The Student Room Group

Retaking A-levels and applying to uni

Thought i'd set up a discussion page for those retaking A-levels and applying to uni. I was wondering where people have applied to, for what, predicted/achieved grades and what responses you've had and this years application process compared to last year. I have applied for biology this year at Edinburgh (even though apparently they are really against retakes), St Andrews, Bristol, Bath and Exeter, with the predicted grades of AA in biology and chemistry and an achieved grade of A in geography which i'm not retaking. I also submitted an extenuating circumstances form due to circumstances during my A-levels. I've got places at Exeter and Bristol but haven't heard back from any other unis. It's taking a lot longer this year compared to last to hear back from unis and i'm really hoping that's not because i've been rejected from the other three!

Course:
Uni choices and responses:
Predicted/achieved grades:
Did you submit an extenuating circumstances form?:
(edited 4 years ago)
I'm doing Psychology, only just sent off my ucas so not heard back from any yet, but have applied to bath Nottingham Loughborough York and Lancaster

My grades were EPQ A, AS bio B, history A, maths C and english B (I'm retaking maths and English, predicted grades AB)

I'm pretty nervous about getting rejected since my predicted grades are only one above last year, my school is super stingy. No extenuating circumstances form, I have had mental health and health issues but not really any proof

Congrats on your offers ^^ and good luck!
Original post by Issakatie
I'm doing Psychology, only just sent off my ucas so not heard back from any yet, but have applied to bath Nottingham Loughborough York and Lancaster

My grades were EPQ A, AS bio B, history A, maths C and english B (I'm retaking maths and English, predicted grades AB)

I'm pretty nervous about getting rejected since my predicted grades are only one above last year, my school is super stingy. No extenuating circumstances form, I have had mental health and health issues but not really any proof

OH my gosh. I got a D in English and I'm resitting it would love some #support.
Original post by cheerIeader
OH my gosh. I got a D in English and I'm resitting it would love some #support.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! What texts are you doing?
I'm glad I'm not the only one! What texts are you doing?

Gatsby, Othello, Love through the ages poetry. (paper 1)
Regeneration, My Boy Jack and Wilfred Owen war poetry (paper 2).

I got grades ABD so resitting the D grade in English. Feel like it's so difficult to revise it though and don't feel I'm getting far so would love some advice. :frown: In the exams I got a U paper 1 (shocking), B paper 2 and B in the coursework.
Gatsby, Othello, Love through the ages poetry. (paper 1)
Regeneration, My Boy Jack and Wilfred Owen war poetry (paper 2).

I got grades ABD so resitting the D grade in English. Feel like it's so difficult to revise it though and don't feel I'm getting far so would love some advice. :frown: In the exams I got a U paper 1 (shocking), B paper 2 and B in the coursework.

I did ok, a* cw, A paper 2 and C paper 1 (I didn't do a 15 mark q)
Which exam board do you do? Also do you do a mixed english a level? (I do lit I probably should've specified sorry! I may not be able to help if so)
I did ok, a* cw, A paper 2 and C paper 1 (I didn't do a 15 mark q)
Which exam board do you do? Also do you do a mixed english a level? (I do lit I probably should've specified sorry! I may not be able to help if so)

I do Literature too and for AQA, three 30 mark questions per paper. And wow that's so good, well done. I feel like one big fat failure. :'(
I do Literature too and for AQA, three 30 mark questions per paper. And wow that's so good, well done. I feel like one big fat failure. :'(

I'm sure you will improve a lot! And you did well in the cw and paper 2, are you able to modify the cw at all? I'm doing OCR, and we have no poetry in the exam, what sort of questions do you get / how are you meant to answer them? Is it exam technique you struggled with or the texts?
Reply 8
I'm sure you will improve a lot! And you did well in the cw and paper 2, are you able to modify the cw at all? I'm doing OCR, and we have no poetry in the exam, what sort of questions do you get / how are you meant to answer them? Is it exam technique you struggled with or the texts?

I'm doing ocr eng lit too. texts that I'm doing are Dracula, twelfth night, Rossetti and Ibsen. Do you have any exam techniques or a checklist you could share/send me?
Original post by aminamirza
I'm doing ocr eng lit too. texts that I'm doing are Dracula, twelfth night, Rossetti and Ibsen. Do you have any exam techniques or a checklist you could share/send me?

Ah I am also doing Ibsen, what sort of checklist would you like? I have largely focused on content so far this year, but I obviously have notes from last year on this sort of thing etc so will build upon that

you will almost 100% get at least 1 offer, even though i suspect you will get at least 1 rejection
Ah I am also doing Ibsen, what sort of checklist would you like? I have largely focused on content so far this year, but I obviously have notes from last year on this sort of thing etc so will build upon that

i guess how to approach the questions because i do not have a clue! i don’t even have much notes at all, anything would help ):
Original post by aminamirza
i guess how to approach the questions because i do not have a clue! i don’t even have much notes at all, anything would help ):

I'll have a look at all my notes and compile something tmo - tues and send to you :smile:
Do you just want how to approach and structure the questions in paper 1 and paper 2?

Lovely unis! I really hope this years exams go better for you but still good grades from last year. I hope it all goes well for you and update on offers and things!
I'll have a look at all my notes and compile something tmo - tues and send to you :smile:
Do you just want how to approach and structure the questions in paper 1 and paper 2?

omg you’re an actual angel! anything really! i don’t have any resources literally so whatever you can provide would be great !

DEFINITELY exam technique that let me down and in some ways the text. In paper 1 we had questions on minor characters so it threw me off then unseen poetry I was just super clunky when comparing/contrasting and laying out a good essay. I think I definitely do badly with like introductions/conclusions and just structuring the essay in general. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending