The Student Room Group

Using dating sites for dating vs hookups

Just wondered which sites people might recommend for people looking for serious dating/whether Tinder was mainly just for hookups or dating?

Also might sound silly but what are some obvious signs that a guy online is only looking for sex?

I'm a 26 year-old girl, just joined Tinder recently but close to deleting it. I matched right away with an Italian guy who looked like a model.. I messaged him asking how he was doing and he told me straight away that I was 'really hot'.

Thought it was a bit direct but thanked him and returned the compliment, then he literally started right away with explicit messages like 'I want you now ' etc. So I blocked him.

The thing is he was extremely good-looking, I mean supermodel material which made me wonder if it was a fake profile, but his photos looked realistic.

Does anyone have advice about how to find genuine/serious people on dating sites and how to have a better experience? Thanks
Reply 1
Also found that I've matched with several guys on Tinder but none of them even write to you, or if you write the nthey don't reply.. only a small number who do write.
Original post by Anonymous
Just wondered which sites people might recommend for people looking for serious dating/whether Tinder was mainly just for hookups or dating?

Also might sound silly but what are some obvious signs that a guy online is only looking for sex?

I'm a 26 year-old girl, just joined Tinder recently but close to deleting it. I matched right away with an Italian guy who looked like a model.. I messaged him asking how he was doing and he told me straight away that I was 'really hot'.

Thought it was a bit direct but thanked him and returned the compliment, then he literally started right away with explicit messages like 'I want you now ' etc. So I blocked him.

The thing is he was extremely good-looking, I mean supermodel material which made me wonder if it was a fake profile, but his photos looked realistic.

Does anyone have advice about how to find genuine/serious people on dating sites and how to have a better experience? Thanks

Most boys want to hook up

Most girls want to genuinely date
Original post by Kyber Ninja
Most boys want to hook up

Most girls want to genuinely date

Even on Tinder?
Reply 4

sounds like someone was running an experiment tbh :rofl:
3 rules of online dating sites.

1. Profile photos may or may not bear any resemblance to the person in real life - even if they are pictures of the actual person that created the profile.

2. How the photos look will be totally unconnected to what the person is like on the inside. You will be able to tell nothing about the person's character or personality from the photos.

3 Men outnumber women. Women with attractive photos will get a LOT of attention.

Overall tip: keep an open mind. Don't take anything at face value. Treat it as a numbers game. You may have to "kiss a lot of frogs" before you meet your prince. Be prepared for a lot of lies, deceptions and miss-selling on an industry-wide PPI scale.
Reply 6
Original post by Dunnig Kruger

3 Men outnumber women. Women will get a LOT of attention.

fixed point 3 for ya
Even on Tinder?

Typically
Reply 8
Have a nice photo of yourself, followed by some pics of you on travels, with friends etc.
I'm on Tinder, Bumble (girl has to message first if you match), OK Cupid etc, and I'm just on those for a relationship.
Don't get any matches or hits, but that doesn't matter.
I do hope you find someone worth your time and efforts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending