The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
The UCL application is open! Just to double check I'm not going to end up applying for the wrong course, it is the one called MSc Speech and Language Sciences right??
Original post by mh595
The UCL application is open! Just to double check I'm not going to end up applying for the wrong course, it is the one called MSc Speech and Language Sciences right??

Thanks for this! Yes, I'm pretty sure that's right :smile:
Original post by cathersmcgraw
Hello everyone!

Firstly thank you for all the useful information that people have been posting - its been a real help, if also at times incredibly daunting/makes me realise how much I need to do!

I just wanted to ask about people who do slt-related volunteering at the weekends, or know of any SLT courses that are scheduled at weekends?

I ask because I currently have a full time job as an LSA, and the one on one nature of the work makes it near impossible for me to request any time off.

Although my job gives me really good experience for applications (I work with two autistic spectrum children with communication problems - I'm actually attending SLT appointments with both of them tomorrow!) I am concerned that this may not be "enough" for my personal statememt , especially considering I have no experience working with adults and looking at how much work people on here have already done!

I'm looking to apply to UCL, City, Essex and possibly Reading.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Hi!

Welcome to the thread :smile:

I can't really help you with your question but thought I'd say hello!

I'm applying to UCL< City, Reading and Greenwich
Original post by cathersmcgraw
Hello everyone!

Firstly thank you for all the useful information that people have been posting - its been a real help, if also at times incredibly daunting/makes me realise how much I need to do!

I just wanted to ask about people who do slt-related volunteering at the weekends, or know of any SLT courses that are scheduled at weekends?

I ask because I currently have a full time job as an LSA, and the one on one nature of the work makes it near impossible for me to request any time off.

Although my job gives me really good experience for applications (I work with two autistic spectrum children with communication problems - I'm actually attending SLT appointments with both of them tomorrow!) I am concerned that this may not be "enough" for my personal statememt , especially considering I have no experience working with adults and looking at how much work people on here have already done!

I'm looking to apply to UCL, City, Essex and possibly Reading.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Hi I'm an LSA aswell but I volunteer with a private therapist on a Saturday to bulk up my experience. I'm also applying to volunteer for a local charity that works with adults who need extra support but I'm not sure if I will get that in time. I'm submitting my applications in the October half term so that they are both sorted and I don't have to keep worrying about it!

I'm applying for UCL and Reading.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 84
Hi everyone, could really do with some help!
I am in my final year studying BSc Psychology and want to apply for postgraduate SLT 2014. I was under the impression that i had to take a year out before applying and only just found out that this is not the case. Therefore everything has been a bit of a rush to apply this year and i want some advice. Let me give you some background info:

Work experience:
> A year volunteering with a SLT one day a week (assessing, shadowing and assisting) - Though this was almost 3 years ago when I was in college.
> 2 years volunteering in SEN classes 2-3 times a week - Again, almost 3 years ago.
> 2 weeks assisting speech and language sessions at a primary school
> Currently a Learning Disibility Support Volunteer for a group of adults, learning and teaching Makaton
> Working towards level one in BSL

Planning to Apply to:
> UCL
> City
> Greenwich

Advice?
> Is my work experience enough? i may be able to get some experience working with autistic adults.
> What are the recommended reading?
> How do i apply? i.e. do we need to write a personal statement?

Would really appreciate some help!
Thank you
:smile:
SALT2014, my understanding is that only Essex and Sheffield take applications from students who are coming straight from undergrad. Have you double-checked with your chosen universities that they'll consider you?

Each university has its own application system, and a personal statement is included. You need to apply through the relevant university websites.

Check the departmental websites for suggested reading - there is often something on there. In your position I would look for books like Sheila Hale's The Man Who Lost His Language, Russ Rhymer's Genie, etc., which offer personal insights into communication impairments but also give a nice general intro to aphasia and psycholinguistics respectively. There are quite a few books like that out there.
Reply 86
Original post by SALT2014
Hi everyone, could really do with some help!
I am in my final year studying BSc Psychology and want to apply for postgraduate SLT 2014. I was under the impression that i had to take a year out before applying and only just found out that this is not the case. Therefore everything has been a bit of a rush to apply this year and i want some advice. Let me give you some background info:

Work experience:
> A year volunteering with a SLT one day a week (assessing, shadowing and assisting) - Though this was almost 3 years ago when I was in college.
> 2 years volunteering in SEN classes 2-3 times a week - Again, almost 3 years ago.
> 2 weeks assisting speech and language sessions at a primary school
> Currently a Learning Disibility Support Volunteer for a group of adults, learning and teaching Makaton
> Working towards level one in BSL

Planning to Apply to:
> UCL
> City
> Greenwich

Advice?
> Is my work experience enough? i may be able to get some experience working with autistic adults.
> What are the recommended reading?
> How do i apply? i.e. do we need to write a personal statement?

Would really appreciate some help!
Thank you
:smile:

I'm not sure about Greenwich, but city do accept applications straight from undergrad, ucl don't. Having said that, it's really tough to get on. Your work experience sounds great, but do think about what you've learnt as well as clocking up the hours. Something with adults is Prob a good idea too xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 87
Original post by AnnieV
Darnit. I just can't work out if it means that they're only taking 11 people, or if you're number 12 then you have to cover the fees yourself.

I think it's probably worth ringing the department to ask them. My impression is that they only take 11 home students, those who pay are usually international.
Is anyone clued up on the NHS funding of the course? I'm not talking about the bursaries they offer, just whether they cover the course fees at postgraduate level. I applied to Sheffield last year (but didn't get in :-( ) and was told that the fees were covered by the NHS. I automatically assumed this would then be the case for all Universities but I've just been on Newcastle Uni's website and it says the course is £5,500 per year. Help!
Newcastle's course used to be funded. It may be that things are changing due to the cuts. The simplest way would be to ring them up and ask them.
Original post by opalescent
Newcastle's course used to be funded. It may be that things are changing due to the cuts. The simplest way would be to ring them up and ask them.

Thanks. I've emailed to ask them. Glad I took a closer look at the website before getting further into my application.
Reply 91
Original post by louboutin*
Is anyone clued up on the NHS funding of the course? I'm not talking about the bursaries they offer, just whether they cover the course fees at postgraduate level. I applied to Sheffield last year (but didn't get in :-( ) and was told that the fees were covered by the NHS. I automatically assumed this would then be the case for all Universities but I've just been on Newcastle Uni's website and it says the course is £5,500 per year. Help!

They list tuition fees because, at postgraduate level, they can take international students. Home students are still funded by the NHS. Read the website properly.
Reply 92
Original post by louboutin*

Hey. I think others have answered your question here, but it's probably a good idea to query the fees. With the cuts to the NHS you've got to wonder if they will keep paying the fees forever.
Hi just getting things sorted for my UCL application but can't seem to find where the work experience form gets uploaded?! Not sure if they have changed their application from previous years and now no longer want the work experience form. Thanks Emily

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 94
Hiya, Im interested in Reading's masters program for speech. Any info about the program, placements and pointers/ advice when applying would be great! Does anyone know typically how their week will look like, do they have holidays?
Reply 95
Original post by emilyross17
Hi just getting things sorted for my UCL application but can't seem to find where the work experience form gets uploaded?! Not sure if they have changed their application from previous years and now no longer want the work experience form. Thanks Emily

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello, I think they still want the work experience form it looks like there should be the opportunity to upload it as an additional document at the end of the process.

Perhaps I've got it wrong but I can't seem to jump ahead from the education section to start on the remaining sections until I've uploaded my university transcript, which I'll have to wait a couple of weeks for! Bit frustrating...
Original post by evantej
They list tuition fees because, at postgraduate level, they can take international students. Home students are still funded by the NHS. Read the website properly.

The site I was looking at listed the fees as £5,500 per year for UK and EU students so I was a little confused. With the way things are in the NHS now I wasn't sure if they were cutting funding for the course. The university have confirmed that UK students are still funded though.
Reply 97
Original post by paperlily3
I think it's probably worth ringing the department to ask them. My impression is that they only take 11 home students, those who pay are usually international.

Yup, I edited my first question but had forgotten I'd replied in a similar vein. I spoke to the staff at Reading at the open day back in September, and, yes, any students above that number just don't get in :-)
Reply 98
Original post by Kerrison
I had to log out first, and then log back in and I was able to jump ahead to different sections (as I haven't uploaded my university transcript yet either). Let me know if that works for you. However when doing this, I have not found anywhere to upload the work experience form? Does anybody know where the form should be uploaded?

Hmm... even when I log out and back in, as soon as I try to move on from the education section, I get a pop up telling me I need to upload a transcript.

Regarding the work experience form, according to the UCL instructions, once you've completed the checklist section (after the declaration), you will be able to upload documents including an "additional document". I'm guessing that's where the work experience form would go. Is that not what you're finding?
On that page it only gives the option to submit the application I have emailed to find out so will post when I get a reply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest