The Student Room Group

Uni Firm Choice

I'm having a dilemma based on where to firm and insure. I'm currently relying on the 14 day window in which I can potentially change my choices around. I have been torn on 2 different unis and I'm wondering if I've made the right decision or not. The uni I want to change to isn't my insurance choice so I ended up turning it down but I think UCAS said I can change them?

Uni 1 (I firmed this) has the better course but I'm not sure I like the location enough to want to live there. It's a long walk away from town and to where the Music faculty is so it feels a little inconvenient. I'm doing Music and I'm a little wary about their practice facilities, especially their availability during exam periods.

Uni 2 (I'm reconsidering this) has a course which is still good but not as preferable as uni 1. However, I currently have a job close to home which ties in nicely with my plans to do graduate medicine which I have been considering and am committing towards.

Is it worth changing my uni choice over merely a job that could get me to where I want to be in the long term? Also, any insight into living at home for uni is appreciated as that is something I'm curious about. I know this sounds like a ridiculous situation but I would appreciate all the help I can get. Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by londonbusqueen
I'm having a dilemma based on where to firm and insure. I'm currently relying on the 14 day window in which I can potentially change my choices around. I have been torn on 2 different unis and I'm wondering if I've made the right decision or not. The uni I want to change to isn't my insurance choice so I ended up turning it down but I think UCAS said I can change them?

Uni 1 (I firmed this) has the better course but I'm not sure I like the location enough to want to live there. It's a long walk away from town and to where the Music faculty is so it feels a little inconvenient. I'm doing Music and I'm a little wary about their practice facilities, especially their availability during exam periods.

Uni 2 (I'm reconsidering this) has a course which is still good but not as preferable as uni 1. However, I currently have a job close to home which ties in nicely with my plans to do graduate medicine which I have been considering and am committing towards.

Is it worth changing my uni choice over merely a job that could get me to where I want to be in the long term? Also, any insight into living at home for uni is appreciated as that is something I'm curious about. I know this sounds like a ridiculous situation but I would appreciate all the help I can get. Thank you!

Why are you looking to study music if you want to do GEM, surely biology, bio-science, natural sciences etc... would make you a more competitive candidate given GEM is even more competitive than undergrad medicine
I took Chemistry A Level but I don't have Biology A Level. I have a feeling more Science related courses require you to have two sciences and I only have one so I'm a bit stuck. I was undecided between Music and Medicine in Year 12 but ended up deciding on doing Music so dropped Biology (which seems like a bad decision in hindsight but it's too late now)
Original post by mnot
Why are you looking to study music if you want to do GEM, surely biology, bio-science, natural sciences etc... would make you a more competitive candidate given GEM is even more competitive than undergrad medicine
Reply 3
I'm still so confused at this at many levels.

Let me get this straight, you're debating on whether to choose a music degree or to graduate in medicine which is something you're more committed towards?

I'm going to guess you're high right now.
I wanted to do a Music degree as it's something I've always enjoyed. I was conflicted between doing Medicine or Music at undergrad so I ultimately decided on Music. I thought GEM could be a route I could take after doing Music but I'm not so sure now
Original post by Xarao
I'm still so confused at this at many levels.

Let me get this straight, you're debating on whether to choose a music degree or to graduate in medicine which is something you're more committed towards?

I'm going to guess you're high right now.
You can apply after you finish your music course but you could also take a gap year and sort it out then?
Reply 6
I wanted to do a Music degree as it's something I've always enjoyed. I was conflicted between doing Medicine or Music at undergrad so I ultimately decided on Music. I thought GEM could be a route I could take after doing Music but I'm not so sure now

You could do GEM with a music degree. However, given you already know you'd like to do it, it is a ridiculously unnecessary expense.
That sounds the most sensible, hopefully that would give me some time to really decide on what I want to do :smile:
Original post by TheYearNiner
You can apply after you finish your music course but you could also take a gap year and sort it out then?
The problem is, I don't have Biology A Level so I can't go straight into undergrad medicine. I can't find any courses which would accept me with only Chemistry as a science so I'm pursuing this option instead (also, I do really enjoy Music so I decided based on that)
Original post by NHSFan
You could do GEM with a music degree. However, given you already know you'd like to do it, it is a ridiculously unnecessary expense.
Reply 9
The problem is, I don't have Biology A Level so I can't go straight into undergrad medicine. I can't find any courses which would accept me with only Chemistry as a science so I'm pursuing this option instead (also, I do really enjoy Music so I decided based on that)

If you get at least AAA in your A levels, you could have a Gap Year and find a job as a Health Care Assistant, and take Biology A level to apply for the standard medicine course. Or, you could apply for a foundation course like the one at Manchester, which provides a route for those without science A levels.

https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2019/01430/mbchb-medicine-6-years-including-foundation-year/

You can continue with your music as a hobby.
Original post by NHSFan
If you get at least AAA in your A levels, you could have a Gap Year and find a job as a Health Care Assistant, and take Biology A level to apply for the standard medicine course. Or, you could apply for a foundation course like the one at Manchester, which provides a route for those without science A levels.

https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2019/01430/mbchb-medicine-6-years-including-foundation-year/

This is a much more sensible route if you really wanna do medicine. You could even email & try and get a clearing spot on the foundation programme.

Medicine shouldn't be done a whim tho, but if you really want to do it this is a good route to follow.
choose / vote for the uniform which looks most decent - i'd recommend staying away from the bright blue blazers
I had a look at the foundation course, thank you so much for your help! It looks brilliant and I'll definitely consider it :smile:
Original post by NHSFan

Reply 13
that is not true at all im in year 12 and im gunna aply med and theres bare places that dont need a level bio
This probably sounds like a ridiculous question but the website said offers are only made to those who are given an interview so what would you say the likelihood of them considering me through clearing is?
Original post by mnot
This is a much more sensible route if you really wanna do medicine. You could even email & try and get a clearing spot on the foundation programme.

Medicine shouldn't be done a whim tho, but if you really want to do it this is a good route to follow.
Which places don't require Biology if that's the case? I only have one Science A Level so it's unlikely it'll apply to me
Original post by syrup.02
that is not true at all im in year 12 and im gunna aply med and theres bare places that dont need a level bio
Reply 16
dy do maths??
Which places don't require Biology if that's the case? I only have one Science A Level so it's unlikely it'll apply to me
No I don't
Original post by syrup.02
dy do maths??
This probably sounds like a ridiculous question but the website said offers are only made to those who are given an interview so what would you say the likelihood of them considering me through clearing is?

honestly not very likely,

here would be the approach i would recommend: email expressing interest & you want to take part in the course. Let them know you were uncertain about the best route into studying medicine but you would like to take part on the foundation programme.

Ask if they would consider allowing you to come interview for the program before results day, and if any vacancies became available on results day if they would consider you. if they say no, your in the same place your in now, if they say yes... you have a potential opportunity.
Reply 19
No I don't

Leeds medical:
Chemistry or Biology. If Chemistry is not offered then Biology must be offered with either Physics or Maths at A-Level. Human Biology/Biology and Maths/Further Maths are not considered separate subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending