The Student Room Group

Help with my Emotions

New girl reminds me of lot of my ex, I feel really uncomfortable when I see my friends hit on her (my stomach drops and I get nervous at the thought). I know I'm being irrational, but can someone give me some advice?
I would say get to know her, this would help you realise she is a complete different person to your ex :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by DepressedLife
I would say get to know her, this would help you realise she is a complete different person to your ex :smile:

Thanks for the advice, yeah I've also been advised to expose myself to this person by other friends, so I think that's what I'll do. They look similar and are from the same country so I think my brain just makes the connection.
Reply 3

lol by expose I mean interact :biggrin: not the other type of expose haha
I'm not sure if there's much you can do - you can't really help an instinctive response like that.
If getting to know her works, great - if not you may just have to avoid her depending on how uncomfortable this makes you.
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for the advice, yeah I've also been advised to expose myself to this person by other friends, so I think that's what I'll do. They look similar and are from the same country so I think my brain just makes the connection.

Hopefully it isn’t her stalking you ahaha
Reply 6
Hopefully it isn’t her stalking you ahaha

haha people from her country tend to look/act similar, she's Dutch. They're almost all blonde, 5 foot 6 - 5 foot 10, bubbly and speak English in an American accent
haha people from her country tend to look/act similar, she's Dutch. They're almost all blonde, 5 foot 6 - 5 foot 10, bubbly and speak English in an American accent

I don’t know any Dutch people lol but good luck :3
Reply 8
Original post by becausethenight
I'm not sure if there's much you can do - you can't really help an instinctive response like that.
If getting to know her works, great - if not you may just have to avoid her depending on how uncomfortable this makes you.

I'm going to try getting to know her but if that doesn't work then yeah, maybe I'll avoid them. It's crazy, from a logical perspective, I know it's silly. One of my friends does like her and he is trying to make a move. I defo won't be but just the thought of my mate getting with her feels pretty **** :frown:
Reply 9
h

I don’t know any Dutch people lol but good luck :3

hahaha thanks!! :smile:
I'm going to try getting to know her but if that doesn't work then yeah, maybe I'll avoid them. It's crazy, from a logical perspective, I know it's silly. One of my friends does like her and he is trying to make a move. I defo won't be but just the thought of my mate getting with her feels pretty **** :frown:

Sometimes all you can really do is go "for personal reasons, it's not a good idea for me to do this" and move on, yeah. Illogical or not, it is what is is - we're not very rational creatures!

It sounds like you maybe do have quite a lot of baggage with this ex, though - have you talked to anyone about it?
Original post by becausethenight
Sometimes all you can really do is go "for personal reasons, it's not a good idea for me to do this" and move on, yeah. Illogical or not, it is what is is - we're not very rational creatures!

It sounds like you maybe do have quite a lot of baggage with this ex, though - have you talked to anyone about it?

100% do not planto hit on this person because it would be really unhealthy. At the moment, she is just in the friendship circle, but I can see her and my friend dating in the future.

Regarding my ex, yeah I got hurt pretty bad, I have briefly, but not in too much detail..
100% do not planto hit on this person because it would be really unhealthy. At the moment, she is just in the friendship circle, but I can see her and my friend dating in the future.

Regarding my ex, yeah I got hurt pretty bad, I have briefly, but not in too much detail..

That sounds tricky then as if you do end up having to avoid them you'd be losing a good friend...

Would it be worth maybe exploring counselling or something around that, or an in depth chat with a friend?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending