The Student Room Group

Am I the only one who doesn't really hang out/get along with flatmates?

Everyone around me seems to have a great relationship with their flatmates and always do stuff together. Meanwhile I was excluded outside of their circle as soon as Freshers started, thus me being by myself most of the time and making me hate uni life more than I should:/
Anyone else feeling the same way?
Original post by Redunicorn
Everyone around me seems to have a great relationship with their flatmates and always do stuff together. Meanwhile I was excluded outside of their circle as soon as Freshers started, thus me being by myself most of the time and making me hate uni life more than I should:/

I didn't when I was at university and I wasn't the only one. I would urge you to talk to people on your course and in societies and even other blocks in your flat.
Not at all uncommon. I know many people who didn't really get along with their flatmates, I didn't get a long with a couple of them either with made the living situation quire hostile.
My family treats me like flatmates who never speak to me. if you and I lived together I'd always speak to you! 💖
Reply 4
Original post by Salt Queen
My family treats me like flatmates who never speak to me. if you and I lived together I'd always speak to you! 💖

Awww you're so sweet 😄
Awww you're so sweet 😄

Don't worry some people aren't worth it. They're all probably getting drunk and pregnant right now.
I'm a postgraduate student, and I was allocated a very mixed flat in my private halls. One of my flatmates is a first year, another is doing a PGCE, and all the others are third years. We are all doing very different courses, so have vastly different schedules. We are also all in different 'places' in our lives (age-wise and in terms of interests, commitment to education etc.), so we don't naturally gel. We don't 'not get along' or anything like that, we just don't see that much of each other. We chat when we happen to be the kitchen at the same time, but otherwise I spend most of my time with people on my course, as I am more similar to them in terms of personality and interests.

Don't feel down about it, most of the time it's just the luck of the draw who you get put with. Some feel like their flatmates are an extension of their family, others hate their flatmates with a passion. If you don't have any complaints about your flatmates, and not hanging out with them is the biggest worry you've got, you're luckier than most!
Original post by Salt Queen
Don't worry some people aren't worth it. They're all probably getting drunk and pregnant right now.

Oh No! Drunk at Uni???????? Lock them up!!
Original post by Joe_Gaughan
Oh No! Drunk at Uni???????? Lock them up!!

Well animals do belong behind cages 😊

And I said drunk AND pregnant. Not a good combo...maybe I should've said drunkenly pregnant..

I don't either! Don't worry! They're complete slobs and they use and have already broke some of my stuff in the shared kitchen. If you're in a London University maybe we could make it more enjoyable!
I was a late arrival to my accommodation and I sorta feel that the 7 others in the hall are "punishing" me for it. They never knock on my door for breakfast or dinner (we're part catered), rarely speak to me etc. I've made the effort to try and talk to them but only 1 seems to want to talk.
Another in particular blasts music 24/7 and it's just getting ridiculous now, I can't work in my room anymore.

yes yes yes
i refuse to be left out or rejected so i dont try in the first place because theyre not my kind of people and they respect me for that
i know if i tried hard to fit in i would be seen as annoying because they're already friends (so extroverted) and if its not natural then whats the point??
Reply 12
Original post by Mutton.Rolls
I don't either! Don't worry! They're complete slobs and they use and have already broke some of my stuff in the shared kitchen. If you're in a London University maybe we could make it more enjoyable!

Unfortunately I go to a uni in the Midlands, but I actually originally live in London. So I guess we can make it more enjoyable when I visit :biggrin:
Reply 13
regarding accomodations, im new here in birmingham, going to bcu. Ive been trying to find good sites for accommodations also looking at budget wise. Ive seen this site, Stuuli.com, anyone had an experience with them and what would you all recommend, thanks for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending