The Student Room Group

Previous study rules & exception courses

Please can you clarify the previous study rules in relation to a HNC qualification and direct me to it’s relevant policy legislation and the most recent list of exception courses? I would also like to know the appeals process for student finance England. I was self funded when I studied HNC part time over 2 years but I am only eligible for 2 years of funding (for a 3yr full time degree) even though I have not had funding before- is this correct please?
Many thanks
Original post by HelenN83
Please can you clarify the previous study rules in relation to a HNC qualification and direct me to it’s relevant policy legislation and the most recent list of exception courses? I would also like to know the appeals process for student finance England. I was self funded when I studied HNC part time over 2 years but I am only eligible for 2 years of funding (for a 3yr full time degree) even though I have not had funding before- is this correct please?
Many thanks

Hi Helen,

Full time undergraduate students can receive funding for the length of the course + 1 additional year - any previous study
Part time undergraduate students can receive funding for up to 16 years.

Did you receive the HNC qualification when you studied part time for 2 years?

Previous part time study only affects eligibility for funding for a full time course if you received a qualification. So if you did receive the qualification then you will have 2 years of previous study.

If your new full time course is 3 years long and you have 2 years of previous study ,the calculation will be 3+1-2= 2 years of funding. You will be required to self fund the first year.

An appeal is only if you think an assessor has made the wrong decision, not if you disagree with regulations so an appeal wouldn't be accepted or go anywhere however you can find out more information here https://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/nysf/sfe_appeals_leaflet_d.pdf

There are exception courses that you can study and previous study does not affect eligibility.

Full Time
Below is a list of the Full Time courses exempt from Equivalent Level Qualification (ELQ) and Previous Study rules:
- Graduate Entry Medical Chiropody
- Dietetics
- Dietetics and Nutrition (Please note that these courses specifically have both dietetics and nutrition in the title. The individual course ‘nutrition’ is not a valid Allied Health Professional course)
- Occupational Therapy
- Operating Department Practice (Diplomas and Degrees)
- Orthoptics
- Physiotherapy
- Podiatry
- Prosthetics and Orthotics
- Radiography (diagnostic and therapeutic)
- Radiotherapy
- Speech and Language Therapy/ Dental courses

Part Time
If you already hold an Honours degree or a higher level (HE) qualification, you are able to apply for a Part Time Fee Loan for any one of the exception course below. For students who start a new course from 18/19 onwards, this will mean they can apply for the Part Time Maintenance Loan as well as tuition fees.
- Medicine and Dentistry
- Subjects to Allied Medicine
- Biological and Sport Science
- Psychology
- Veterinary Sciences
- Agriculture, Food and Related Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- General and Others in Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Engineering and Technology
- Computing
- Geographical and Environmental Studies

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi Helen,

Full time undergraduate students can receive funding for the length of the course + 1 additional year - any previous study
Part time undergraduate students can receive funding for up to 16 years.

Did you receive the HNC qualification when you studied part time for 2 years?

Previous part time study only affects eligibility for funding for a full time course if you received a qualification. So if you did receive the qualification then you will have 2 years of previous study.

If your new full time course is 3 years long and you have 2 years of previous study ,the calculation will be 3+1-2= 2 years of funding. You will be required to self fund the first year.

An appeal is only if you think an assessor has made the wrong decision, not if you disagree with regulations so an appeal wouldn't be accepted or go anywhere however you can find out more information here https://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/nysf/sfe_appeals_leaflet_d.pdf

There are exception courses that you can study and previous study does not affect eligibility.

Full Time
Below is a list of the Full Time courses exempt from Equivalent Level Qualification (ELQ) and Previous Study rules:
- Graduate Entry Medical Chiropody
- Dietetics
- Dietetics and Nutrition (Please note that these courses specifically have both dietetics and nutrition in the title. The individual course ‘nutrition’ is not a valid Allied Health Professional course)
- Occupational Therapy
- Operating Department Practice (Diplomas and Degrees)
- Orthoptics
- Physiotherapy
- Podiatry
- Prosthetics and Orthotics
- Radiography (diagnostic and therapeutic)
- Radiotherapy
- Speech and Language Therapy/ Dental courses

Part Time
If you already hold an Honours degree or a higher level (HE) qualification, you are able to apply for a Part Time Fee Loan for any one of the exception course below. For students who start a new course from 18/19 onwards, this will mean they can apply for the Part Time Maintenance Loan as well as tuition fees.
- Medicine and Dentistry
- Subjects to Allied Medicine
- Biological and Sport Science
- Psychology
- Veterinary Sciences
- Agriculture, Food and Related Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- General and Others in Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Engineering and Technology
- Computing
- Geographical and Environmental Studies

Thanks, Isaac

Thanks for the clarification and links. I disagree with the calculation method I assume this will be an acceptable reason for appeal?
Thanks for the clarification and links. I disagree with the calculation method I assume this will be an acceptable reason for appeal?

That is the regulation so an appeal wouldn't be accepted as it's not a mistake.

You do have the right to appeal if you choose to do so.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 4
That is the regulation so an appeal wouldn't be accepted as it's not a mistake.

You do have the right to appeal if you choose to do so.
Thanks, Isaac

Can I double check the calculation is correct for my scenario please? I studied and achieved a HNC part time over 2 years but the calculation to study full time is deducting 2 years part time? As it is a full time course over 3 years should the previous study discounted in the calculation be 1 year (as the equivalent of study mode was full time)? this would feel more fair
Can I double check the calculation is correct for my scenario please? I studied and achieved a HNC part time over 2 years but the calculation to study full time is deducting 2 years part time? As it is a full time course over 3 years should the previous study discounted in the calculation be 1 year (as the equivalent of study mode was full time)? this would feel more fair

You mention you studied your HNC part time, so was it a part time course or a full time course? Please clarify?
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 6
You mention you studied your HNC part time, so was it a part time course or a full time course? Please clarify?
Thanks, Isaac

Yes a long time ago now, it was part time self funded completed in 2 years. I believe a more fair and comparable calculation would be: new full time course duration of 3yrs + 1 then - previous course duration if studied full time (which in my case was 2yrs part time converted to 1yr if studied full time).
Yes a long time ago now, it was part time self funded completed in 2 years. I believe a more fair and comparable calculation would be: new full time course duration of 3yrs + 1 then - previous course duration if studied full time (which in my case was 2yrs part time converted to 1yr if studied full time).

Please apply and our assessors will apply the correct calculation, once assessed - if you think they have made a mistake then you can choose to appeal it.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 8
Please apply and our assessors will apply the correct calculation, once assessed - if you think they have made a mistake then you can choose to appeal it.
Thanks, Isaac

Hello SFE, I have completed the appeals form and received a reply saying that I have not actually appealed the decision? I’m confused why my appeal form is not good enough to explain why I should be awarded fee loan- it is the whole purpose of your form to dispute the entitlement decision and you have still not provided a decision whether I can borrow fees despite my appeal. Please can you explain why my appeal has been rejected and closed? and also advise how I can make a subject access request for my file please?
Hello SFE, I have completed the appeals form and received a reply saying that I have not actually appealed the decision? I’m confused why my appeal form is not good enough to explain why I should be awarded fee loan- it is the whole purpose of your form to dispute the entitlement decision and you have still not provided a decision whether I can borrow fees despite my appeal. Please can you explain why my appeal has been rejected and closed? and also advise how I can make a subject access request for my file please?

Compelling Personal Reasons isn't an appeal.

You can only appeal if you think the assessors have made the wrong decision and can provide proof.

If the assessors said you didn't have enough funding then you can send Compelling Personal Reasons http://ow.ly/MsMM30pjjOm and you can upload the evidence online.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 10
Compelling Personal Reasons isn't an appeal.

You can only appeal if you think the assessors have made the wrong decision and can provide proof.

If the assessors said you didn't have enough funding then you can send Compelling Personal Reasons http://ow.ly/MsMM30pjjOm and you can upload the evidence online.
Thanks, Isaac

I don’t think the reasons I provided were ‘compelling personal reasons’. I think my reasons demonstrated that the methods for assessing and awarding funding are not promoting equal opportunities for all.
I don’t think the reasons I provided were ‘compelling personal reasons’. I think my reasons demonstrated that the methods for assessing and awarding funding are not promoting equal opportunities for all.

If you message us on Twitter/Facebook we can review your account. Alternatively you can call 0300 100 0607.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending