The Student Room Group

How could I make friends??

Hey, I'm 16 and a guy who's really shy and I'd like to know what I could do to get over my social anxiety and social phobias and make meaningful friendships. Thanks
Reply 1
I used to be really shy too so I understand your concern.

Once you find someone that you'd like to be friends with, you could start by giving them a compliment (it could be about anything, really. Their mindset, their shoes, their work ethic, their philosophy on life, their clothes etc anything that you notice about them)

Then from there, try to engage them in small talk (if you notice something interesting in your surroundings, mention that and go from there)

Being shy and waiting for people to come up to you usually will only get us so far. :frown: I speak from personal experience.

Getting over our shyness just takes practice. :smile: When you have social anxiety, interacting with others can seem intimidating but most people are nice and will appreciate your effort to engage with them.

And if you are not getting a good reaction from a particular person (it happens and it's completely normal) , then just move onto the next person until you find an amazing friend which you will if you don't give up. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Dani0322
I used to be really shy too so I understand your concern.

Once you find someone that you'd like to be friends with, you could start by giving them a compliment (it could be about anything, really. Their mindset, their shoes, their work ethic, their philosophy on life, their clothes etc anything that you notice about them)

Then from there, try to engage them in small talk (if you notice something interesting in your surroundings, mention that and go from there)

Being shy and waiting for people to come up to you usually will only get us so far. :frown: I speak from personal experience.

Getting over our shyness just takes practice. :smile: When you have social anxiety, interacting with others can seem intimidating but most people are nice and will appreciate your effort to engage with them.

And if you are not getting a good reaction from a particular person (it happens and it's completely normal) , then just move onto the next person until you find an amazing friend which you will if you don't give up. :smile:

Thank You!
Reply 3
Maybe talk to the people on social media, let them get to know you.
Common.Interest.
Reply 5
Original post by aarnat
Maybe talk to the people on social media, let them get to know you.

Yeah I could I suppose. Thanks!

Original post by JDieMstr
Common.Interest.

I guess I could start joining clubs.
Reply 6
Hey, I'm 16 and a guy who's really shy and I'd like to know what I could do to get over my social anxiety and social phobias and make meaningful friendships. Thanks
join a sports club
go out with friends. just force yourself to do it.

i know its one thing to say it, but trust me its really simple.
Reply 8
When you have social anxiety it’s hard to talk to people and make friends. I know that because I have social anxiety and no friends. I just try to remind myself that people don’t generally take notice of me and if I talk to someone and they don’t want to talk or I say or do something stupid, they forget it whilst I think about it for the next 5 years and replay it whilst I’m trying to get to sleep. But yeah as I said, just try and talk to people (easier said than done) and remind yourself that people don’t take notice of you or what you do.
Reply 9
Original post by Meg846
When you have social anxiety it’s hard to talk to people and make friends. I know that because I have social anxiety and no friends. I just try to remind myself that people don’t generally take notice of me and if I talk to someone and they don’t want to talk or I say or do something stupid, they forget it whilst I think about it for the next 5 years and replay it whilst I’m trying to get to sleep. But yeah as I said, just try and talk to people (easier said than done) and remind yourself that people don’t take notice of you or what you do.

Thanks!!!
Reply 10
ill be your friend, there. (:
Awww I'm 16 too and I'm like shy and all but it's really all about pushing yourself out there and going out of your comfort zone Hence how I've made friends :biggrin: I'll be your friend too :smile: msg me if u want :smile:))
Reply 13
Original post by Imzy010
Awww I'm 16 too and I'm like shy and all but it's really all about pushing yourself out there and going out of your comfort zone Hence how I've made friends :biggrin: I'll be your friend too :smile: msg me if u want :smile:))

Thanks!
Why can’t you receive mails?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending