The Student Room Group

My friends judge me because of who I like

There's this boy which I like who my friends+ most people in my year consider to be "weird". I know I shouldn't care what other people think but im scared that if I go out with him , people will make fun of me. They already make fun of me just for being friends with him let alone going out. What should I do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Amieeex
There's this boy which I like who my friends+ most people in my year consider to be "weird". I know I shouldn't care what other people think but im scared that if I go out with him , people will make fun of me. They already make fun of me just for being friends with him let alone going out. What should I do?

if you like him then that's all that matters. People will say something regardless, being in a relationship and being happy will prove to yourself that people don't matter.
Just be yourself thats all you need..Screw what others think about you. If you know its the the right thing to do then go for it..
Original post by Amieeex
Can you handle being made fun of? If so, great, go for it.

If not, then don't. Because you'll no doubt end it with him to stop the comments and that would be unfair on him.
Reply 4
Tbh if u were to go out with him ppl might make fun of u and if u guys were then to break up, they will still make fun of u. If u truly like this boy and u see potential in him go for it. Don’t let other ppl affect ur happiness. Train urself to have that mindset of not caring what ppl think, it will help. People make fun of other ppl regardless, might as well be happy.
Original post by Rocky Handsome
Just be yourself thats all you need..Screw what others think about you. If you know its the the right thing to do then go for it..

speaking from experience..?
Reply 6
Would it be a bad idea to try and keep it secret?

Original post by Amieeex
Nope..I was in this arab school where they bullied a innocent nerd..so I ended up becoming his friend and consoling him. So yeah..always try to nutmeg me ahh? (kuttiya)
Original post by ayyyy.x
speaking from experience..?
are you afraid of the public?
Original post by Amieeex
Original post by Amieeex

Yes. It'll harm his self-esteem. Don't go through with dating someone if you're ashamed to be seen with them.
Reply 10
are you afraid of the public?

Not really its just I like this guy and he likes me , I just don't want to be put off by people making fun of me
Nope..I was in this arab school where they bullied a innocent nerd..so I ended up becoming his friend and consoling him. So yeah..always try to nutmeg me ahh? (kuttiya)

that is sad, good to hear that he had someone there for him.
takes one to know one (learning from the best) and (kutta)
Okay then go for it...if you gonna act like this...things will get worse. So f*ck what others say and do what your heart says.:smile:
Original post by Amieeex
Not really its just I like this guy and he likes me , I just don't want to be put off by people making fun of me
Mhmmmm...At least you know now..
Original post by ayyyy.x
that is sad, good to hear that he had someone there for him.
takes one to know one (learning from the best) and (kutta)
You could date and see how things go, and just be low-key. It's not a secret but nor is it anyone else's business.
I get you tbh. My friends say I have bad taste in guys and that most of them are ugly. You have your own type of guy and your friends can’t change that and no offence but when my friends do say that the guy I’m attracted to is ugly and I tell them they’re being *****y and need to stop looking at people from face value. It’s not about the looks all the time, I mean you need to be attracted to the guy but it’s the personality that counts in the end.
I personally think you should go for him, true friends should be happy to see you happy and not mock you. At the end of the day its, your relationship they won't gain anything from it, do what you want and make sure you have no regrets.
Original post by Amieeex
Reply 17
yes that's exactly how I feel, for me I tend to find guys more attractive as I get closer to them and if they have a good personality, all my friends say how he's ugly and they don't know that I like him they only know that we're friends and tbh I don't want them to find out I like him
Original post by Kaynath04
I get you tbh. My friends say I have bad taste in guys and that most of them are ugly. You have your own type of guy and your friends can’t change that and no offence but when my friends do say that the guy I’m attracted to is ugly and I tell them they’re being *****y and need to stop looking at people from face value. It’s not about the looks all the time, I mean you need to be attracted to the guy but it’s the personality that counts in the end.
Reply 18
thanks, when I first started being his friend they mocked me a bit but now they've gotten used to it they don't tend to say anything so I think they would get used to it If I went out with him
Original post by Elysium View
I personally think you should go for him, true friends should be happy to see you happy and not mock you. At the end of the day its, your relationship they won't gain anything from it, do what you want and make sure you have no regrets.
I don't think you're friends will make fun off you they will probably ask questions and as time passes they might even become friends with him.
Original post by Amieeex
thanks, when I first started being his friend they mocked me a bit but now they've gotten used to it they don't tend to say anything so I think they would get used to it If I went out with him

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending