The Student Room Group

Will having a mix of BTECs and A-levels affect me?

I'm studying two A-levels and a single BTEC, and I was wondering if having two A-level qualifications next to a BTEC qualification will affect uni's when they're accepting students?
Depends what kind of BTEC it is and for what course. I did a BTEC style qualification and two A Levels and I am currently resitting and I am going to go to Nottingham this year for Politics.
Reply 2
Resitting what? And my A-levels are sociology and English Literature and the BTEC is health and Social Care but I'm hoping to study an English and Creative Writing course
Of course it doesn’t matter! The only difference between BTEC and A-Levels is that you’re not sitting an exam. BTEC grades are equivalent to —levels. I don’t understand why a university won’t accept you if you meet their grade/point boundaries.
Original post by anonymousxo98
Of course it doesn’t matter! The only difference between BTEC and A-Levels is that you’re not sitting an exam. BTEC grades are equivalent to —levels. I don’t understand why a university won’t accept you if you meet their grade/point boundaries.

Lol
Original post by Cedgy_
Resitting what? And my A-levels are sociology and English Literature and the BTEC is health and Social Care but I'm hoping to study an English and Creative Writing course

English Lit and English Language. For an English degree, Eng Lit is the most important subject and you already have it covered. Most universities will accept BTECs even if it doesn't say. I was very deterred to apply for a Politics course with a BTEC as I was originally informed from Nottingham that I would need three A Levels. However, in my PS I explained how I made sure my BTEC was relevant and the knowledge I learned from it that I can apply for a Politics degree. It's really important you explain what you know from the BTEC that can help you for your degree as admissions teams love it when you take the time to discuss your subjects especially when they are unconventional.
Reply 6
Original post by dontgivea
English Lit and English Language. For an English degree, Eng Lit is the most important subject and you already have it covered. Most universities will accept BTECs even if it doesn't say. I was very deterred to apply for a Politics course with a BTEC as I was originally informed from Nottingham that I would need three A Levels. However, in my PS I explained how I made sure my BTEC was relevant and the knowledge I learned from it that I can apply for a Politics degree. It's really important you explain what you know from the BTEC that can help you for your degree as admissions teams love it when you take the time to discuss your subjects especially when they are unconventional.
Ah so in my case,im hoping to become an english teacher, so if I were to say my BTEC in health and social care could be applied into my teaching, do you think that would work? or would it have to apply directly to the course?
Original post by Cedgy_
Ah so in my case,im hoping to become an english teacher, so if I were to say my BTEC in health and social care could be applied into my teaching, do you think that would work? or would it have to apply directly to the course?

I reckon so, most teaching courses do accept BTEC Health and Social so I see no reason why it will deter you in any way but don't make your BTEC the sole focus of your PS, instead discuss English and your other subject but do explain how your BTEC is relevant in any way.
I know someone that done three BTEC's equivalent for A levels and walked out with three distinctions, and has graduated last year with first class degree, so no it does not matter.
Reply 9
Original post by dontgivea
I reckon so, most teaching courses do accept BTEC Health and Social so I see no reason why it will deter you in any way but don't make your BTEC the sole focus of your PS, instead discuss English and your other subject but do explain how your BTEC is relevant in any way.

Ahh okay, thank you for your help!!
Original post by Cedgy_
I'm studying two A-levels and a single BTEC, and I was wondering if having two A-level qualifications next to a BTEC qualification will affect uni's when they're accepting students?

It doesn’t matter! As long as you’ve met the criteria of the course you’re wanting to study for uni then you’re fine! Good luck. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending