The Student Room Group

I'm Too Old To Be The Family Disappointment - A Yr13 GYG Blog

Scroll to see replies

Well this updates going to be a bit of a mess!

So, Friday's Russia paper was the past paper we thought it would be so I kind of knew what to talk about but felt that pouring over the mark scheme was cheating but overall it went decently.

Although I have lots of notes to catch up on, particularly for History and poetry, I took this weekend off from doing any work but will pick it back up this week.

What I have been doing is questioning my university choices. I just can't seem to get my Liberal Arts personal statement quite right and so am starting to doubt whether that is the course I want. Whilst I like the idea of being able to study pretty much whatever subjects I want, it lacks direction and focus. I'm now trying to decide between an Archeology and History joint degree and a double History degree 🙂. I feel like I've got so much more to talk about for these as they're what I'm really interested in.

I've managed to get my five choices for the archeology joint degree:
Ancient History and Archaeology at Durham
Ancient History and Archaeology at Manchester
Ancient History and Archaeology at Reading
Classical and Archaeological Studies at Kent
Historical Archaeology at Nottingham

Just need to decide on the double History choices. I haven't told my parents yet but I need to as we've booked two open days that I'll probably not applying for.

So yeah, eventful weekend. Also guessing we've got sixth form assembly where they're going to tell us helpful things in the last five minutes as some people have said we're doing a mock results day but I don't know :dontknow:
Okay! So I've figured out my five choices and I've gone with a joint History degree. Luckily I've found an old personal statement from when I was originally going to apply for history!

Kent - Ancient, Medieval and Modern History (BBB with a B in History)

Cardiff - Ancient History and History (ABB - BBB)

Manchester - Ancient History and History (AAB with an A in History)

Swansea - Ancient History and History with a year abroad (BBB)

Exeter - History and Ancient History with study abroad (AAA - AAB)
Original post by Immortal-Reaper
Okay! So I've figured out my five choices and I've gone with a joint History degree. Luckily I've found an old personal statement from when I was originally going to apply for history!

Kent - Ancient, Medieval and Modern History (BBB with a B in History)

Cardiff - Ancient History and History (ABB - BBB)

Manchester - Ancient History and History (AAB with an A in History)

Swansea - Ancient History and History with a year abroad (BBB)

Exeter - History and Ancient History with study abroad (AAA - AAB)

Lovely choices! Good luck with your application! I’m at Cardiff University (first year) studying Chemistry if you have any general questions. :biggrin:
I've submitted my application!
It's such a weird feeling to finally submit it but all I can do now is wait for school to check it and send off the entire thing! :biggrin:

Spoiler

My application is ready to go to UCAS just waiting for the teacher to do my reference!

So Plan for this weekend/next week!
Unfortunately being year thirteen means no break from homework :frown: and my form are doing the House Assembly on Monday:tongue:

Literature:

M - Poetry Comparison (due: 18/11/21) ===> DONE

Language:

M - Language In The Media Essay (due: 19/11/21) {going to do in my two study periods on Wednesday}

L - Child Language Acquisition Essay (due: 18/11/21) {going to do in my study period on Monday}

History:

C - North Berwick Essay (due: 19/11/21) {meant to be doing today}

I also have a load of notes/revision stuff to do over this term so that it's not all left for my March Mocks :tongue:
Also, the exam boards have issued the final dates for our exams next summer so that's terrifying

English Language - Paper 1 - Wednesday 25th May - AM

History - Paper 1 - Thursday 26th May - AM

HALF TERM [30TH MAY – 3RD JUNE]

English Language Paper 2 - Monday 6th June - PM

English Literature Paper 1 - Tuesday 7th June AM

History Paper 2 - Friday 10th June - AM

English Literature Paper 2 - Wednesday 15th June - AM

History Paper 3 - Wednesday 22nd June - AM

(edited 2 years ago)

Spoiler

Update time!

So assembly went really well, but standing up there in front of like 150 students staring at you with blank faces covered by masks is super awkward

My teacher said she'd do my reference on Wednesday, I forgot to ask her if she'd done it yesterday but asked today and she said she had so I mentioned it the SSO who does our UCAS and she said she hadn't seen it so guess I have to wait until next week

Our teachers also had to put our AP grades in on Thursday so now I have to wait over a week to get my results back even though they've been marked and everything :mad:

Only two pieces of homework (one for language and one for history) that I can do next week in my frees but I have got notes that I need to write up this weekend (and more over the coming weeks)

One month to go until Christmas holidays!
I've sent my UCAS application off!

University of Kent - Ancient, Medieval and Modern History (ABB - BBB)

University of Cardiff - Ancient History and History (ABB - BBB)

University of Winchester - Classical Studies (104-120 UCAS points)

University of Wales Trinity Saint David - Ancient History (95 UCAS points)

University of Swansea - Ancient History and History (BBB)

And now I'm impatient and want offers :wink:
I've sent my UCAS application off!

University of Kent - Ancient, Medieval and Modern History (ABB - BBB)

University of Cardiff - Ancient History and History (ABB - BBB)

University of Winchester - Classical Studies (104-120 UCAS points)

University of Wales Trinity Saint David - Ancient History (95 UCAS points)

University of Swansea - Ancient History and History (BBB)

And now I'm impatient and want offers :wink:

Hey @Immortal-Reaper!

Congratulations on sending off your UCAS application! :congrats:
It takes a lot of time and effort, and it can be hard to choose, but I'm really happy to hear you've applied for the University of Kent.

Whilst you wait for a response, I'm more than happy to answer any questions you have about the University or the course, but in the meantime, best of luck! :biggrin:

Nathan
UKC Rep

EDIT: CONGRATULATIONS ON THE OFFER!! That's amazing, well done! :biggrin:
(edited 2 years ago)
Update! So, homework is going steady (although I really wish I didn't have any)
trying to complete yet another CLA essay for L
Need to do a sources essay for C
M said she's going to give us a poetry comparison homework tomorrow

ALSO! I have two offers! Right after saying that I didn't have any yet (seeing as I only applied yesterday), I got an email from UCAS!
Winchester (Classical Studies) - conditional - 120 points (three Bs)
Kent (Ancient, Medieval, and Modern History) - conditional - BBB
Cardiff (Ancient History and History) - conditional - BBB
(edited 2 years ago)
Update! So, homework is going steady (although I really wish I didn't have any)
trying to complete yet another CLA essay for L
Need to do a sources essay for C
M said she's going to give us a poetry comparison homework tomorrow

ALSO! I have two offers! Right after saying that I didn't have any yet (seeing as I only applied yesterday), I got an email from UCAS!
Winchester (Classical Studies) - conditional - 120 points (three Bs)
Kent (Ancient, Medieval, and Modern History) - conditional - BBB
Cardiff (Ancient History and History) - conditional - BBB

Congratulations on your offers!!! :party:

Do you have an idea which you might like to go to yet, or are you waiting to hear from all the unis first?
Original post by Cupcakes12
Congratulations on your offers!!! :party:

Do you have an idea which you might like to go to yet, or are you waiting to hear from all the unis first?

Thanks! I got another one on Wednesday from Swansea for Ancient History and History with study abroad (BBB)!

So just waiting on one more, but yeah I think I'm going to wait for a while as I've only visited Kent and most other physical open days are in spring :smile: I'm probably going to go for one of the welsh unis I think :biggrin:

Spoiler

Trying to do proper updates again!

So the past few weeks have just been trying to survive as all the teachers kept piling on homework immediately after we finished mocks.

So in Language, we're almost at the end of Language in the Media and then we'll be moving onto Language Change with M. With L we've mostly just been doing essays repeatedly but will be going over topical issue soon.
For literature, we've just finished poetry and have started A Doll's House which both teachers will be doing to get it done on time (unfortunately they've been really off with timelines)
We're a good way into Witches for history paper three, having done the contextual knowledge and now the first case study - only four more to go.

Coursework is a whole other story.

History - had to hand in our introduction last week which I finished a while ago and now I'm just editing my first historian which won't be due until Christmas / immediately after Christmas

Literature - I have M for coursework and she's decided not to do anything with it until after Christmas, including amendments to our first piece and starting our second piece. We had to hand in our plan for the second part when we came back after October half term and only after persistent pestering did I get it back, even though she hasn't even read over them - the other group are on the last third which is due by Christmas

Language - unfortunately the same as Literature. M wanted our coursework in almost immediately after we came back from the summer holidays, so even though I've only got the last two hundred words to do + the academic poster, I won't know anything until after Christmas, even though it could have easily been entirely done by now.

At the minute I'm trying to catch up with notes left over from the last term as I was too busy revising as well as writing notes from this term, working on coursework when I can, and, of course, keeping on top of homework.
At least on Tuesday we finally get the results from our mocks so during the week I'll get my papers back [Two for History, two for Literature and one for Language] and we have parent's evening that day too.
Also currently waiting for my last offer from the University of Wales Trinity Saint David but I feel like the universe is going to force me to be patient and so I probably won't get it until the new year - not that I have any idea which uni I want to go to

So yeah, my life is extremely hectic at the minute and I doubt I'll get a proper rest over Christmas. My week looks like this:

Monday
Period One - Study (half of which is taken up by Advent mass)
Period Two - Language (M)
Period Three - Literature (W)
Period Four - History (C)

Tuesday
Period One - Literature (W) {probably going to be taken up with our mock results day}
Period Two - Literature (W)
Period Three - History (Z)
Period Four - RE (cancelled as school's finishing early for parent's evening even though its virtual as it's year 13 and year 11)

Wednesday
Period One - Study
Period Two - Study
Period Three - History (C)
Period Four - PSHE (on exam stress for some reason)

Thursday
Period One - RE
Period Two - Literature (M)
Period Three - Language (L)

Friday
Period One - Language (M)
Period Two - Literature (W)
Period Three - Study
Just got my final offer!
University of Wales Trinity Saint David for Ancient History - 96 points

Now I somehow have to choose a firm and insurance but that probably won't be until spring :wink:

Spoiler

"Trying to do proper updates again!" <== Famous Last Words :rolleyes:

So unfortunately my school-life is still on survival mode and is slowly getting worse now I only have one week left as I have no motivation to do anything (thanks winter) despite my brain screaming at me a million things I need to get done. Last week was a bit mixed as it was my Mum's birthday, my brother got a new job and then a dinner with my grandparents on Saturday soo I didn't get much done and this week was the same.

Homework-wise it's a lot which doesn't help. We've gone back to an old language topic with L as we did it really quickly over lockdown in last year and god I hate creative writing. Also for language M has given us a LUTM question as a refresh which was okay but the source was a bit dry. In our lesson with M on Thursday for Language we did EBIs for our November PPEs (finally) which was the plan but annoyingly she won't move ahead when people are missing, I mean it's understandable as there were only 2 of 4 people there, but why should we fall behind because of the others (the two not there are always off [one is 'ill' and the other had to give in the exam so didn't bother coming to school])? :confused:

Unfortunately, COVID is messing everything up at the minute as we were meant to have M for literature last Thursday but didn't as L was off ill so had to cover the year 11 sixth form taster day so set us a poetry comparison essay which I haven't done yet. Lots in my class are complaining as it's not a question in our real exam and M hasn't even given us homework back from last term (even though some of them do take advantage of M not giving detention for missing/late homework) which I agree with but they always complain but never say anything and if they do it's usually in a rude way meaning nothing gets done. :angry:

And today C (history) made us do a huge piece of work [that she thinks shouldn't take that long] which equates to about five pages in the textbook and is making us finish it before Wednesday. Essentially I think she's quietly worried about timing so won't fall behind her plan, which suggests she'll make us do tonnes of work in Wednesday and Thursday's lessons before making us finish the rest of the topic over Christmas so we can move on to the next one in January even though none of us would have fully understood it (bearing in mind four people were missing from our class of 11 [two are ill and the other two were involved with the visit from the MP]). To add insult to injury, she's decided we're doing a timed essay in class on Monday??? I've given up trying to understand :bird:
(edited 2 years ago)
November PPE Results
[Will edit this again when I get my last paper back]

Language: 46 / 80 - C

Language Under the Microscope - 11/20

Language In the Media - 14/24

Comparing and Contrasting Texts - 21/36

Literature: C on results slip but B on report
Paper One: /60

The Tempest (A + B) - /30

Poetry Comparison - /30

Paper Two: 46/60 - B