The Student Room Group

What's the worst sex advice you've received?

We've all been there! :colondollar: Having a question or two about getting jiggy only to have it answered with some truly appalling advice! :eyeball: Or maybe you were young and a protective family member told you something that altered your view of sex for a while? :erm:

Let us know what's the worst sex advice you received! :thumbsup: When did you know it was bad? Did you replace it with good advice? :hmmmm:
My mum barely said a thing advice wise, so i got everything off the internet and school health lessons, the only bad knowledge i had was that a teacher told us completely wrong how the morning after pill worked, so i looked it up instead.
Original post by DrawTheLine
We've all been there! :colondollar: Having a question or two about getting jiggy only to have it answered with some truly appalling advice! :eyeball: Or maybe you were young and a protective family member told you something that altered your view of sex for a while? :erm:

Let us know what's the worst sex advice you received! :thumbsup: When did you know it was bad? Did you replace it with good advice? :hmmmm:
Original post by claireestelle
My mum barely said a thing advice wise, so i got everything off the internet and school health lessons, the only bad knowledge i had was that a teacher told us completely wrong how the morning after pill worked, so i looked it up instead.

My parents were the same as well. Because they never spoke to me about it, I assumed they didn't want to talk about it so I never asked any questions. It's always worrying when teachers give kids the wrong info about sex!
Worst advice "always use a condom". Yes they are necessary if sleeping around but do away with them ASAP in a relationship.
Original post by DrawTheLine
My parents were the same as well. Because they never spoke to me about it, I assumed they didn't want to talk about it so I never asked any questions. It's always worrying when teachers give kids the wrong info about sex!

i hope to be an ask me any question you like parent so they don't feel afraid to learn about anything in life.
Original post by claireestelle
i hope to be an ask me any question you like parent so they don't feel afraid to learn about anything in life.

I hope to be like that too!
"you dont need consent" -my uncle
Original post by ThomasOCallaghan
"you dont need consent" -my uncle

Oh my goodness! Seriously?!
Reply 8
I did grow up pretty well educated on sex and consent etc.

But some bad advice came from friends and even doctors when I was first sexually active and it was awful. So much pain, it wouldn't work etc.

Everyone told me it's just because I wasn't ready, because I didn't trust him or he wasn't right for me, that did upset me quite a bit and after I saw a doctor he said I just needed go relax. The answer was to have a bit of alcohol beforehand to relax me so I wouldn't feel it.
Weren't until I talked to my sister that I really realized it wasn't as simple as that and I got my diagnosis :smile:

Aside from that I knew a few people who thought you can't get pregnant first time you have sex, worst part was some were in college lol
Original post by Elektra06
I did grow up pretty well educated on sex and consent etc.

But some bad advice came from friends and even doctors when I was first sexually active and it was awful. So much pain, it wouldn't work etc.

Everyone told me it's just because I wasn't ready, because I didn't trust him or he wasn't right for me, that did upset me quite a bit and after I saw a doctor he said I just needed go relax. The answer was to have a bit of alcohol beforehand to relax me so I wouldn't feel it.
Weren't until I talked to my sister that I really realized it wasn't as simple as that and I got my diagnosis :smile:

Aside from that I knew a few people who thought you can't get pregnant first time you have sex, worst part was some were in college lol

Wow that's shocking, basically being told you need to get a bit drunk in order to have sex! So glad your sister was there to help you out.

Ah yeah I've heard that one before! As if your first time means there's some kind of pregnancy immunity barrier :laugh:
I cringe every time someone recommends the pull out method over contraception!
Original post by chelseadagg3r
I cringe every time someone recommends the pull out method over contraception!

Me too! I double-cringe when they justify it with "yeah but the chance of pregnancy is really small". Still too much of a chance to be alright with!
“Don’t worry, first and second time is crap, 3rd time feels amazing”.

Honestly I was expecting fireworks, then I realise everyone has different bodies and you go at your own pace
Been told that I would get really hot, sweating and feeling the high heat during sex, so be prepared to get rid of that, have a shower nearby just in case (like at all times). Such dumb advice. I don't think the person telling me that, didn't realise what he meant or how he came across. He said it was his first time and that's what he experienced. Maybe he was scared to be caught or messing up during his first time, since the cold sweats. He really spoke too soon. Kept the shower handy to quickly clean himself just in case he messed up badly since it was his first time and he tells me to watch out. I'm not joking! Someone told me that.

Replaced and mend with advice with being told to keep a duvet to soak the sweat during sex in bed if it's ever the case. Sweating, heavy sweating rarely happens during sex, thankfully. Not unless someone is really scared, hence the out of control sweating, which isn't good. Sex is meant to be fun. Really. Sweating?! Maybe but how he said it, he described it like he was scared and not comfortable with it.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by rcmotorboy
Been told that I would get really hot, sweating and feeling the high heat during sex, so be prepared to get rid of that, have a shower nearby just in case (like at all times). Such dumb advice. I don't think the person telling me that, didn't realise what he meant or how he came across. He said it was his first time and that's what he experienced. Maybe he was scared to be caught or messing up during his first time, since the cold sweats. He really spoke too soon. Kept the shower handy to quickly clean himself just in case he messed up badly since it was his first time and he tells me to watch out. I'm not joking! Someone told me that.

Replaced and mend with advice with being told to keep a duvet to soak the sweat during sex in bed if it's ever the case. Sweating, heavy sweating rarely happens during sex, thankfully. Not unless someone is really scared, hence the out of control sweating, which isn't good. Sex is meant to be fun. Really. Sweating?! Maybe but how he said it, he described it like he was scared and not comfortable with it.

Actually, I get hot and sweaty during sex (and not because of anxiety or whatever). Not quite sure what kind of sex you are having, but when we do it, it's pretty vigourous. So yeah, a shower is preferable.
Original post by Anonymous
Actually, I get hot and sweaty during sex (and not because of anxiety or whatever). Not quite sure what kind of sex you are having, but when we do it, it's pretty vigourous. So yeah, a shower is preferable.

It wasn't my sex. I would notice I sweat but because I'm so focused on my partner and aroused and having sex, which feels good. I don't think about the grabbing the towel or running to the shower like I'm in pain and sweating. Really, wasn't me.

... the way this bloke described it like he was concerned and scared, wrong way to describe it. Just never thought about how easy it is to rush to the showers whenever I want. I would casually go, I mean, after a clean up if I have too.

Quick Reply

Latest