The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reading about the girl who failed twice, i think her examiners' reasons for failing her were justified.

Pesonally better to have an examiner who is 'harsh' than lenient, you will see when you pass, there are all kinds of idiots on the road and you will wonder to yourself, 'who actually thought they were good enough to pass?!' (Not that i believe i'm really good, just competent)

Chin up, work hard on improving your driving technique during your lessons and dont give up, you will get there in the end!

If you fail again as annoying as it might be, just try to accept that you werent ready this time and reflect carefully on why you didn't pass. I had to but i finally got there and im glad i passed when i did instead of on my previous tests as i know for sure that i was really ready then
Reply 61
I had 10 minors yet received a total fail for driving 10 mph under the speed limit on a stretch of road I had never driven on before and was only a mile long so the national speed limit sign seemed too fast for me to hit the busy roundabout coming up. I have been driving for 20 years and have never had an accident or other issue. If they fail me when I have driven all over the world (in cars, on motorcylces and in military vehicles) with a clean track record for being 'too safe' then I know for a fact it was for the money and no other issue. The guy knew it and I knew it and he didn't look me in the eye at the end of the test. Also, Edinburgh has a 48% pass rate. Nuff said. Gotta line the pockets somehow.
Original post by Airis
I had 10 minors yet received a total fail for driving 10 mph under the speed limit on a stretch of road I had never driven on before and was only a mile long so the national speed limit sign seemed too fast for me to hit the busy roundabout coming up. I have been driving for 20 years and have never had an accident or other issue. If they fail me when I have driven all over the world (in cars, on motorcylces and in military vehicles) with a clean track record for being 'too safe' then I know for a fact it was for the money and no other issue. The guy knew it and I knew it and he didn't look me in the eye at the end of the test. Also, Edinburgh has a 48% pass rate. Nuff said. Gotta line the pockets somehow.

yeah, 10 minors really isnt good, considering you've been driving for 20 years, there's 17 year old children that have had 20 hours of lessons and pass with one or two minors

And to go 10mph under the speed limit, when it was obviously deemed safe to do the limit really does beggar belief, you wouldn't be penalized for going 50 if it wasn't safe to go 60.

and 'seemed too fast to hit the roundabout' a mile away, you do know your car has brakes, no? maybe you're just not a good driver like you think you are.
Reply 63
It amazes me how so many of you here are so quick to defend the driving examiners.

Either a lot of you are driving examiners yourself or you work for the DVSA because your constant defending isn't even based on something you've experienced first hand.

I can tell you now Driving Examiners are encouraged to fail more people for the sake of generating more money from the masses. Also, the driving examiners have WAY too much power.

I have only taken my driving test once so far and had my 2nd attempt cancelled due to driving examiners being on strike recently. When I failed I knew I failed. However, I have seen with my own eyes SO much inconsistency with driving examiners.

I watched a guy bay parking without once looking over his shoulder. My instructor and I sat there watching the examiner sit there and observe and we were both agreeing the person should fail. The examiner passed him and we were both gobsmacked.

The reason why I believe they have too much power is because it is their word against the learner. The instructor can sit in the back but it is still nothing they can do. If you complain about the examiner being unfair you have no proof based on what either person says. If you want to have proof via some sort of video footage the DVSA forbids it. Why do they forbid it?

Like I put, too much power for the examiner. They could be having a bad day and might decide to fail every person they test. One employee could become cynical with his job and becomes too strict. Maybe he nearly collided with some stupid boy racer one time in his life so prejudges all young potentials as a danger too much.
Nowadays it is 62 quid a pop and you could be failed for something stupid that was actually not dangerous and could simply be the examiner assuming something himself.

There should be camera recording for every test/exam so that fairness is enforced each and every time.

I'd like to see what defence you people can come up with as to WHY recording of the test is forbidden.
Original post by Red Jack
I'd like to see what defence you people can come up with as to WHY recording of the test is forbidden.

So instructors don't teach pupils how to drive the test route rather than how to drive safely...
Reply 65
Original post by TheMcSame
So instructors don't teach pupils how to drive the test route rather than how to drive safely...

Almost a good reply except most driving instructors learn the test routes of their catchment area off by heart and usually aid their learner by letting them try out the test routes. This has been done for me and many many other learner drivers.

There is no great secret about the test routes. A recording of the test happening is not going to aid a potential learner through the devious nature of a driving instructor. Pop by on youtube and loads of test routes are shown all over the UK.

I'm hoping you, or someone has a better justifiable reason why recording of tests by the examiner are forbidden.

Otherwise, my belief still stands that it is simply to ensure the DVSA (aided by the government) can leech as much money off the general public as they can.
Original post by Red Jack
Almost a good reply except most driving instructors learn the test routes of their catchment area off by heart and usually aid their learner by letting them try out the test routes. This has been done for me and many many other learner drivers.

There is no great secret about the test routes. A recording of the test happening is not going to aid a potential learner through the devious nature of a driving instructor. Pop by on youtube and loads of test routes are shown all over the UK.

I'm hoping you, or someone has a better justifiable reason why recording of tests by the examiner are forbidden.

Otherwise, my belief still stands that it is simply to ensure the DVSA (aided by the government) can leech as much money off the general public as they can.

The fact that the only people preaching about the driving test being a scam are people that've failed at least 1 test is enough evidence for me.

Wash the salt out your wound and just accept that you weren't up to par.
Just had the worse driving test, pulling out the test center the lady braked for me but I had already braked so that completely through me off and I was already a nervous wreck my examiner didn't been smile was a stern looking lady well she got me to go up a really steep hill and stop at the top and then pull away thing is she told me to hurry up so I got soo flustered I kept stalling and rolling back down the hill in the end I started crying and said I couldn't do it and I don't wanna carry in with my test. My instructor had to drive us back to the rest center and I can honestly say I have never felt soo embarassed un my life especially when I know I drive perfectly on a lesson
There's no need for examiners to be rude and harsh as that only makes our nerves worse.
To be fair, I don't see why tests aren't recorded. Instead of a driving examiner having an examiner sit in on them, they should have a random selection of recorded tests reviewed quarterly. This way they don't know which test is being examined. Same reason why schools should not be told when they have an ofsted inspection.
Original post by Jadechels1997
Just had the worse driving test, pulling out the test center the lady braked for me but I had already braked so that completely through me off and I was already a nervous wreck my examiner didn't been smile was a stern looking lady well she got me to go up a really steep hill and stop at the top and then pull away thing is she told me to hurry up so I got soo flustered I kept stalling and rolling back down the hill in the end I started crying and said I couldn't do it and I don't wanna carry in with my test. My instructor had to drive us back to the rest center and I can honestly say I have never felt soo embarassed un my life especially when I know I drive perfectly on a lesson
There's no need for examiners to be rude and harsh as that only makes our nerves worse.

OMG this was literally me in my last test :frown:
Reply 70
Why people say tests and examiners are fixed is beyond me. It's not fixed. Get over yourselves. Some examiners expect more than others. That's very true. I passed 3rd time. First time around I pulled out a junction far too slowly and I was too slow and another car was already on its way round. That particular examiner was so stern. He never smiled never spoke and said he didn't understand why I made the mistakes I did (basically calling me stupid). Next time around I had a lady and she was lovely. Absolutely lovely. But she had to break for me ON THE WAY OUT OF THE CENTRE!! Silly mistake by me! She insisted I carried on with the test for the experience and to get my money's worth basically. I cried the whole way around and I got so I bad I had to pull over because I couldn't see through the tears. I got 1 serious and 0 minors! So I thought right that's it 3rd time I'm gonna do it....got a very stern man (looked like the demon headmaster) I'd heard rumours about him and knew he failed a few....he did have very high expectations but he spoke to me....asked me about my life my children (when it was appropriate of course) and he just made me relax and I passed :smile: there was a woman there that hated when you got too close to parked cars and she'd just fail you instantly. The point I'm trying to make is that some people have different expectations. What might be small and silly to you isn't to them. And rightly so. The roads are filled with morons that clearly have been passed by someone who couldn't care less. I don't at all dispute the silly minors I got through my tests because I compare myself to the first test and to what I was my 3rd test and I was a better driver 110%. It's all learning....even though I know it's the worst!!
Hi there unfortunately I failed my 6 driving test every driving test is more worst then previous one ,I feel more pressure to pass every time , I thought automatic car is easiest way to pass the driving test but I continue failing my driving test due to speed hesitation too slow or faster then the limit I drive everyday with my wife cause she holds full license I consider my self a very good driver atleast better then my wife but simply I can't pass
Seriously, everyone here who failed ask yourself this. Is the reason the examiner gave legitimate? Sorry, but going 50 down a wide NSL road in good conditions is not acceptable. Hesitating or pulling out of a junction/roundabout inappropriately is not acceptable. Not checking your mirrors is unacceptable. So what if some people got off lightly, you didn't and that's what counts. Concentrate on fixing what you failed on and stop whinging that the test is rigged or whatever.
Aye I've got admit these driving examiners must be a point system or something .the pass 3 tests I've took they failed cause I stalled a car but thing is started up and went .heres a laugh for you examiner says he's never ever installed a car in his life .i find that hard to believe cause this examiner passed by me in the town he stalled his car at traffic lights .i chapped his window and says thought you don't stall cars . Honestly these examiners are playing dirty tricks .i think it's time we should have a virtual driving test machine without examiner in the car .virtual is the way forward.examiners get 30 grand a year .it would've cheaper buying a machine the ultimate virtual driving test that knows exactly if you failed or passed .
Reply 74
This is interesting! Sorry to the people who haven't quite made it yet and better luck next time. I failed my first driving test 12 years ago because I drove in a bus lane. I got the 1 serious fault and no minors! But it actually took too long for me to pull my finger out, grow up, understand and accept that driving in a bus lane is an offence. There is a penalty! It's easy, I know, to pretend that you don't understand why you have failed. It makes you feel better doesn't it? To make yourself believe that it was unfair and try to make others believe too. I've read a few comments here and I do feel for some of you, but to not realise that driving too fast is dangerous and that driving too slowly or being hesitant is serious too then perhaps driving isn't for you. Also I think that I read here that someone was told that they were too safe. They were hesitant and overly causious, therefore no where near ready and were lucky to have such a nice driving examiner who put it like that. Don't believe that passing the UK practical driving test is hard. It's not, it's easy! Believe it and you'll pass.
I'm thinking of taking a dashcam with me(no audio) on my 4th test as I failed 3 the 1st 2 were my fault I failed and the 3rd time the instructor failed me for doing 3-5mph over the 30 limit as I was driving through a 40 changing into a 30. I'm Hoping the camera will make the examiner aware that I am willing to use the video evidence against him/her if they fail me even though the whole video shows that I drove safe and legal as I'm hearing alot of scenarios where examiners are failing people to keep to their quota which i think is illegal and corrupt if the driver drove safe and legal but still failed.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 76
Original post by Dazza1991
I'm thinking of taking a dashcam with me(no audio) on my 4th test as I failed 3 the 1st 2 were my fault I failed and the 3rd time the instructor failed me for doing 3-5mph over the 30 limit as I was driving through a 40 changing into a 30. I'm Hoping the camera will make the examiner aware that I am willing to use the video evidence against him/her if they fail me even though the whole video shows that I drove safe and legal as I'm hearing alot of scenarios where examiners are failing people to keep to their quota which i think is illegal and corrupt if the driver drove safe and legal but still failed.

You broke the speed limit and don't see why you failed? :facepalm:
I past first time, sorted!!
my first examiner failed me for going on the pavement, fair enough.

BUT

before the test started he laughed at me for getting the show me tell me question wrong!
I was blessed with two lovely examiners, both failed me. I understand why I failed with the first, not so much with the second.

Then, on my third attempt, I got a decievingly nice examiner who turned out to be a bit of prat less than fifteen minutes in. I remember I was waiting for a place to go at a mini roundabout. Fair enough, I missed a pretty good opening but I would've rather received a minor for hesitation than risk a collision for rushing. So I stayed put for maybe 8-10 more seconds. Suddenly, my examiner is yelling "well look!! You just missed a perfectly good opening, get going will you!!??"

I was pretty shook. Then less than ten seconds later, because I was so distracted by how he'd spoken to me, I tried to fit through an apparently "too small" gap (despite traffic in front of me fitting through perfectly fine) and he screamed at me to hit the brakes. Thought I was done for. Examiner kept heaving these huge, over-exaggerated sighs throughout the rest of drive and I wanted to open the door and kick him out of the car.

He made a lot of sarcastic remarks, like when he asked me to pull over and then rejoin traffic. I hadn't even taken that long, but at one point, he went "Hell, any day now." Didn't know examiners existed like that.

Who would've known, he passed me.

Latest

Trending

Trending