The Student Room Group

Roundabouts

In a scenario when you give way to the right at a roundabout and say a car has just past you and took its exit, while you were waiting at the giveway line. What should you do if a car is also waiting at the giveway line to your right. Can you still go as he or she has not enterd the roundabout yet? or do you still give way to the right. I could imagine getting marked down for hesitating if there was still time to go, i dont know what to think? I imagine give way to the right, but not 100%.
Reply 1
You give way to the right. You go if you can safely enter the roundabout without slowing anyone down who would have right of way over you at a guess.
It would be easier if I could visual what your saying but thats basically the rule.
So just like joining a road from a sideroad cars on the road have right of way. You can only join that road if you do not cause anyone to slow down for you. In theory anyway. idk i hate driving even though I have a motorcycle, car and lorry licence.
Original post by adam271
You give way to the right. You go if you can safely enter the roundabout without slowing anyone down who would have right of way over you at a guess.
It would be easier if I could visual what your saying but thats basically the rule.
So just like joining a road from a sideroad cars on the road have right of way. You can only join that road if you do not cause anyone to slow down for you. In theory anyway. idk i hate driving even though I have a motorcycle, car and lorry licence.

It sounds like you undstood me, it seems like another grey area, i just watched a youtube video on driving where the driver was stationary and a car to his right was stationary at their give way line which made me think ive got time to go as im ahead but in the same breath i think you are supposed to give way to the right still. It was a smallish roundabout (not a mini), if it were a nicer bigger round about i would be confident the driver in the video could have pulled away no problem. Thanks for your reply, I too am not overly keen on driving hhence why ive never botherd before, it comforts me some what that i am not alone in feeling this way. Thanks again.
Maybe this scenario is the equivelant of a one way street with 2 junctions entering and im further ahead of the flow. Maybe? or maybe im worrying too much but ive been marked down for some dumb things that are grey areas before and its quite annoying.
Original post by lBackSeatDriverl
In a scenario when you give way to the right at a roundabout and say a car has just past you and took its exit, while you were waiting at the giveway line. What should you do if a car is also waiting at the giveway line to your right. Can you still go as he or she has not enterd the roundabout yet? or do you still give way to the right. I could imagine getting marked down for hesitating if there was still time to go, i dont know what to think? I imagine give way to the right, but not 100%.

I'm guessing you mean if there are 2 lanes approaching the roundabout and you are in the left. In that case you always follow the rule to give way to anything coming from your right. If it is clear to move forward, then it doesn't matter what the person in the right lane does. They could stall for instance, doesn't mean you're not gonna move forward just cos they stalled.
Original post by Makijuice
I'm guessing you mean if there are 2 lanes approaching the roundabout and you are in the left. In that case you always follow the rule to give way to anything coming from your right. If it is clear to move forward, then it doesn't matter what the person in the right lane does. They could stall for instance, doesn't mean you're not gonna move forward just cos they stalled.

No i mean in the video it was a small round about with 3 roads joining it. I could not see the left junction only the junction to the right in the video, the driver was waiting stationary and the car waiting at the other road to the right (different entrance) was also waiting stationary. Do you give way to the right? but that driver wasnt on the road to give way to, so maybe you just leave as your further down the road. Wont the DVLA answer questions?
Reply 6
This is one of things best being taught by a driver instructor.
For me, If I think I can join a roundabout without slowing anyone down I will do it regardless of right of way. If I even see that a driver is hestating to pull away even though he has right of way I will go.
I haven't crashed yet and I probably have driven more in the last year then the majority of people on this forum.

For your test though, if someone has right of way just wait. It is no grey area. The only thing you need to think of is if I join the roundabout will I slow anyone down or cause an obstruction. If the answer is yes then you wait. The chances are though is that if you have a 3 way roundabout the people on the right will always join a roundabout before you. But again, not sure without visualizing it.
Original post by lBackSeatDriverl
No i mean in the video it was a small round about with 3 roads joining it. I could not see the left junction only the junction to the right in the video, the driver was waiting stationary and the car waiting at the other road to the right (different entrance) was also waiting stationary. Do you give way to the right? but that driver wasnt on the road to give way to, so maybe you just leave as your further down the road. Wont the DVLA answer questions?

Its situational. It's best you keep it simple. If theres something coming from the right then give way. If not, then go. One thing you have to bear in mind especially with a situation like 3 junctions on the roundabout is that if you're all standing stationary cos you're all giving way to the right, then none of u are moving. In that case the best thing to do is see who moves off, if no one does then just lead AMD you move off first
Reply 8
Original post by Makijuice
Its situational. It's best you keep it simple. If theres something coming from the right then give way. If not, then go. One thing you have to bear in mind especially with a situation like 3 junctions on the roundabout is that if you're all standing stationary cos you're all giving way to the right, then none of u are moving. In that case the best thing to do is see who moves off, if no one does then just lead AMD you move off first

This Is the best answer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending