The Student Room Group

Do looks matter in a relationship?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ANM775
neil strauss is also a famous writer and a millionaire

i wouldn't say he was a 4/10 either at the time of "The Game"

before he was famous though. it was his game and "personality" that got him women, not his insanely attractive egg head and beady eyes. yeah maybe 4/10 was a bit harsh but his voice is a massive turn off.
Yes it does tbh
Reply 22
Original post by Anonymous
before he was famous though. it was his game and "personality" that got him women, not his insanely attractive egg head and beady eyes. yeah maybe 4/10 was a bit harsh but his voice is a massive turn off.

true about his voice,
If you're a gay dude the voice is probably attractive, but to everyone else ....I agree, it's a turn-off

I remember reading The Game around 2008 and got two thirds of the way through and strauss still hadn't bagged a woman yet. He was coming close, ..but always something got in the way..

I never did finish that book in the end....
Reply 23
My mate got properly into Strauss and his nonsense for a bit, he turned into a right insufferable ******* for about 2 years.
Original post by ANM775
true about his voice,
If you're a gay dude the voice is probably attractive, but to everyone else ....I agree, it's a turn-off

I remember reading The Game around 2008 and got two thirds of the way through and strauss still hadn't bagged a woman yet. He was coming close, ..but always something got in the way..

I never did finish that book in the end....

Been years since I read it as well but worth finishing imo, shows you a darker side. I got really into pua back in the day and learnt so many techniques on picking up women which isn't always the most useful as I'm a straight girl. But I can often spot pua stuff in your posts
Reply 25
Been years since I read it as well but worth finishing imo, shows you a darker side. I got really into pua back in the day and learnt so many techniques on picking up women which isn't always the most useful as I'm a straight girl. But I can often spot pua stuff in your posts

wait?what?!
you're a girl?

and a straight one at that?

What on earth were you doing reading the game and getting into PUA?

I still remember signing upto PUA forums and meeting up with guys, going to places like Tiger Tiger etc and everytime all of us coming back with nothing to show for it, or running around leicester square in the daytime like a headless chicken doing "daygame"

None of that PUA stuff was effective imo.

I met about 3 guys out of like 100 where I would say PUA [or something] actually worked for them and they could at least regularly number close girls significantly above them. everyone else either had no success or constantly flaked on or any success they had you could attribute to their looks.
I think the size of your wallet overrules all
well thats the first thing you have visible ate the moment most people I know who say they only care about the personality are liers jaj
couse then they admit wanting someone who they are attracted too
Original post by gjd800
My mate got properly into Strauss and his nonsense for a bit, he turned into a right insufferable ******* for about 2 years.
It is not nonsense. It works. It's based on sound principles.

And the whole gaming / Neil Strauss thing - when done well - is not just about picking up loads of women. It's about getting to know the most attractive women that you come across. It's about self confidence. It's about loving women. Really loving women. It's about treating beautiful women as equal human beings - not as inferior ones and not as superior ones.

For men, status is more important in attracting women than looks.
OK looks is part of status, but only one part.

And, at the end of the day, who cares whether looks are more important than personality? Each person has to work with whatever they've got.

And that means doing what you reasonably can to improve your looks, personality and status.
Yes and no. Personality is more attractive than looks in my opinion. I'm 50% looks and 50% personality, so it's one or the other for me. Both put together give you the ideal person and you'd be nothing more than judgemental if you based them purely on their looks.
Reply 30
Original post by Dunnig Kruger

And the whole gaming / Neil Strauss thing - when done well - is not just about picking up loads of women. It's about getting to know the most attractive women that you come across. It's about self confidence. It's about loving women. Really loving women. It's about treating beautiful women as equal human beings - not as inferior ones and not as superior ones.

And, at the end of the day, who cares whether looks are more important than personality? Each person has to work with whatever they've got.

And that means doing what you reasonably can to improve your looks, personality and status.

It's nonsense.
Looks play a part but attractiveness is subjective. There are people that I would find attractive that you don't and vice versa. For example I looked up Neil Strauss's wife and I think she's as average as he is. Personality does play a part too, if I had the choice of a beautiful ******* and a ugly angel. I would choose the ugly angel.
Original post by bobbybop
Looks play a part but attractiveness is subjective. There are people that I would find attractive that you don't and vice versa. For example I looked up Neil Strauss's wife and I think she's as average as he is. Personality does play a part too, if I had the choice of a beautiful ******* and a ugly angel. I would choose the ugly angel.

Haha seriously? I think she's hot. But yeah point proven
Original post by ANM775
wait?what?!
you're a girl?

and a straight one at that?

What on earth were you doing reading the game and getting into PUA?

I still remember signing upto PUA forums and meeting up with guys, going to places like Tiger Tiger etc and everytime all of us coming back with nothing to show for it, or running around leicester square in the daytime like a headless chicken doing "daygame"

None of that PUA stuff was effective imo.

I met about 3 guys out of like 100 where I would say PUA [or something] actually worked for them and they could at least regularly number close girls significantly above them. everyone else either had no success or constantly flaked on or any success they had you could attribute to their looks.

Lol I don't know I just found it interesting. Watched a channel 4 docu called the rules of seduction and then binge watched a load of youtube videos. Kezia noble's were probably my favourite cos I actually agreed with a lot of her advice.
How attractive would you say these 100 people were?
Reply 34
Lol I don't know I just found it interesting. Watched a channel 4 docu called the rules of seduction and then binge watched a load of youtube videos. Kezia noble's were probably my favourite cos I actually agreed with a lot of her advice.
How attractive would you say these 100 people were?

majority were around average or below average [3 to 6] ...and most were ethnic.

probably around 10% I would class 7+

looking back it's easy to see why so few were 7+
they didn't need PUA, they were able to get by on looks

I think probably I was around a 6 in those days. tbh it can be hard to say if you're self rating.

There was this big event called The saturday sarge up in central london every weekend. I went a few times. So many guys turned up to that thing [like 50+] ...and we used to be given "talks" in the backstreets/alleyways from people well known in the industry [I remember listening to hayley quinn, tbh i swear she was giving me IOI's at one point but perhaps I imagined it lmao]

Then afterwards we would break off into small groups and start approaching. Sometimes we'd have a "coach" with us. When we would all meet up again outside Pret in leicester square to regroup ...you'd ask around "who got any numbers?" and usually only about 10% of people had gotten anything. and hardly anyone was actually successfully converting these numbers to dates either

I bumped in Yad one day when sarging too. He had a "client" with him and tbh it did not seem like things were going well.

Never did meet that Kezia woman. Shame.....
Original post by Dunnig Kruger

Dude that’s total BS, PUA is about getting phone numbers and picking up lots of women, it’s deception and tricks. The guys who do it are taught routines and buzzwords that are designed to affect women in a certain way. Strauss actually makes that quite clear. The part of that book that stuck with me most is towards the end when he admits that the downside of PUA is that the women almost always leave in the end, the effects wear off and they go back to looking for the real thing. I’m not trying to sound judgemental, I think a lot of people go through PUA phase at some point but don’t try and convince me that it’s about loving and respecting women.
(edited 6 years ago)
I don’t know about straight girls but I’m a gay guy and I like men despite their look. I find some men just attractive by nature and some men I hate touching them. It’s the soul that is attractive not the appearance something about the face
Original post by ANM775
majority were around average or below average [3 to 6] ...and most were ethnic.

probably around 10% I would class 7+

looking back it's easy to see why so few were 7+
they didn't need PUA, they were able to get by on looks

I think probably I was around a 6 in those days. tbh it can be hard to say if you're self rating.

There was this big event called The saturday sarge up in central london every weekend. I went a few times. So many guys turned up to that thing [like 50+] ...and we used to be given "talks" in the backstreets/alleyways from people well known in the industry [I remember listening to hayley quinn, tbh i swear she was giving me IOI's at one point but perhaps I imagined it lmao]

Then afterwards we would break off into small groups and start approaching. Sometimes we'd have a "coach" with us. When we would all meet up again outside Pret in leicester square to regroup ...you'd ask around "who got any numbers?" and usually only about 10% of people had gotten anything. and hardly anyone was actually successfully converting these numbers to dates either

I bumped in Yad one day when sarging too. He had a "client" with him and tbh it did not seem like things were going well.

Never did meet that Kezia woman. Shame.....

I'm not surprised it was unsuccessful, most girls simply don't want to be stopped on the street in the daytime. Especially by some 5/10 guy awkwardly hovering around, clearly on the pull. I think it's probably still good practice though and gets you out your comfort zone. A lot of pua stuff is just common sense and things a lot of guys do naturally but I think it can still be good for guys who are useless, may as well get as much help as they can get. And lol hayley is a massive tease so I can definitely imagine that
Original post by claireogun
Should it be personality over looks or should looks be the main part?

If you are gunning for an actual long-term committed relationship, then I would say that both are vitally important.

Couples which are miss-matched in personality and lack any mutual interests etc, tend to bore of each other very quickly. It's important to have good communication in a relationship, but what communication can there be if neither party are interested in talking to each other? What harmony can there be if humour is not shared (and you find each others company very grating or dull)? Etc.

On the other hand, having a satisfying sex life makes a couple much more well-bonded. And its very hard to have a satisfying life if you aren't actually actually sexually aroused by your other half!
Many relationships suffer serious difficulties (even failing altogether) because of mismatched libidos or loss of sexual attraction placing too much strain on the relationship.

Sexual arousal is physical and mental, but no matter how much the mental side is great, if there's no physical attraction, then there's no physical attraction (and its not something that can be satisfactorily replaced or faked). People are often attracted to each other initially by looks, but its personality (and various other factors, such as similar IQ levels) that really makes a relationship harmonious, prosper and last the trials of time.

It is also very important (if not even more important) to look after yourself from a health point of view too. Many people only try to be healthier from a cosmetic perspective (and will sometimes even do very unhealthy things in a bid to look better externally), but maintaining good health also helps maintain a healthy happy relationship too. For example the last thing you want to have to worry about daily is the love of your life suffering from a heart attack, liver disease or dying of lung cancer etc because they just won't get their obesity/excess drinking habits/smoking sorted out (for themselves, their partner or their broader family).
When you are in a relationship, you have to be considerate of what effect your choices have on your other half (and they need to be considerate of you too).

Original post by claireogun
my friends always say "you won't be walking down the street with their personality though" . I personally think it should be personality with looks as only a small part of it ......

I think your friend is missing the point quite a lot. What your friend is saying is actually incredibly shallow; what matters most is not whether the majority of other people regard your partner as being really good looking, but whether YOU regard your partner as being attractive or not (and those can be two very different things!).

What you find genuinely good looking will also pervade makeup or fashionable clothes etc. Its a genetic harmony, a genuine chemistry, that can't simply created alone by exterior efforts (although exterior efforts can certain improve exterior appeal). You also need to be able to have down time in a relationship (where you can just lounge around in your comfy clothes etc) and still know that your partner finds you attractive (knowing that they find you attractive with or without a high maintenance look etc).

If all it took was good looks to make a relationship work, then why do so many good looking people get dumped all the time? Why are so many good looking people so hopelessly single?

Because the reality is that when you actually look at happy couple's walking down the street (or one's you know in real life in general), most are not especial from societal beauty standards. But what has made things work for those couple's, is that they find each other attractive and they enjoy each other's company :smile: .
Reply 39
Would you date a butt-ugly guy? theres your answer

It certainly shouldn't be the only thing you base your decision on but there needs to be mutual attraction between the two.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending