The Student Room Group

Funding when changing degree - help from SFE needed

Hi, I need some advice from SFE regarding student finance.

I started studying at university in the 2017-2018 academic year. Due to compelling personal reasons, I had to stop attending and so am planning on "getting back/claiming back" this student finance year, if possible. Since then, I have switched courses.

In 2018-2019, I completed my first year of my current course (a 3-year BA Hons course).
In 2019-2020, I am currently studying in my second year of my current course on an Erasmus exchange year (no tuition fees).

However, I have always been interested in studying Medicine (6 years). I have the grades but I'm not sure whether Student Finance would be willing to fund me as I have "used up" three years of funding (will technically be two years if I appeal my 2017-2018 funding).

Student Finance England, what would you advise me to do? Is it possible to get funding to study six years of Medicine? If not, is there any other way I could study Medicine if I cannot get funding or a scholarship?
Original post by beccarubikcube
Hi, I need some advice from SFE regarding student finance.

I started studying at university in the 2017-2018 academic year. Due to compelling personal reasons, I had to stop attending and so am planning on "getting back/claiming back" this student finance year, if possible. Since then, I have switched courses.

In 2018-2019, I completed my first year of my current course (a 3-year BA Hons course).
In 2019-2020, I am currently studying in my second year of my current course on an Erasmus exchange year (no tuition fees).

However, I have always been interested in studying Medicine (6 years). I have the grades but I'm not sure whether Student Finance would be willing to fund me as I have "used up" three years of funding (will technically be two years if I appeal my 2017-2018 funding).

Student Finance England, what would you advise me to do? Is it possible to get funding to study six years of Medicine? If not, is there any other way I could study Medicine if I cannot get funding or a scholarship?

Hi there,

Will your Medicine course be Undergraduate entry or Graduate entry?

Thanks, Amy
Hi Amy,It's undergraduate.I'm not sure whether financially it makes more sense to drop my current course after this Erasmus exchange year and therefore have not completed an undergraduate programme, or to complete my current course and then apply for funding.
Original post by beccarubikcube
Hi Amy,It's undergraduate.I'm not sure whether financially it makes more sense to drop my current course after this Erasmus exchange year and therefore have not completed an undergraduate programme, or to complete my current course and then apply for funding.

Hi,

Undergraduate Medicine courses are subject to previous study and ELQ rules. If you hold a qualification and are looking to do an undergraduate Medicine course you would only be eligible to receive the Maintenance Loan for the first 4 years of your course. As tuition fee support is not available, unless you are studying a Graduate Entry Medical Course.

Thanks, Amy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending