The Student Room Group

Childcare.

Hi guys. Hoping someone can help. Being a stay at a home mum I’ve never really known how childcare works. I’ve been accepted onto a full time course starting sept 2018. My daughter will be 3. How does the childcare grant work?
If my course is full time do I put her in full time and claim full time even if say I’m only actually to attend campus 3 or 4 days a week for example.

Hope I’ve explained myself correctly.
The hours I’m to attend lectures practicals etc is estimated at around 20 hours per week.

Thanks in advance
Original post by MissusH2411
Hi guys. Hoping someone can help. Being a stay at a home mum I’ve never really known how childcare works. I’ve been accepted onto a full time course starting sept 2018. My daughter will be 3. How does the childcare grant work?
If my course is full time do I put her in full time and claim full time even if say I’m only actually to attend campus 3 or 4 days a week for example.

Hope I’ve explained myself correctly.
The hours I’m to attend lectures practicals etc is estimated at around 20 hours per week.

Thanks in advance

Does this help? Moved to the SFE forum.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
Does this help? Moved to the SFE forum.

Hi thanks yes I was reading and it says “You can get up to 85% of your childcare costs”
Which is great but if I’m only timetabled to campus for say 20 hours and I put her in childcare for day 35 and claim for that would that be ok? Just wondering if anyone else has put their child in full time regardless of how many hours they are required at uni. Just don’t want to get in trouble for over claiming??

Thanks
Hi thanks yes I was reading and it says “You can get up to 85% of your childcare costs”
Which is great but if I’m only timetabled to campus for say 20 hours and I put her in childcare for day 35 and claim for that would that be ok? Just wondering if anyone else has put their child in full time regardless of how many hours they are required at uni. Just don’t want to get in trouble for over claiming??

Thanks

If you only need 20h of care and put your child in for 35 and claim 35 yes I would say you are over claiming but I will leave SFE to respond as they will know the rules better.
Reply 4
Original post by alleycat393
If you only need 20h of care and put your child in for 35 and claim 35 yes I would say you are over claiming but I will leave SFE to respond as they will know the rules better.

Thanks for replying. Yes it just seems some nurseries won’t work specifically to your hours so you can’t just pick and choose. If you were only in uni for a couple hours in morning you’d have to book the full half day with Nursery for example.
Anyway yes hopefully SFE will know more. Thanks again
Thanks for replying. Yes it just seems some nurseries won’t work specifically to your hours so you can’t just pick and choose. If you were only in uni for a couple hours in morning you’d have to book the full half day with Nursery for example.
Anyway yes hopefully SFE will know more. Thanks again

Hi MissusH2411,

Childcare does not depend on the hours you are studying, if you're studying for 20 hours and your child is with the childcare provider for 35 hours this does not make a difference and will still be entitled to the 85% childcare.

Thanks

Catherine
Reply 6
Original post by Catherine SFE
Hi MissusH2411,

Childcare does not depend on the hours you are studying, if you're studying for 20 hours and your child is with the childcare provider for 35 hours this does not make a difference and will still be entitled to the 85% childcare.

Thanks

Catherine

Thanks so much. Just wanted to make sure I wouldn’t get in trouble or end up owing.
Thanks again !!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending