The Student Room Group

How do you make your eyesight better when has been damaged by staring at a computer

I normally had perfect vision and could see close and far distances, so me getting blurry vision wasn’t genetics. So basically because of lockdown and PowerPoint course work I spent a lot of time looking at a computer in online class. My vision started to get blurry due to the amount of time on the computer and the bad lighting in my room. My room has 1 light and it is really poor.
Does anyone know how to cure computer eye syndrome/strain (this is when you get blurry ness or pain in the eyes due to staring at a screen).
I heard that if it was caused by external factors like looking at a computer screen then it can be fixed naturally unlike if you were born or developed with poor vision due to genetics.

Does anyone have an experience with blurry visions and that they were able to fix it.
(If your wondering why I don’t get glasses it’s because it will eventually damage my eyes more. Right now I can roughly see a like 4 meters ahead in perfect focus and then everything else is slightly blurred. Like I can still see stuff like the corners of objects, but I cannot see thin object very far away like 10metres)
Not getting glasses when you need them will just put more strain on your eyes. I would go and get an eye test.
Original post by black tea
Not getting glasses when you need them will just put more strain on your eyes. I would go and get an eye test.

I saw a method that many people used was that they stared and focused at a far away object for like 5-10minutes and then looked at an object really close for 5-10minutes that helps your ciliary get used to moving and so focusing on objects at different distances
Original post by anomaly--1
I saw a method that many people used was that they stared and focused at a far away object for like 5-10minutes and then looked at an object really close for 5-10minutes that helps your ciliary get used to moving and so focusing on objects at different distances

I would still suggest getting an eye test.
Reply 4

The point is though

The point is though that I don’t want glasses as it just wouldn’t suit me. I feel like my eyes have paid the price for online learning due to lock down and I just want my normal vision back
Reply 5
surgery
Reply 6
Original post by Ciel.
surgery

I’m under 20 my eyes haven’t full developed so I would have to wait anyway, plus laser eye surgery is like 5k
Original post by Anonymous

The point is though that I don’t want glasses as it just wouldn’t suit me.

Contacts are an option if you don't want glasses. Either way, this issue is not just going to go away.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
I’m under 20 my eyes haven’t full developed so I would have to wait anyway, plus laser eye surgery is like 5k

yeah but the whole 'you can fix your eyesight if you don't wear glasses' thing is a complete lie
All I know is my experience of dealing with the pain. When I was in pain from eye strain, the doctor gave me drops and also putting a cold wet towel over my closed eyes helped a lot to relax the tension (helped me personally more than the drops)

Original post by anomaly--1

This is also very similar to advice my optician gave me. One of my eyes is quite weak and falls out of focus quite a lot. I was told to focus on a close image and hold it, then release and rest for a few minutes, then repeat. Basically eye exercises to work out the muscles in my eye. (it got tiring so I hardly do it. It sounds weird but my eye gets tired lol)

I think advice from an optician/doctor would really help. They may be able to recommend ways for you to also strengthen your focus or give you something for any pain you might get.
Original post by Satori Tendō
All I know is my experience of dealing with the pain. When I was in pain from eye strain, the doctor gave me drops and also putting a cold wet towel over my closed eyes helped a lot to relax the tension (helped me personally more than the drops)

This is also very similar to advice my optician gave me. One of my eyes is quite weak and falls out of focus quite a lot. I was told to focus on a close image and hold it, then release and rest for a few minutes, then repeat. Basically eye exercises to work out the muscles in my eye. (it got tiring so I hardly do it. It sounds weird but my eye gets tired lol)

I think advice from an optician/doctor would really help. They may be able to recommend ways for you to also strengthen your focus or give you something for any pain you might get.

I’m considering going to the opticians. But did your focus get any better
I’m considering going to the opticians. But did your focus get any better

Surprisingly it did but on the other eye :0 One of my biggest flexes is how well far and well I can see with that one eye. It's probably compensating for that one weak eye all my life. A super eye lol
Since like you said, computer strain isn't usually perm anyway, I hope you find improvement soon.

Opticians are probably used to people coming in with this concern, maybe they'll have the best advice to get your focus back up.
I read something interesting once I want to tell you as it might help, apparently it’s good to practice looking at both long and short distances. If you are only looking at very short distances ie at a laptop screen or the Walls inside your house your eyes are rarely working in long distance mode, this can result in myopia/short sightedness. It’s good to look at far distances like the horizon or across a field (go for a walk regularly)

People rarely realise that they are not working on their distance vision as they are stuck in buildings all day
google "endmyopia" it hasn't worked for me but seems to for others (I have a massive difference between my eyes and astigmatism so that probably makes it harder) it's worth having a look
Do more breaks from screens, work on good habits, avoid eyestrain and use glasses only when needed. Some eye exercises may help too.
google "endmyopia" it hasn't worked for me but seems to for others (I have a massive difference between my eyes and astigmatism so that probably makes it harder) it's worth having a look

You can work more on your weaker eye and use a better correction for it while undercorrecting it can be beneficial, try that if it doesn't strain your eyes more, if it does, stop it. Vision correction should be at least 6/12, keep that in mind.

Quick Reply

Latest