Student Room Group

Clearing

If I am deferring my application until 2018, can I still go through clearing?
Reply 1
Original post by Solden

Probably not. Unis only know about vacancies for 2017, and will mainly be focused on filling spaces for those courses. You may find a university willing to talk to you about 2018, but you'll have so much more choice if you wait until September and send a standard application.
Reply 2
Original post by Solden

Only if you want a place for Sept 2017.

They don't have deferred places in Clearing.
Reply 3
Original post by Juno
Probably not. Unis only know about vacancies for 2017, and will mainly be focused on filling spaces for those courses. You may find a university willing to talk to you about 2018, but you'll have so much more choice if you wait until September and send a standard application.

I have already replied and said I was deferring so would I have to apply again? I have an firm offer of AAB from Nottingham and insurance of BBB from Kent both deferred to 2018. I am not sure what to do if I don't get into Nottingham but, say, get into Kent but want to 'trade up'. Or I don't get the grades for Kent and want to still see if they will take me or if I can try somewhere else. Would I need to reapply from scratch even though I have now left school?
Original post by Solden
I have already replied and said I was deferring so would I have to apply again? I have an firm offer of AAB from Nottingham and insurance of BBB from Kent both deferred to 2018. I am not sure what to do if I don't get into Nottingham but, say, get into Kent but want to 'trade up'. Or I don't get the grades for Kent and want to still see if they will take me or if I can try somewhere else. Would I need to reapply from scratch even though I have now left school?

You sort of can - but it's a pain in the arse for universities to process (they have to make you a clearing offer for 2017 and then once you've accepted that put through an amendment to defer it to 2018)....they might not be willing to do that, particularly if they're busy with dealing with 2017 entry applicants.

You could only apply through clearing by giving up your place with Kent (which takes time - again something that universities might not be willing to wait for).
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
You sort of can - but it's a pain in the arse for universities to process (they have to make you a clearing offer for 2017 and then once you've accepted that put through an amendment to defer it to 2018)....they might not be willing to do that, particularly if they're busy with dealing with 2017 entry applicants.

You could only apply through clearing by giving up your place with Kent (which takes time - again something that universities might not be willing to wait for).

Sounds really confusing. I am still not sure what to do.......I guess I will have to wait and see what I get and take it from there. Unless anyone else can help.....?
Reply 6
Original post by Solden

You wouldn't be able to keep hold of your Kent offer and try to get another offer. You would have to decide whether you wanted to give up Kent and apply elsewhere, or keep Kent but not be able to apply elsewhere. But if you do want to apply elsewhere, you're most likely going to have to make a new UCAS application from September.

If you don't meet your offer then Kent can decide if they want to accept you anyway. They will do this automatically. You just need to check Track on results day and see if it says Kent have accepted or rejected you.
Reply 7
Original post by Juno
You wouldn't be able to keep hold of your Kent offer and try to get another offer. You would have to decide whether you wanted to give up Kent and apply elsewhere, or keep Kent but not be able to apply elsewhere. But if you do want to apply elsewhere, you're most likely going to have to make a new UCAS application from September.

If you don't meet your offer then Kent can decide if they want to accept you anyway. They will do this automatically. You just need to check Track on results day and see if it says Kent have accepted or rejected you.

Ok thanks......let's hope I get into Nottingham then!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending