The Student Room Group

Distance learning loans

Hello,I'm a Spanish national who has been living in the UK for 8 years and I've just applied to the University of London to study a BA in English through distance learning (it's my first degree), I live in London.Can I apply for any kind of student loan when the course is through distance learning (due to Covid disruption worries) (and choosing to sit my exams in London)? For example, could I apply for a student fee loan or anything else?I haven't applied yet for settle status but will in October, do I need to wait for that or not? My course starts November 1st. Thank you for your help!
Original post by sodapop88
Hello,I'm a Spanish national who has been living in the UK for 8 years and I've just applied to the University of London to study a BA in English through distance learning (it's my first degree), I live in London.Can I apply for any kind of student loan when the course is through distance learning (due to Covid disruption worries) (and choosing to sit my exams in London)? For example, could I apply for a student fee loan or anything else?I haven't applied yet for settle status but will in October, do I need to wait for that or not? My course starts November 1st. Thank you for your help!

Hi, you mention it's your first degree but have you ever studied at Higher Education level before? Could you also confirm your age and marital status?
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi, you mention it's your first degree but have you ever studied at Higher Education level before? Could you also confirm your age and marital status?
Thanks, Isaac

I’m 32, single, living in shared accomodation in London.

I have never studied any kind of degree or certificate in the UK. Back in 2009 I tried to study Law in Spain but only managed to sit 3 of the 4 mandatory in rhe first year and due to very serious family reason had to quit.

Thank you again for your help Isaac!
I’m 32, single, living in shared accomodation in London.

I have never studied any kind of degree or certificate in the UK. Back in 2009 I tried to study Law in Spain but only managed to sit 3 of the 4 mandatory in rhe first year and due to very serious family reason had to quit.

Thank you again for your help Isaac!

You will be eligible to apply for a Tuition Fee Loan.

To apply for a Maintenance Loan you will need to prove 5 years residency in the UK and you will need to have a disability that prevents you from studying at a physical university.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 4
You will be eligible to apply for a Tuition Fee Loan.

To apply for a Maintenance Loan you will need to prove 5 years residency in the UK and you will need to have a disability that prevents you from studying at a physical university.
Thanks, Isaac

I see. For the Tuition Fee Loan do I need to apply for the whole BA at once or just for this year’s course fee (first level of the course) now?

And should I apply through the English student link (I have been living in London for 7 and a half years or the EU students link?

Do I need to complete the settled status first or can I apply to this and any other loan before that (such as maintenance loan) before that?

Regarding the maintenance, is this loan application separated from the Student Fee one? In normal circumstamces I wouldnd’t apply for this, but due to Covid disruptions I had to be laid off my job and I haven’t found one just yet. The University I applied to recommended the distance learning route as a precaution, mainly because I had coronavirus and a couple of serious accidents and I’m still recovering for those. Would I be able to change to presential if I wish to? The official start is set for Nov 1st at the University of London (through Goldsmith’s academic direction)

Sorry for having so many questions, all of a sudden I find myself in a very different situation than the one I thought I would be in a few weeks ago. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer. Thank you!
I see. For the Tuition Fee Loan do I need to apply for the whole BA at once or just for this year’s course fee (first level of the course) now?

And should I apply through the English student link (I have been living in London for 7 and a half years or the EU students link?

Do I need to complete the settled status first or can I apply to this and any other loan before that (such as maintenance loan) before that?

Regarding the maintenance, is this loan application separated from the Student Fee one? In normal circumstamces I wouldnd’t apply for this, but due to Covid disruptions I had to be laid off my job and I haven’t found one just yet. The University I applied to recommended the distance learning route as a precaution, mainly because I had coronavirus and a couple of serious accidents and I’m still recovering for those. Would I be able to change to presential if I wish to? The official start is set for Nov 1st at the University of London (through Goldsmith’s academic direction)

Sorry for having so many questions, all of a sudden I find myself in a very different situation than the one I thought I would be in a few weeks ago. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer. Thank you!

Good morning, you need to apply every academic year.

If you apply through SFE you need to prove 5 years of residency, if you apply as an EU applicant you don't. As you will receive the same Tuition Fee Loan funding for both SFE and EU, it is easier for you to apply as an EU student but it's up to you.

The Maintenance Loan is not a separate application but you must have a disability as a distance learning student

The full list of evidence required:
-Medical evidence from your GP and/or Consultant confirming that the your condition prevents you from travelling to/from your university and physically attending your university.
-Evidence (this could be emails/correspondence between the yourself and different universities) detailing that you have had discussions with different universities about the facilities available or accessibility as well as why the universities cannot accommodate the your requirements/needs.
-Written confirmation from yourself on how your condition impacts your day-to-day life.

-Evidence from yourself showing how you support yourself financially i.e. benefits/employment.

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 6
Good morning, you need to apply every academic year.

If you apply through SFE you need to prove 5 years of residency, if you apply as an EU applicant you don't. As you will receive the same Tuition Fee Loan funding for both SFE and EU, it is easier for you to apply as an EU student but it's up to you.

The Maintenance Loan is not a separate application but you must have a disability as a distance learning student

The full list of evidence required:
-Medical evidence from your GP and/or Consultant confirming that the your condition prevents you from travelling to/from your university and physically attending your university.
-Evidence (this could be emails/correspondence between the yourself and different universities) detailing that you have had discussions with different universities about the facilities available or accessibility as well as why the universities cannot accommodate the your requirements/needs.
-Written confirmation from yourself on how your condition impacts your day-to-day life.

-Evidence from yourself showing how you support yourself financially i.e. benefits/employment.

Thanks, Isaac

Thank you so much for your help Isaac!
Thank you so much for your help Isaac!

You're welcome :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending