The Student Room Group

Sitting on an exercise ball?

I have a desk job that requires me to sit for 8+ hours per day. I have a nice chair and a foot stool to keep my legs on. I try to get up and move as much as I can; but really I don’t get to get up much. L I have heard that sitting on an exercise ball rather than a desk chair is comfortable. I am having issues with my back and but being sore from sitting too much. Has anyone tried the exercise ball instead of an office chair? What is your experience???
Reply 1
If your back and bum are sore you're probably not sitting right, have tightness and/or muscle weakness that should be addressed if you don't want it get worse

Sitting on a ball can make your posture right, you know how your chair is all adjustable so you can get in a good position relative to your desk? Balls don't do that. You might not have the strength to sit with good posture on a ball, least not for extended periods of time. I'm not saying it's bad for you if you were to do it, just there's a reason we're not all doing it
Reply 2
Exercise balls are great if you’re trying to gain more core strength (as you constantly have to move to keep balanced) but if your back is messed up already it’s just going to make it 100x worse. Setup a chair properly and you’ll find it way more comfortable than an exercise ball
Original post by amandash
I have a desk job that requires me to sit for 8+ hours per day. I have a nice chair and a foot stool to keep my legs on. I try to get up and move as much as I can; but really I don’t get to get up much. L I have heard that sitting on an exercise ball rather than a desk chair is comfortable. I am having issues with my back and but being sore from sitting too much. Has anyone tried the exercise ball instead of an office chair? What is your experience???

You don't need any exercise ball. What you need is regular exercise after you come back from office. There's an app called 7 minutes workout. It basically consists of exercises for all your body muscles. It may seem tough in the start but once you get the hang of it you will feel so much better about yourself.
Reply 4
perhaps try investing in ergonomic seating, specifically designed to prevent the pain that you have been experiencing
The exercise ball is very good for having to do the best workout for maintaing good physicial health...

Latest