The Student Room Group

Is anyone else an ‘old soul’ and have these problems?/ feel this way

Basically I’m a little bit of a loner, but by choice. I enjoy my own company and discovering new things, reading books, doing something creative, listening to music... My friends keep asking me to ‘make plans’ but I honestly feel no need I feel drained being around my friends for long periods of time and I tend to get on with people older than me.

I wouldn’t say I’m unpopular or disliked I just don’t really care about popularity or how many friends I have on Facebook or likes. I use to when I was like 13-15 but now I’m 17 I feel no need. I don’t need the approval of others and I always get told I’m quiet, but I don’t think that’s a bad thing and I’m quite comfortable being that way I think it’s nice to observe and anticipate other people’s emotions.

I use to wish I could be like everyone else going out to parties and doing whatever everyone else is doing, but I feel like maybe if I was 20 years older my mind would match my age. At the moment I have no one I ‘click’ with apart from a really nice teacher I talk to who is double my age because I can have a more meaningful conversation with her rather than my friends. They know nothing about me and I know nothing about them either which is a little sad.

When I was 15 I felt like I was defective because I always wanted to be alone and sometimes I still get a horrible gut feeling that I’m doing something wrong or that I should be out in the world living my life rather than stuck indoors.
(edited 6 years ago)
I’m 18 and I’m exactly the same way! Even to the point where I have meaningful conversations with a teacher.
I’ve never found anyone else who is like this and my peers think it’s odd and teachers always seem to think there’s something upsetting me. But actually I just enjoy my own company and am perfectly content in my own world!
Here’s to loners by choice! 🥂
Don't worry its just a phase. You'll change as you get older. :wink:
Reply 3
Original post by lphillips4
I’m 18 and I’m exactly the same way! Even to the point where I have meaningful conversations with a teacher.
I’ve never found anyone else who is like this and my peers think it’s odd and teachers always seem to think there’s something upsetting me. But actually I just enjoy my own company and am perfectly content in my own world!
Here’s to loners by choice! 🥂

This made me so happy and same here!❤️
Original post by Anonymal
This made me so happy and same here!❤️

I’m glad to hear that! 😊❤️
Original post by Anonymal
I don’t need the approval of others and I always get told I’m quiet, but I don’t think that’s a bad thing and I’m quite comfortable being that way I think it’s nice to observe and anticipate other people’s emotions.

This post sounds like you are seeking the approval of others and you're clearly seeking other similar people so maybe deep down you don't want to be a loner? You might just be in denial and using your 'old soul' as an excuse to not make the effort with people. Being an introvert is fine but sound like you think you're super woke, more mature than your peers and really unique. I don't think this is a choice, I think you're just still too young and scared to put yourself out there and this seems the easier option. It sounds like you're not giving people your age a chance and you're judging them too quickly. A lot of people share your interests but you just assume you're unique. Perhaps you won't meet anyone you really click with til you're at uni or in a job. But I think you'll regret closing yourself off so much. I probably sound a bit harsh but as an introvert who has also had friends who have done what you've done and got themselves in a depressed state, I'd quite like to prevent you from reaching that point. Luckily most of my friends who have been down that path haven now come out the other end and are letting people into their lives again.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
This post sounds like you are seeking the approval of others and you're clearly seeking other similar people so maybe deep down you don't want to be a loner? You might just be in denial and using your 'old soul' as an excuse to not make the effort with people. Being an introvert is fine but sound like you think you're super woke, more mature than your peers and really unique. I don't think this is a choice, I think you're just still too young and scared to put yourself out there and this seems the easier option. It sounds like you're not giving people your age a chance and you're judging them too quickly. A lot of people share your interests but you just assume you're unique. Perhaps you won't meet anyone you really click with til you're at uni or in a job. But I think you'll regret closing yourself off so much. I probably sound a bit harsh but as an introvert who has also had friends who have done what you've done and got themselves in a depressed state, I'd quite like to prevent you from reaching that point. Luckily most of my friends who have been down that path haven now come out the other end and are letting people into their lives again.

When I posted this I thought the same thing to be honest yeah so maybe. I’ll take it on the chin and learn it sounds like a realistic thing to happen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending