The Student Room Group

Computer Science

Hi,

For A-Level the options I could pick were Computer Science, English Lit and Biology (also EPQ). Can I get into uni for Computer Science? If so Which ones - assuming I get the top grades in all 3.

Thanks
Most top universities require A level Maths for Computer Science. There are good universities who will accept you without it but it will severly restrict your options. If you decide not to take A level Maths you will need grade 6 or B in gcse Maths.
Original post by RodrigoDF
Hi,

For A-Level the options I could pick were Computer Science, English Lit and Biology (also EPQ). Can I get into uni for Computer Science? If so Which ones - assuming I get the top grades in all 3.

Thanks

A-level Mathematics is usually a requirement for studying computer science at University, especially in the best universities. It's unlikely to be accepted for studying a Computer science degree if you haven't done a Maths a-level, unless, perhaps, you done really well in your A-level computer science.
They will check your GCSE Mathematics and the requirement would be a 7.
Reply 3
Sadly I got a 6 in maths and am not able to take it for A Level. I'm currently trying to change Biology for Physics but I'm just scared that this will just completely ruin my chances. I'm really nervous right now and I have no idea on what to do.

Edit: If I managed to change to Physics would It help my situation at all?
There are some unis that dont require Maths for CS, but most do. Idk if doing Physics instead of Bio will help, and Physics itself will be hard without Maths
Sadly I got a 6 in maths and am not able to take it for A Level. I'm currently trying to change Biology for Physics but I'm just scared that this will just completely ruin my chances. I'm really nervous right now and I have no idea on what to do.

Edit: If I managed to change to Physics would It help my situation at all?

You will be limiting your choices by not taking mathematics at A-level. It is a specific requirement at some universities

Switching to physics will not help for some universities e.g. Edinburgh.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by HasanQ585
There are some unis that dont require Maths for CS, but most do. Idk if doing Physics instead of Bio will help, and Physics itself will be hard without Maths

Lancaster and Nottingham are amongst a group of universities that accept students without A level Maths but with grade b or higher maths at gcse. Check out the entry requirements at Lancaster, Nottingham, Newcastle, Liverpool, East Anglia, Cardiff, . Reading, Royal Holloway, Kent, Sussex and Swansea. Most of these will accept you but the other top ones wont.
Hi,

Thanks

Hi there!
The University of Kent offer a great computer science course which you don't need A-Level maths for :smile: The only maths requirement is a C (4) at GCSE.
Kent still ranks relatively high in league tables for Computer Science, but I'd encourage you to check out the modules at Kent and see if they suit your interests as that's what's most important :smile:
Here is the link to the computer science course information page in case you're interested: https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/124/computer-science

Good luck with your university search :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending