The Student Room Group

Eligibility for Student Finance

Hi,

I have a question regarding eligibility for student finance. My personal circumstances are as follows:
1. I am an Indian national
2. I have been resident in the UK for the last 3 years.
3. I am looking to start university in 2018, by when I will have completed 4 years in the UK.
4. I moved to the UK as a dependent because of my father's employment.
5. My visa status is "PBS Dependent Leave to Remain".
6. I plan on applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain in 2019 when I would have lived here for 5 years.

Based on this information, can you advise if I'll be eligible for student finance?
Original post by aditya101099
Hi,

I have a question regarding eligibility for student finance. My personal circumstances are as follows:
3. I am looking to start university in 2018, by when I will have completed 4 years in the UK.
6. I plan on applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain in 2019 when I would have lived here for 5 years.

Based on this information, can you advise if I'll be eligible for student finance?

https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/Government-Student-Support#layer-6193 is the guidance about who is entitled to student support.

Not that eligibility is determined at the start of your course (usually on 1st September of that year) so if your eligibility is likely to change (through gaining Indefinite Leave to Remain) then it's important to wait before starting a course. So if you're likely to be eligible in 2019 then DO NOT start a degree in 2019.
Hi,

Hi aditya,

You should hold either Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) or Indefinite Leave to Enter (ILE) status and have been ordinarily resident in the UK for 3 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course and be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of the course

If you have Limited Leave to Remain (LLR) you are ineligible to receive support from Student Finance England unless LLR is granted on Humanitarian Protection grounds for example; Refugee Status.

You can be confident that once you are awarded the Indefinite Leave to Remain, you will be eligible for support from the first academic year following the change to your status.

That means if you receive your ILR prior to September 1, 2019, you can apply on the 2019/20 application for a September start.

If you obtain your ILR earlier in 2019, if you are awarded it, for example before the 1st of April 2019 and you are going to undertake a course with a 1st April and 30th June 2019 start date or the1st of July 2019 if your course starts between 1st July and 31st July 2019, then you would be eligible to apply on the 2018/19 application.

On your current status you will not be eligible to apply for a September 2018 start as you only have limited leave to remain.

Thanks Rona
hy, I'm experiencing the same problem could you please contact me on insta @julian_hester_
Original post by julian hester
hy, I'm experiencing the same problem could you please contact me on insta @julian_hester_

Hi there, what is your status in the UK?
Thanks, Isaac.
I hold an Indian passport with an dependent leave to remain. It would be great if someone can tell me if I’m eligible for student finance. *Status: dependent leave to remain. *Have stayed in the uk for 4 years.*A child of an indefinite leave to remain( settlement)*age 19 I am dependent leave to remain, depending on my father who has lived in the UK for 10 years and he can change his Indian passport to a british passport anytime.
I hold an Indian passport with an dependent leave to remain. It would be great if someone can tell me if I’m eligible for student finance. *Status: dependent leave to remain. *Have stayed in the uk for 4 years.*A child of an indefinite leave to remain( settlement)*age 19 I am dependent leave to remain, depending on my father who has lived in the UK for 10 years and he can change his Indian passport to a british passport anytime.

When does your course start?
Thanks, Isaac.
September 2020
September 2020

You could potentially apply for the EU Tuition Fee Loan as a child of an EU National. If you complete the EU20N form http://ow.ly/7u9n30qioFw send your original ID, the EU national parents ID, your birth certificate to show proof of relationship and then our assessors will review your eligibility.

You are not eligible for Student Finance England funding as your own status is only leave to remain and you have not been in the UK for half your life or 20 years.
Thanks, Isaac.
Reply 9
@SFE IsaacIf I have applied to be granted ILR and am now only awaiting the Gov. to answer which would be any moment in the foreseeable future - whilst applying for universities am I eligible as a home and to student finance ?
Have been living in uk have 3 british children but am having leave to remain under family life for 7 years now want to go to uni am I eligible for student finance?
Original post by BigBash
@SFE IsaacIf I have applied to be granted ILR and am now only awaiting the Gov. to answer which would be any moment in the foreseeable future - whilst applying for universities am I eligible as a home and to student finance ?

Sorry I never seen this, did you get this resolved?
Original post by Marissa2009
Have been living in uk have 3 british children but am having leave to remain under family life for 7 years now want to go to uni am I eligible for student finance?

In order to determine your eligibility, please confirm:

1. Which university and course you are looking to start your studies with?
2. How old you are.
3. Your nationality, current status and time spent within the UK.
4. Any previous study and qualifications you may hold.

Thanks, Isaac
Hey! I’m in the exact same boat. I will be applying for the deferred 2024 entry and will have completed 3 years before I start university. My father will get his ILR a month before I start with university. Would I be classed as international until my dad gets his ILR ?
Hi,

Hi Aditya,

You need to hold Indefinite Leave to Remain prior to the first day of the first academic year of your course to be eligible. Do you have a UK or EU family member living in the UK at all?

Thanks, Clare

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending