The Student Room Group

Unsure on uni choices

I’m predicted A*AB in psychology, rs and biology and so far want to apply to:
Exeter-AAA
Bristol-AAB (contextual)
Cardiff-AAB-ABB (with a in epq)
Swansea-ABB-BBB (with b in epq)

I am thinking of either putting down Warwick (AAB) or a course with entry requirements of BBB or lower. The problem is I really like Warwick but cannot find any lower universities that I really like the sound of so feel it would be a wasted choice. Is it risky to have only Swansea as option for insurance? From what I’ve heard they’re fairly lenient on results day in case I don’t get a B in biology
Original post by Marthaalexanderr
I’m predicted A*AB in psychology, rs and biology and so far want to apply to:
Exeter-AAA
Bristol-AAB (contextual)
Cardiff-AAB-ABB (with a in epq)
Swansea-ABB-BBB (with b in epq)

I am thinking of either putting down Warwick (AAB) or a course with entry requirements of BBB or lower. The problem is I really like Warwick but cannot find any lower universities that I really like the sound of so feel it would be a wasted choice. Is it risky to have only Swansea as option for insurance? From what I’ve heard they’re fairly lenient on results day in case I don’t get a B in biology

I think these are entirely reasonable choices, (including Warwick as your fifth choice). You meet or exceed all of their requirements except Exeter who might give you an aspirational offer or accept A*AB come results day.

Courses asking for BBB are more likely to be available in Clearing anyway.

I wouldn't pick a safer option if there's not one you are immediately interested in. I think it's very unlikely you'll get no offers but even if you did, you could always look at UCAS Extra which happens before Clearing.
Original post by Admit-One
I think these are entirely reasonable choices, (including Warwick as your fifth choice). You meet or exceed all of their requirements except Exeter who might give you an aspirational offer or accept A*AB come results day.

Courses asking for BBB are more likely to be available in Clearing anyway.

I wouldn't pick a safer option if there's not one you are immediately interested in. I think it's very unlikely you'll get no offers but even if you did, you could always look at UCAS Extra which happens before Clearing.

thank you, I think I’ll go with Warwick as a 5th option then, I just wanted a few other opinions in case I was being too optimistic haha
Swansea do tend to be quite flexible with grades as does Cardiff. If you are looking at another university in that area have you considered Bath. If you are looking in Wales how about Aberystwyth and if you dont think it is too far Bangor which has quite a good reputation for Psychology.
Original post by swanseajack1
Swansea do tend to be quite flexible with grades as does Cardiff. If you are looking at another university in that area have you considered Bath. If you are looking in Wales how about Aberystwyth and if you dont think it is too far Bangor which has quite a good reputation for Psychology.

Thanks for the reply, I think bath would be too hard to get into and I really liked the look of Bangor but I’m not very keen on the course so I decided to rule it out
Original post by Marthaalexanderr
Thanks for the reply, I think bath would be too hard to get into and I really liked the look of Bangor but I’m not very keen on the course so I decided to rule it out

What about Aber as an insurance 96-120 points.
Hello @Marthaalexanderr,

I am currently a 3rd year Veterinary Biosciences student at Aberystwyth University and I am really enjoying my time here. Aberystwyth is a great place to be a student, there is a great feel to the town and there is always plenty to do and see. The University has a very friendly and welcoming feel and has even been named Welsh University of the Year for 2020 in The Sunday Times Good University Guide. Aberystwyth University has been ranked 2nd in the UK for Teaching Quality for the subject of Psychology according to The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019. The entry requirements for psychology here at Aberystwyth are BBB-CCC at a level.. You can find more information about the course here.

Looking at the modules offered at each university is a really good way of comparing the courses to see which may interest you more. This is something I did when comparing universities when I applied and definitely helped me make my decision. It may also be worth looking at how each course is assessed, to compare which style of assessment may suit the way you work best. Rankings are useful to look at, but it is also important to think about how the course is suited to your interests and what you are going to get out of it.

I would also recommend speaking to currents students about their experience at each university as well as current academic staff. This may help give you more of a feel of each university and help in your decision making. We have an interactive online open day coming up where you can have the opportunity to talk online to course lecturers, current students and admissions staff as well as take a panoramic tour of our campus and accommodation. You can register here if interested?

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any more questions 😊

Rebecca
Original post by swanseajack1
What about Aber as an insurance 96-120 points.

I really like Bangor and aber and would apply if they had modules that I liked as much as the other unis but unfortunately I wouldn’t be excited about studying there because of the course so I feel like it would be a wasted option. Thanks for the suggestion of Aberystwyth though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending