The Student Room Group

First time clubbing

Hi, I went to a proper club for the first time last night and the whole time I felt like I was trying to stop people from touching me, is this a normal thing?
I mean it depends how and where they were touching you...

If it was shoulder bumps or back to back with someone or lots of elbows that's normal in most clubs. Some clubs have people with more decency, but for the most part it's a common occurrence. Usually if you just stand your ground the other person will clock on and move out of the way a bit, but if they don't try to find some space elsewhere, it's not worth getting into a confrontation with some random idiot.
Try not to blatantly push someone out of frustration, if you do either be subtle about it or be prepared to beat their ass/have your ass beat.
Reply 2
No, I would understand people randomly bumping me or brushing against me because it's so crowded, but I had people obviously grabbing my butt, guys grinding on me when I was dancing with my friends, someone grabbed my book when I walked pasted them and even someone put their hand up my skirt while I was waiting at the bar. Maybe it was partly my fault because I got so drunk but it made me feel dirty and like I'm not sure if I want to go again. Is that normal?
Original post by Anonymous
No, I would understand people randomly bumping me or brushing against me because it's so crowded, but I had people obviously grabbing my butt, guys grinding on me when I was dancing with my friends, someone grabbed my book when I walked pasted them and even someone put their hand up my skirt while I was waiting at the bar. Maybe it was partly my fault because I got so drunk but it made me feel dirty and like I'm not sure if I want to go again. Is that normal?

Obviously, it is not normal. You have to be safe out there. If you are being inappropriately touched, report it.

If or whenever you feel safe, you should leave the environment. Don't drink too much that you are not functioning properly. Never leave your drink unattended and always move in groups.

A key suggestion is to share your location with someone can you trust, so if anything goes wrong there are people out there that can find you.

Good luck
Reply 4
Original post by Wired_1800
Obviously, it is not normal. You have to be safe out there. If you are being inappropriately touched, report it.

If or whenever you feel safe, you should leave the environment. Don't drink too much that you are not functioning properly. Never leave your drink unattended and always move in groups.

A key suggestion is to share your location with someone can you trust, so if anything goes wrong there are people out there that can find you.

Good luck

That's a relief that it's not normal, who would I report it too though? And what of I don't know who it was?
Yea I realise it was partly my fault for getting too drunk and maybe I should have worn a different outfit but it was the first time I have been to a club and I have never had a problem at parties before.

That's a good idea, I will share my location with a friend who is not going out in future. Thanks
That's a relief that it's not normal, who would I report it too though? And what of I don't know who it was?
Yea I realise it was partly my fault for getting too drunk and maybe I should have worn a different outfit but it was the first time I have been to a club and I have never had a problem at parties before.

That's a good idea, I will share my location with a friend who is not going out in future. Thanks

We all have to be safer in public, but it is not your fault in what you wear. You have to take care of yourself and not get too drunk to function.

If there is a specific person then you can report to club security or someone at the bar. Speak to a female security or bar staff first.

Stay safe out there and drink responsibly. All the best.
Reply 6
Original post by Wired_1800
We all have to be safer in public, but it is not your fault in what you wear. You have to take care of yourself and not get too drunk to function.

If there is a specific person then you can report to club security or someone at the bar. Speak to a female security or bar staff first.

Stay safe out there and drink responsibly. All the best.

Yea, but if I don't wear a skirt at least then no one can put their hand up it. I wasn't too drunk to function, I was just drunk, I knew what was going on.
So if you don't know who it was a guess there's nothing you can do?

Thanks 🙂
Yea, but if I don't wear a skirt at least then no one can put their hand up it. I wasn't too drunk to function, I was just drunk, I knew what was going on.
So if you don't know who it was a guess there's nothing you can do?

Thanks 🙂

I cannot tell you what to do. All I can do is advise you to be careful. It is a crazy world out there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending