The Student Room Group

Retaking 2nd year at uni-tuition fee paid or not?

I was at uni from October 2015 to June 2017 studying biology, then I dropped out. In September 2018 I started a new music course but stayed on for only 6 weeks after dropping out. I borrowed £3900 in maintenance loan for the music course. Will student finance fund my tuition fees if I go back to my original uni to retake year 2 of my biology course? I've come to realise Biology is my true passion, and I would love to get a bachelors degree and maybe even go on to do a masters in biology. Surely student finance would fund me as it's a waste of money if I don't complete the degree. Also I might be able to say I had extenuating circumstances as I dropped out in 2017 due to schizophrenia...
Original post by ChaosVenom
I was at uni from October 2015 to June 2017 studying biology, then I dropped out. In September 2018 I started a new music course but stayed on for only 6 weeks after dropping out. I borrowed £3900 in maintenance loan for the music course. Will student finance fund my tuition fees if I go back to my original uni to retake year 2 of my biology course? I've come to realise Biology is my true passion, and I would love to get a bachelors degree and maybe even go on to do a masters in biology. Surely student finance would fund me as it's a waste of money if I don't complete the degree. Also I might be able to say I had extenuating circumstances as I dropped out in 2017 due to schizophrenia...

Hi there,

Can you confirm if it's 2 or 3 years previous study you have done? Even if you attended for short period this would be counted as 1 year. Every student is entitled to funding for the length of their course plus 1 additional year minus any previous study, whether completed or not. If you have any Compelling Personal Reasons why you didn't complete your previous course, you can provide evidence of this to see if it is possible to get an additional year of finance. The Evidence can be a letter from someone in a profession i.e Doctor or Lecturer who knows of the Compelling Personal Reasons. They would need to confirm they know what the Compelling Personal Reasons are, how it affected you studies and dates of when it affected you. The letter must be on headed paper signed and dated and once received would be up to the assessor if they're happy to accept it.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 2
I didn't realize even 6 weeks of study would count as a whole year :/. In that case I did 2 years of biology, and 1 year (6 weeks) of music, so that's 3 years of study. I would like to retake year 2 and then go on to year 3 of my biology course. Also I think I have extenuating circumstances as I dropped out initially due to an illness.
Reply 3
so basically we have a maximum of 4 years of student finance? Or i'm i misunderstanding?
Reply 4
Original post by stan_95
so basically we have a maximum of 4 years of student finance? Or i'm i misunderstanding?

Yeah I think it's 4 years max, but with extenuating circumstances it might be more than 4 years....
Original post by ChaosVenom
Yeah I think it's 4 years max, but with extenuating circumstances it might be more than 4 years....

Hi ChaosVenom,

If your new course is 3 years the calculation would be: 3 years (length of new course) plus one additional year equals 4, minus your previous study of 3 years equals 1 year remaining, this is always given in your final year. If you have Compelling Personal Reasons evidence you can send this in with the application and a covering letter, explaining why you're sending it. It will be up to the assessor when received if they're happy to accept this to award another year of funding.

Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending