The Student Room Group

Do attractive people have a hard time dating too?

I’m told I’m attractive but have not been able to find a date in forever. I get noticed by the guys I would not want and the ones I do want don’t like me back.

Scroll to see replies

I feel the same, I really don’t want to sound up my arse but I’ve been getting compliments from most men. Trouble is I also don’t feel anything between me and them. Either I’m cursed or too picky.
Assuming you're female.

There's multiple research papers that have been done, stating that the top 80% of females go for the top 20% of males, based purely on first impressions/physical attractiveness.

Perhaps lower your physical standards, or be prepared to wait a long time.
If you are attractive it shouldn't be a problem you are just after the wrong guys. Being attractive isn't the only factor when it comes dating. We guys have all different types in women. A girl can be really attractive but if I have nothing a like with her and she has different personality I'm not going to try and date her solely based on her looks. At university this really attractive girl told my friends that she liked me, but we had absolutely nothing in common so I wasn't interested in dating her.
Original post by Anonymous
Assuming you're female.

There's multiple research papers that have been done, stating that the top 80% of females go for the top 20% of males, based purely on first impressions/physical attractiveness.

And by this I mean on a scale of 1-10 in attractiveness, women who are considered a 3 or above are going for men who are between an 8 or a 10, ignoring the rest.

It's probably also part of the reason why women receive a tsunami of compliments because men have to cast so many lines to catch a fish, whereas women can pick which bait they'd prefer to bite.
Assuming you're female.

Doesn't that research ONLY apply to the cattle-market of online dating?

Dating in the real world via one's social life is an entirely different kettle of fish altogether.

When it comes to physically attractive young women finding a man that's really worth dating, it's about as challenging for them as it is for the mediocre physically attractive women (give or take a bit).

Getting a boyfriend quickly isn't much use to anyone if he's not a very good boyfriend for that particular person. It's not just the basic quality of the man, but also the compatability as well as meeting him in the right place at the right time (when he's single and available).
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
Getting a boyfriend quickly isn't much use to anyone if he's not a very good boyfriend for that particular person. It's not just the basic quality of the man

This is it!
Doesn't that research ONLY apply to the cattle-market of online dating?

Dating in the real world via one's social life is an entirely different kettle of fish altogether.

When it comes to physically attractive young women finding a man that's really worth dating, it's about as challenging for them as it is for the mediocre physically attractive women (give or take a bit).

Getting a boyfriend quickly isn't much use to anyone if he's not a very good boyfriend for that particular person. It's not just the basic quality of the man, but also the compatability as well as meeting him in the right place at the right time (when he's single and available).

Well the mentality of finding a date online versus finding a date in let's say a club or bar isn't that different. However dating within your social circle would be a lot different I agree.

If you were to date outside of your social circle even if you are an attractive female, the top 20% of males have the pick of the litter. That being said just attractiveness alone wouldn't get you very far with a male who's considered an 8 or above, compared to if you were an attractive female and trying to date a male who's a 6 or a 7 or below.

I also agree that aiming to get into a relationship as quickly as possible is a pointless thing to do fueled by irrationality.
oh heck yeah
i mean look at me
im freaking gorgeous and i catch everyone!!
none of them are the right ones tho

jk.....no one wants my @$$ :lol:
Yes, I've been called attractive (That's subjective though) but dating isn't so easy. The dating scene is very appearance-based so If you aren't picky, it's easy for you but those who want more than just a pretty face are left with limited options. People usually assume attractive people have it very easy but that's not true for all of them
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by TheStarboy
Yes, I've been called attractive (That's subjective though) but dating isn't so easy. The dating scene is very appearance-based so If you aren't picky, it's easy for you but those like me who want more than just a pretty face are left with limited options. People usually assume attractive people have it very easy but that's not true for all of them

noooo dont play games you are attractive
being attractive can only take you so far. personality plays a important roll in dating. just take it these guys ain't for you. yours will come along, believe me I was the same I was also very shy when I came to men but at 15 I found the one who stuck around through my shy days and now we've been together for 5 years and better than ever. x
Original post by BlackkQueen12
noooo dont play games you are attractive

Thanks
YW

Original post by TheStarboy
Thanks
People that are mega-attractive in appearances can seem unapproachable. They can seem 'out of everyone's league', or even if not, they can seem like they're perhaps more effort than they're worth.

If you can lower your standards by just 10% in terms of what you look for physically in a partner (from a 10/10 to a 9/10), but increase your odds by double (100%), then you're far more likely to settle for someone only a bit less attractive. If you applied the same in the reciprocal direction... then you're less likely to get 'used' for your looks or money.
Original post by laura2758
being attractive can only take you so far. personality plays a important roll in dating. just take it these guys ain't for you. yours will come along, believe me I was the same I was also very shy when I came to men but at 15 I found the one who stuck around through my shy days and now we've been together for 5 years and better than ever. x

That’s so sweet, goals right there
Original post by CatchMe_If_UCan
That’s so sweet, goals right there

aww thanks. 😊
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by BlackkQueen12
oh heck yeah
i mean look at me
im freaking gorgeous and i catch everyone!!
none of them are the right ones tho

jk.....no one wants my @$$ :lol:

Based on what you've written on this forum, you'd make a great girlfriend for the sort of man that'd be a good boyfriend.

No one you've met recently in real life has wanted your @$$, but when you do the meet the right man (and there's quite a few of them about for you) you @$$ will be well and truly £***'d - in a nice way. :bunny:
Based on what you've written on this forum, you'd make a great girlfriend for the sort of man that'd be a good boyfriend.

No one you've met recently in real life has wanted your @$$, but when you do the meet the right man (and there's quite a few of them about for you) you @$$ will be well and truly £***'d - in a nice way. :bunny:

awe lol i like you
you're such a nice person
and thanks for all the reps
literally you're the main person i see when it comes to giving me reps and i appreciate it
thank you :heart:
I’m told I’m attractive but have not been able to find a date in forever. I get noticed by the guys I would not want and the ones I do want don’t like me back.

Original post by CatchMe_If_UCan
I feel the same, I really don’t want to sound up my arse but I’ve been getting compliments from most men. Trouble is I also don’t feel anything between me and them. Either I’m cursed or too picky.

As much as i think online dating today has brought out some of the worst aspects of psychology in women (it was good a decade ago when any free sites were not saturated) your best bet if you wish to discriminate is to look at online dating. OkCupid, Badoo and POF are all free and if you stick a bikini pick on your profile you will have a few hundred to choose from within a week. If you want the men to do the chasing and weed out the risk of men wanting you for sex then paid sites like Match, Zoosk and Eharmony all have millions of members and most people who pay for online dating probably want something more meaningful.

As to being picky that is unfortunately the result of Disney Syndrome. That is to say that women today are brought up to believe in Prince Charming (the desperate hordes of men online only validate this) whereas in the days of our parents/grand parents people dated and got to know each other even when chemistry was not always immediately apparent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending