The Student Room Group

Is it a must to finish AS before applying for UCAS?

Hello :smile: I'm a private student with reference from my tutor and predicted grade A*AA, planning to finish both AS and Alevel in one summer session.
I wonder if it is disadvantageous for me to do that. Thanks!
Once you do full A level then the AS is irrelevant. I didn’t even take any AS exams. So no, you’re not disadvantaged
Reply 2
Original post by WantBeAnonymous
Once you do full A level then the AS is irrelevant. I didn’t even take any AS exams. So no, you’re not disadvantaged

Thank you :smile: Did you get any interviews without AS result?
Original post by rimskys
Hello :smile: I'm a private student with reference from my tutor and predicted grade A*AA, planning to finish both AS and Alevel in one summer session.
I wonder if it is disadvantageous for me to do that. Thanks!

I think a uni would have doubts about whether someone could achieve A*AA in one year unless you have really outstanding academics from previous study to support your application to top unis
Original post by rimskys

What subject are you applying for?
Reply 5
Original post by harrysbar
I think a uni would have doubts about whether someone could achieve A*AA in one year unless you have really outstanding academics from previous study to support your application to top unis

Thank you! Will a bad AS result affect the chance of interview from top uni?
A in Chemistry and Economics but B-C in Biology
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by McGinger
What subject are you applying for?

Biomed
Original post by rimskys
Biomed

Aside from Oxford, Cambridge and for some courses at Manchester, no Unis interview for Biomed.
Reply 8
Original post by McGinger
Aside from Oxford, Cambridge and for some courses at Manchester, no Unis interview for Biomed.

I applied for Imperial, UCL and Edin, will lack of AS result affect the chance of getting a offer from them?
Original post by rimskys

The course I applied for isn’t one that does interviews but I got 4 unconditional offers
Original post by rimskys
Thank you! Will a bad AS result affect the chance of interview from top uni?
A in Chemistry and Economics but B-C in Biology

I thought you didn't have AS results? #confused
Reply 11
Original post by harrysbar
I thought you didn't have AS results? #confused

I don't have one now but I could enroll for January session (IAL)
I'm thinking if I should enroll for that
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by rimskys
I don't have one now but I could enroll for January session (IAL)
I'm thinking if I should enroll for that

Most students in England don't complete AS Levels any longer so it will not disadvantage you.
Reply 13
Original post by WantBeAnonymous
The course I applied for isn’t one that does interviews but I got 4 unconditional offers

Did you finish Alevel before receiving offers?
Reply 14
Original post by Admit-One
Most students in England don't complete AS Levels any longer so it will not disadvantage you.

Do you mean they only have to finish A2 units for UCAS?
Original post by rimskys

They don't need to have finished any units really. In most cases just to have completed enough work for their teachers to provide predicted grades.
Reply 16
Original post by rimskys

No. In England the entire A level specification is examined at the end of the course in a single exam season so pe5ople don't take external exams part way through. (AS does stills exist for most subjects but if you take the exams they don't contribute to the final grade, just like GCSE results don't contribute to it either).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending