The Student Room Group

Can a feminine gay guy make any male friends?

Just wondering if it is possible. It feels like all of the guys hang out with other guys of a similar temperament. My uni feels very "straight" and doesn't really have any feminine gays - it's all quiet introverts or football fan "lads".

I don't have anything against girls but I don't want to be that GBF who always goes shopping or whatever else. I want a more diverse friend group than the way it has been for a while.

Is it possible for me to have any male friends?

Scroll to see replies

No
It's possible but you're more likely to stick with females since you would share more in common.
I feel like surely there are people who are like you and would love to be friends, but if your uni feels very 'straight', idk if those people exist in your uni. Definitely possible in the long run tho
Original post by JustOneMoreThing
It's possible but you're more likely to stick with females since you would share more in common.

I suppose that is partially true but not necessarily. I'm not a woman and I don't do much things like shopping. And I feel that a lot of women would typecast me in the GBF role which I don't particularly care for.
Ye but low chance. Straight feel uncomfortable w gay guys for numerous reason such as thinking they like us lol
For sure. There was a slightly feminine gay guy in our friendship group at uni and the rest of us were straight lads. Not an issue.
Original post by TheSagittarius
Just wondering if it is possible. It feels like all of the guys hang out with other guys of a similar temperament. My uni feels very "straight" and doesn't really have any feminine gays - it's all quiet introverts or football fan "lads".

I don't have anything against girls but I don't want to be that GBF who always goes shopping or whatever else. I want a more diverse friend group than the way it has been for a while.

Nope, have a gay friend and others in my circle, the only thing in the way is your own hesitation :smile: wouldnt worry too much about it
Reply 8

yes but it can be kinda hard to. a lot of straight guys like to assume you're just after their **** 🙄
Original post by Ciel.
yes but it can be kinda hard to. a lot of straight guys like to assume you're just after their **** 🙄

Ewwwwewww🤢🤮
Reply 10
Original post by Anonymous
Ewwwwewww🤢🤮

guess what, gay people are everywhere, you probably have at least one at your work/school/sports club/gym
Reply 11

You'd be more likely to make straight male friends if you weren't feminine...
Original post by ANM775

Thx for stating the obvious...
Reply 13
Original post by ANM775

you think it's that easy? lol. i don't even have to say a single word and people will instantly assume i'm gay. idk what it is.

Yes, as long as you don’t get too touchy
Reply 15
Original post by Mad_Dog_Graveson
Yes, as long as you don’t get too touchy

hilarious, just because you're a man doesn't mean every gay guy finds you attractive. do you have the same 'rules' for women?
Original post by Ciel.
hilarious, just because you're a man doesn't mean every gay guy finds you attractive. do you have the same 'rules' for women?

Of course not, they’re free to be touchy
Reply 17
Original post by Ciel.
you think it's that easy? lol. i don't even have to say a single word and people will instantly assume i'm gay. idk what it is.

Probably something about the way you dress/your mannerisms ....or you might just "look" gay.

Believe it or not, there is a computer AI that can guess your sexuality from just looking at you with 91% accuracy. Humans are probably somewhat less accurate at guessing, ..but the fabled Gaydar is not a complete myth imo
Reply 18
Original post by ANM775
Probably something about the way you dress/your mannerisms ....or you might just "look" gay.

Believe it or not, there is a computer AI that can guess your sexuality from just looking at you with 91% accuracy. Humans are probably somewhat less accurate at guessing, ..but the fabled Gaydar is not a complete myth imo

maybe. gaydar is an actual thing, lol. but it's supposed to only work for gay people, not fair! 😂 but yeah it's not always totally accurate
Reply 19
Whew the subtle homophobia in this chat !!

Honestly the people on TSR are not a true representation of the wider population, let alone the people in your uni. As others have said, the only thing that's stopping you from making friends out there is your hesitation and your prejudice of them, you said that it seems like there's only introverts and straights....that's what you think, have you gone up to them and talked to them? Tried to get to know them?
I suggest going out of your way to speak to others, maybe start with those in your course? Or societies, if they're running ofc. Maybe even try people in your accommodation.

You will find people that will want to be your friend regardless of your sexual preference and your demeanour, it's quite sad that it's still such an issue even now, but you'll be fine :smile: If you do find that some people seem uncomfortable or rejecting of your presence please don't be disheartened, that's their issue not yours, you're not losing anything.

My brother has a large circle of straight and gay guys that actually met in uni that are still in contact now. They meet up often despite them getting married to their girlfriends and boyfriends that some of them also met in uni, and working around the globe over the past few years. They're all perfectly fine with each other, so there's your example that you will make friends :smile:

I think it's really all dependent on the level of maturity of the guys...:biggrin:
If they let your sexual preference get in the way of getting to know you and a good friendship, then they're just a waste of oxygen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending