The Student Room Group

Push-ups everyday to build muscle

Hi,

I decided to do push-ups everyday and increase the number as I get used to the current amount. On day one I started doing 10 push-ups max in one set before I struggle and fails and I can feel my lats, abs and shoulders sore (but I’m not out of breath). I plan to increase this to gradually 15 - 20 push-ups daily.

I do slow push-ups since I aim to do it in perfect form as possible.

I’m wondering, will this add tone to my body? I don’t want to increase my reps until it turns into endurance training
Building muscle also requires rest.
Keep reps less than 25 if you want muscle. You can do variations or tempo changed to reach below this number. It will get you toned, but don’t neglect other body parts.
just go gym
I tend to do push-ups but i do them after bench press & pectoral flys, I think you’ll be limited as to how much muscle you can grow if it’s all you do
Original post by CaptainDuckie
just go gym

I can’t unfortunately. Very busy lifestyle plus there aren’t any nearby gym within a 5 mile radius and I’m not walking 5 miles
Original post by crashcody
Keep reps less than 25 if you want muscle. You can do variations or tempo changed to reach below this number. It will get you toned, but don’t neglect other body parts.

Thanks. I tend to walk and stand a lot and I hope that tones my legs. I don’t wanna build crazy muscle tho- I just noticed that my legs feel more toned than my upper body so I aim to add pushups to balance it out.
If getting better at pushups is your goal, or you want to use them as a springboard to getting into weight training, sure. I'd suggest, though, doing an equal amount of work on pullups, to avoid muscular imbalance problems and postural issues. Pullup bars are very cheap so there's no reason not to (can even get a "door gym" type of pullup bar if you're not allowed to tamper with the doorframe for whatever reason, I used one of these for 2 years and they're safe if used correctly).

Train every other day, doing both your pullups and pushups in one session (I'd suggest maybe doing whatever exercise you struggle with most, so if you can do 10 pushups currently and can do less than 10 pullups, start with pullups, rest like 3 minutes after your pullup workout, then crack on with the pushups). You can do 10 pushups already, so maybe start at two sets of 10 now. Rest for 1.5 minutes between each set (would have said 1-2 minutes but it's a good idea to be consistent with your rest times for more accurate progress tracking).

When you can complete 2 sets of 10, next workout add in another set. So next workout you'll likely finish 2 sets of 10 and then fail to hit 10 reps on set 3. This is fine. Once you can complete all 3 sets, add in another set for the subsequent workouts. Keep doing this all the way up to 10 sets of 10 (a la German Volume Training). Will obviously help to keep a log of your workouts to track progress on both exercises

If you get that far with it over time, you'll have gotten significantly stronger and bigger. You'll aid your progress if you eat to gain of course, see the Diet sub-section in the FItness section. From there, might be time to start hitting the gym and train your whole body - whole body training from the start would of course be much more ideal than just training your upper body in this fashion and I would highly advise it. If, however, you're dead set on improving at pushups and gaining some muscle from it, that would be my approach.
Original post by 14ahussain
I can’t unfortunately. Very busy lifestyle plus there aren’t any nearby gym within a 5 mile radius and I’m not walking 5 miles

Invest in dumb bells
Invest in dumb bells

Nah, get the smart ones.

Spoiler

just go gym

I mean if push ups work then why pay for a gym membership
Original post by flamingolover
I mean if push ups work then why pay for a gym membership

there’s only so much you will be able to grow with push ups.

unless you add some sort of extra weight on yourself to add extra resistance. Gym, is ideal for maximum growth and progressively overloading your muscles.
there’s only so much you will be able to grow with push ups.

unless you add some sort of extra weight on yourself to add extra resistance. Gym, is ideal for maximum growth and progressively overloading your muscles.

Yesh but it depends on what they want, I just have weights snd home so I don’t need to go to the gym
'A Little' - Only so much progression you can make with bodyweight (partly why you see so many different variations in method as people try to get all they can out of it, 1 handed, claps, pulses etc)
Original post by flamingolover
Yesh but it depends on what they want, I just have weights snd home so I don’t need to go to the gym

you have weights, they don’t. Hence why I said particularly that they should either go to the gym or try investing into some dumbbells.
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
If getting better at pushups is your goal, or you want to use them as a springboard to getting into weight training, sure. I'd suggest, though, doing an equal amount of work on pullups, to avoid muscular imbalance problems and postural issues. Pullup bars are very cheap so there's no reason not to (can even get a "door gym" type of pullup bar if you're not allowed to tamper with the doorframe for whatever reason, I used one of these for 2 years and they're safe if used correctly).

Train every other day, doing both your pullups and pushups in one session (I'd suggest maybe doing whatever exercise you struggle with most, so if you can do 10 pushups currently and can do less than 10 pullups, start with pullups, rest like 3 minutes after your pullup workout, then crack on with the pushups). You can do 10 pushups already, so maybe start at two sets of 10 now. Rest for 1.5 minutes between each set (would have said 1-2 minutes but it's a good idea to be consistent with your rest times for more accurate progress tracking).

When you can complete 2 sets of 10, next workout add in another set. So next workout you'll likely finish 2 sets of 10 and then fail to hit 10 reps on set 3. This is fine. Once you can complete all 3 sets, add in another set for the subsequent workouts. Keep doing this all the way up to 10 sets of 10 (a la German Volume Training). Will obviously help to keep a log of your workouts to track progress on both exercises

If you get that far with it over time, you'll have gotten significantly stronger and bigger. You'll aid your progress if you eat to gain of course, see the Diet sub-section in the FItness section. From there, might be time to start hitting the gym and train your whole body - whole body training from the start would of course be much more ideal than just training your upper body in this fashion and I would highly advise it. If, however, you're dead set on improving at pushups and gaining some muscle from it, that would be my approach.

Thanks for your advice!
Do 5 as a warm up first! Then work away, warming up could push your max of 10 up, and continue to do that. Always warm up first!
Variations are good for it, do normal to start raising your legs so more weight is applied to the upper half (feet on chair or bed) incline a little will greatly help…
But as said about press ups will only build muscle to an extent.. could apply weight to your back if you don’t go to the gym
Original post by 14ahussain
Hi,

I decided to do push-ups everyday and increase the number as I get used to the current amount. On day one I started doing 10 push-ups max in one set before I struggle and fails and I can feel my lats, abs and shoulders sore (but I’m not out of breath). I plan to increase this to gradually 15 - 20 push-ups daily.

I do slow push-ups since I aim to do it in perfect form as possible.

I’m wondering, will this add tone to my body? I don’t want to increase my reps until it turns into endurance training

Hi there, I hope that you're doing well.

Pushups really help build muscle and form some sort of strength in the chest region. If you want to improve just stay consistent and dedicated and slowly but surely you will be making progress. However, repeating a single exercise might help build muscle but if you add different exercises in then your body will develop faster you can try different angles on pushups to improve your strength in the chest region!
I should say that going to the gym might not be as effective as bodyweight exercises such as squats, push-ups, and pull-ups. If you look at the different variations of just push-ups (forget about pull-ups and squats), you'll see that they each concentrate on different muscle groups. Moreover, if you understand mathematics well, it should be evident that changing the angle by using a chair or a bench will dramatically increase tension on your shoulders and other muscles. So, doing bodyweight exercises is a great way to go. One problem I see with many of my friends is that they get motivated to go to the gym, but in the best circumstances, they quit after just one year. Also, in my opinion, trying to make a habit of going to the gym doesn't work well, as to get visible results, you need to put in more energy than your body is willing to give in most cases. This means you have to rely on willpower every time, and this resource is quite limited. Personally, I find bodyweight exercises more effective because, first, you're less likely to get injuries. Second, you get more satisfaction from exercises like muscle-ups or angled push-ups than benching 100kg. Third, bodyweight exercises include mainly natural movements, resulting in more balanced results. And fourth, the most important, you don't need to prepare a lot before exercising, as gyms may be far away, closed, or crowded, but your legs and hands are always with you. I have managed to study and exercise for four years now perfectly, so people who say you can't do both simultaneously are talking nonsense. I am 19 years old now, and I don't find push-ups any less effective than dumbbells or going to the gym, as exercising regularly is much more important than quick results that would eventually disappear when you stop. In the long run forming a positive link between exercising and good mental health is the most important thing from my experience.

Quick Reply

Latest