The Student Room Group

Paying for university required vaccinations

Hi 😊

I am hoping to study Speech and Language Therapy in September and wondered if anyone else (for whatever course or university) has to also pay for a long list of required vaccinations?

I am obviously really grateful to be offered a place and completely understand why I need these vaccinations and blood tests, but it's going to cost me an arm and a leg!
I know others studying medical degrees who have had any required vaccinations paid for. But it doesn't seem to be the case where I am studying. I have also had to pay for my DBS, which others haven't apparently.

Just worried about any other hidden costs before even starting the course!

Anyone else in the same boat?
Original post by JasHarris
Hi 😊

I am hoping to study Speech and Language Therapy in September and wondered if anyone else (for whatever course or university) has to also pay for a long list of required vaccinations?

I am obviously really grateful to be offered a place and completely understand why I need these vaccinations and blood tests, but it's going to cost me an arm and a leg!
I know others studying medical degrees who have had any required vaccinations paid for. But it doesn't seem to be the case where I am studying. I have also had to pay for my DBS, which others haven't apparently.

Just worried about any other hidden costs before even starting the course!

Anyone else in the same boat?

When I studied SLT, any vaccinations I lacked were paid for by the university, but obviously now that the courses aren't all NHS funded, it may have changed.

Obviously these vaccinations and DBS checks are required, so you have no choice -- the other 'hidden' costs I can think of are placement expenses (travel, accommodation, equipment etc.), but other than that there shouldn't be anything else not made explicit.
Don't forget uniform.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
When I studied SLT, any vaccinations I lacked were paid for by the university, but obviously now that the courses aren't all NHS funded, it may have changed.

Obviously these vaccinations and DBS checks are required, so you have no choice -- the other 'hidden' costs I can think of are placement expenses (travel, accommodation, equipment etc.), but other than that there shouldn't be anything else not made explicit.
Original post by Andremasil
Don't forget uniform.

When I went on placement, we were told we either didn't need to wear a uniform, or were given a NHS tunic/polo shirt to wear for free. I know some universities also offer their own branded polo shirts (for free or for a small fee).
Here we need to buy a uniform. One university is 180 pounds, the other one is 100 pounds. I already paid for my NI enhanced check (DBS), but I don't think we have to pay for vaccination (hope so lol)
Original post by PhoenixFortune
When I went on placement, we were told we either didn't need to wear a uniform, or were given a NHS tunic/polo shirt to wear for free. I know some universities also offer their own branded polo shirts (for free or for a small fee).
is not the same course though, but usually health care course the uni ask for uniform, at least here in Northern Ireland they do.
Original post by Andremasil
is not the same course though, but usually health care course the uni ask for uniform, at least here in Northern Ireland they do.

If you're required to wear a uniform for clinical placement it forms part of PPE and should be supplied by your university.
Not in Northern Ireland.. unfortunately :smile:
Original post by moonkatt
If you're required to wear a uniform for clinical placement it forms part of PPE and should be supplied by your university.
Thanks everyone! You've all given me a lot to think about.
I didn't even consider uniforms - so that could be a possibility.

Has anyone been given financial support in terms of placements from their uni? I'm going to try and keep some money back, in case of emergencies.
Original post by JasHarris
Thanks everyone! You've all given me a lot to think about.
I didn't even consider uniforms - so that could be a possibility.

Has anyone been given financial support in terms of placements from their uni? I'm going to try and keep some money back, in case of emergencies.

My course was during the time of NHS funding, so we could claim back certain expenses (accommodation costs, petrol allowance etc.) through them. I'm not sure whether there is any financial help in place now that the NHS funding isn't there, but you are entitled to more loan than I was (NHS students had a non-income assessed loan set at £2324), so perhaps that makes up for it a bit...

Your university will also have a hardship fund, but that is only for temporary shortfalls and needs to be repaid, so not sure if that will help much in your situation.

Quick Reply

Latest