The Student Room Group

Bad Predicted Grades- Is it even worth applying to uni ?

Hey guys,
This is my first post on tsr and I wish that it would have been for a better reason...Anyways, I wish to go to uni to study aerospace engineering. However, I flopped my end of year exams for Maths and Physics and as a result have really trash predicted grades :
Maths-C
Physics-C
Politics-A
My teachers are not willing to increase my predicted grade for either subjects so what do I do now ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by a350fan
Hey guys,
This is my first post on tsr and I wish that it would have been for a better reason...Anyways, I wish to go to uni to study aerospace engineering. However, I flopped my end of year exams for Maths and Physics and as a result have really trash predicted grades :
Maths-C
Physics-C
Politics-A
My teachers are not willing to increase my predicted grade for either subjects so what do I do now ?

It depends what predicted grades do you need for uni?
You could always apply on results day?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ExamSeason12
It depends what predicted grades do you need for uni?

Well, I forgot to mention that I also did an EPQ related to aviation. However, I would like to join a Russell Group uni like Queen Mary's but with these predicted grades I wouldn't even be considered. Idk what else I could do.
Original post by a350fan
Well, I forgot to mention that I also did an EPQ related to aviation. However, I would like to join a Russell Group uni like Queen Mary's but with these predicted grades I wouldn't even be considered. Idk what else I could do.

Well EPQ is helpful - Is your course using on clearing ?
To be honest it depends how competitive your course is and your personal statement/teacher reference
If their are other uni's you want to apply to with lower grades then go for that and if you get better grades then you can go through clearing or adjustment and go to your favourite uni - Well some uni's are not on clearing e.g LSE cambridge, oxford but many others are e.g. queen mary
Original post by a350fan

Hey, what is your preferred university and the grades they ask for? I’m sure you can use COVID or some other reason to explain extenuating circumstances to your preferred university or teachers?

You could try to get in via Clearing. If that doesn’t work, you could transfer to your preferred university after your first year. But obviously I would speak to your preferred university and ask if they allow this - I know Cambridge & Imperial don’t accept this, but other Russel groups might.

Also, don’t be too hard on yourself. I did horrendous at A-levels for reasons I won’t get into, ended up at a subpar university…. Transferred out (at a still mediocre university) but now I’m finally at a university that I love :smile:
Original post by a350fan

You have ages before you have to submit an application. Talk to your teachers and get additional work. They will adjust them if you can show you are consistently working at higher grades.
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79
You have ages before you have to submit an application. Talk to your teachers and get additional work. They will adjust them if you can show you are consistently working at higher grades.

Thanks for your advice, I will definitely put in extra work for both subjects during the Summer. I will also get tutoring and see how it will go. I hope that teachers will be understanding when I show them the extra effort put in.
Reply 8
Original post by ExamSeason12
To be honest it depends how competitive your course is and your personal statement/teacher reference
If their are other uni's you want to apply to with lower grades then go for that and if you get better grades then you can go through clearing or adjustment and go to your favourite uni - Well some uni's are not on clearing e.g LSE cambridge, oxford but many others are e.g. queen mary

There are a couple of unis that I can apply for through Tariff points but there aren't either near London or Russell group, but I will try to apply for one like Queen Mary. I am currently working on my personal statement and my reference should be good as well. Thanks for your advice!
Original post by a350fan
Thanks for your advice, I will definitely put in extra work for both subjects during the Summer. I will also get tutoring and see how it will go. I hope that teachers will be understanding when I show them the extra effort put in.

It's still very early - we won't be confirming predictions yet
Reply 10
Original post by CovidMadeMeDoIt
Hey, what is your preferred university and the grades they ask for? I’m sure you can use COVID or some other reason to explain extenuating circumstances to your preferred university or teachers?

You could try to get in via Clearing. If that doesn’t work, you could transfer to your preferred university after your first year. But obviously I would speak to your preferred university and ask if they allow this - I know Cambridge & Imperial don’t accept this, but other Russel groups might.

Also, don’t be too hard on yourself. I did horrendous at A-levels for reasons I won’t get into, ended up at a subpar university…. Transferred out (at a still mediocre university) but now I’m finally at a university that I love :smile:

Hey!
Since I want to join a Uni course with pilot studies, I've chosen the following:
-University of Surrey : BBB (without pilot studies but it's close)
-University of Sheffield : ABB with a B in EPQ
-University of Liverpool: ABB
My predicted grades for Maths is the main point of concern as my Head of Maths isn't willing to increase it at all whereas in Physics I may ask for a B.
Thanks for your last advice, I would rather go to uni and transfer than just take a gap year :smile:.
Original post by a350fan
Hey!
Since I want to join a Uni course with pilot studies, I've chosen the following:
-University of Surrey : BBB (without pilot studies but it's close)
-University of Sheffield : ABB with a B in EPQ
-University of Liverpool: ABB
My predicted grades for Maths is the main point of concern as my Head of Maths isn't willing to increase it at all whereas in Physics I may ask for a B.
Thanks for your last advice, I would rather go to uni and transfer than just take a gap year :smile:.

Transfers are very case-by-case and it is not a good idea to start a course that you don't want to finish. I know a gap year isn't your preference, but you could end up restarting year 1 and using up your gift year of your funding.

Going back to your original question, not all unis use predicted grades in their selection process, so yes, it is absolutely worth applying in any case.
Reply 12
Original post by a350fan

Well it doesn't sound like there's much fight in you so not sure there's any point in advising, but if you'll listen:

They are predicted grades! not your actual grades, so pull your socks up and start working hard. You can do it!.

Even if you don't improve, you can still get into university with those grades. Stop wallowing in self pity and start thinking and taking action:

What do I want to study?
Use tools like www.theuniguide.co.uk to find out which universities offer the course you want to study with the predicted grades you've got.
Do some research (TSR and uniguide will do fine) and ask which universities are likely to be more 'flexible' with entry requirements so you can be a bit aspirational.

Just stop feeling sorry for yourself. You have a decent set of grades there, not stellar but not awful either.

Good luck!
Reply 13
You are absolutely right, I will try to draft the best personal statement that I can and hope for a conditional offer. I would much rather go to any uni than retaking year 1 and besides, I also have the possibility of applying to a degree apprenticeship if it all goes wrong (hope it won't though :smile: ).
Original post by a350fan
You are absolutely right, I will try to draft the best personal statement that I can and hope for a conditional offer. I would much rather go to any uni than retaking year 1 and besides, I also have the possibility of applying to a degree apprenticeship if it all goes wrong (hope it won't though :smile: ).

Are you using this website: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php?year=A%20Level%202017&term=Main

It's the one I recommend to my students :smile:
Reply 15
I do greatly appreciate your message and you are right. Even if I'm at my lowest right now (I've never had grades this low before), I will use this as my inspiration to get back up and achieve my best. I know that I can do better and I will, even if I don't get any offers for now. Your message has boosted me up and I will move on with it.
Apply anyway if they say no they say no then they say no you can do clearing or if you do really well you can enter adjustment it’s always worth applying because sometimes they accept people which lower grades or who miss their offer.
Original post by a350fan
Hey guys,
Maths-C
Physics-C
Politics-A

Hello @a350fan,

Do not worry! i would recommend looking into a foundation year if you haven't already :smile:

Antonia,

University of Liverpool - Student ambassador
Original post by University of Liverpool Student Rep
Hello @a350fan,

Do not worry! i would recommend looking into a foundation year if you haven't already :smile:

Antonia,

University of Liverpool - Student ambassador

I agree I had a mate do this it took 4 years and left with a Bsc (hons) it’s totally worth a look.
Reply 19
Thank you all for your replies to my thread! It really has boosted me up after seeing your replies to see that it's not over yet. I have managed to raise my politics grade to an A* but was clearly told that the prediction for Maths and Physics would be non-negotiable (as it was based on the end of year exams only). After seeing the comment of the Uni of Liverpool rep, I have made a shortlist of 5 unis that I potentially apply to:

1.Uni of Herts with Pilot Studies (Possible Firm offer) - 120 Tariff
2.Uni of Sheffield Foundations BEng BBB-BBC
3.Swansea Uni Foundation BEng- BCC-BBB
4.UWE BEng with Pilot Studies - C in Maths/112 Tariff
5.Uni of Surrey Foundations - MEng CCD

Please do let me know what you think!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending