The Student Room Group

Going to the same university as your partner?

Me and my girlfriend are going to the same university but I’m kind of septic because people are advising not to do that as it might from fully experiencing university life. We decided to stay on the same campus but different blocks. Personally I think we would be fine because we’ve been together for 4 years and we’ve both been loyal. Is it a good idea to stay in a relationship while we’ve just started university?
At the end of the day, the decision is yours and hers, and nobody else's. The problem is, you will both change as you get older. University changes everyone - and the real test is whether you're still compatible when it's changed both of you. Being together for 4 years is great, but it's easy to do that when you're just in school or sixth form.

I've always said never base your university choices on someone else, because it's so horrible then if you split up - but given you're in different blocks that shouldn't be a problem.

Just make sure you make friends and don't spend all of your time with each other. It's so hard when you're this age, and you think you're going to be with that person forever. You absolutely might be! But the vast majority of relationships when you're a teenager don't last .. and it'd be a shame to compromise on your university experience.
Reply 2
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
At the end of the day, the decision is yours and hers, and nobody else's. The problem is, you will both change as you get older. University changes everyone - and the real test is whether you're still compatible when it's changed both of you. Being together for 4 years is great, but it's easy to do that when you're just in school or sixth form.

I've always said never base your university choices on someone else, because it's so horrible then if you split up - but given you're in different blocks that shouldn't be a problem.

Just make sure you make friends and don't spend all of your time with each other. It's so hard when you're this age, and you think you're going to be with that person forever. You absolutely might be! But the vast majority of relationships when you're a teenager don't last .. and it'd be a shame to compromise on your university experience.

Yeah I totally agree with that, hope we change for the better.
My boyfriend went to the same uni as me and it was fine. If it's a good relationship and you love each other then that's not worth throwing away to just have the moral freedom to f*** a bunch of randomers for three years in my opinion. You can still experience your own lives and hobbies, join societies etc. Just make sure to pencil in time for your own friends and activities and it'll be fine, you don't have to be joined at the hip.

I lived in a seperate hall to my boyfriend too and it does have it's advantages, it is nice to have your own space to go back to and do your own thing or hang out with friends when you want, plus if one block gets really loud due to a house party or something you can just go crash in the quieter place, or if one has a really busy kitchen you have elsewhere to go cook etc.
I'm doing the same with my boyfriend (same uni different accommodation). To be honest I see nothing wrong with it. So what if you're with each other rather than at a rave sometimes? When people say these things I think they're thinking the "full experience" is getting it on with girls at clubs.

If you've been together 4 years I'm sure you can fairly easily work out a compromise where you both meet lots of new people but make time for each other. Not worth sacrificing that kind of connection for a bit of noncommittal 'fun'.
I agree with the first response, biggest mistake is choosing the same uni/course because of someone else in it (Cursh/lover etc) Unless if its actually your firm choice coming from you and you only.
Its good to be selfish in that regard that uni/course choices should be about yourself first and no one else.

Ive seen couples enter studies only to break up shortly after due to allegations of cheating/found someone better in the meantime, etc etc. The biggest scandal was some ho3 of a girl that slept with 3 guys at the same time in dorms, her bf of 3 years was oblivious to it until 3 months later from a tip-off. Just some nasty crude behaviour.

Im not saying that will happen to you, but beware of social interactions between you two and outsiders.

Dont be fooled to think guys are not going to try and flirt with your girl either, dont be blind to the reality of things.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending