The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

who the feck is rucklo lol
Reply 1782
Powerhouse
Holy :snow::snow::snow::snow:, please tell me you have only just realised?

And meh, I use this account to argue and wind people up like saying terrorists are good and shizz, quite fun to read the quotes.

I got about 4-5 accounts dating back to 2005 :p:.

Keep your trolling aimed at non-regulars. Stop with the :snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow:.
Reply 1783
:rofl:

lmao, its going to pop up in all of the resolution threads now.
SMed
:rofl:

That is brilliaint.
Fat Rav looks in good shape. It was interesting what he said about Westside and he says training WSB style at ST was the worst thing he has done. So that you don't take that out of context, he meant that while he learned a lot and the guys were great, box squats with the SSB just don't carry over at all to someone who has only been free squatting with a straight bar for a few months. He did a 150x3 squat and put me in my place by putting the 80 kg log overhead like nutting but a peanut after I missed it (although I did get it afterwards). I mashed my hip squatting Rippetoe style for the first time in forever with 150 kg for 3 sets of 5. This will go right back up though.
Reply 1787
burningnun
Fat Rav looks in good shape. It was interesting what he said about Westside and he says training WSB style at ST was the worst thing he has done. So that you don't take that out of context, he meant that while he learned a lot and the guys were great, box squats with the SSB just don't carry over at all to someone who has only been free squatting with a straight bar for a few months. He did a 150x3 squat and put me in my place by putting the 80 kg log overhead like nutting but a peanut after I missed it (although I did get it afterwards). I mashed my hip squatting Rippetoe style for the first time in forever with 150 kg for 3 sets of 5. This will go right back up though.

Either the logs a lot easier than a barbell, or ravs gained :snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow: of pressing strength. Actually even if it is easier than a BB, with ravs long arms thats still amazing!
Rav has gained a lot of pressing strength. He says he benches about 100 now. The log press is... different. It's hard to say whether it's harder or easier. It's definitely awkward but I think bigger guys can handle the awkwardness better than smaller ones.
burningnun

That was the same with me. I had been straight bar squatting all of three months, with piss poor form to boot, and then switched over to box squats for the same amount of time, and then got no carryover to free squats when I tried them.

I'm sure box squats will work very very well when I'm more experienced with free squatting, as long as I don't abandon free squats for too long.
Yeah I see it quite a bit on the internet and I saw it with you. I mean, you squatted like 150x5 to a box and something like 145x1 free didn't you? You can usually say "oh yeah, that's because he was learning box squats wrong off some internet video" but in Rav's case he was learning in person from some of the best in the world. Implementation isn't to blame, method is.
Reply 1791
burningnun

Whats your squat stance normally?
Whats your squat stance normally?

Reply 1793
cheers budday
burningnun
Yeah I see it quite a bit on the internet and I saw it with you. I mean, you squatted like 150x5 to a box and something like 145x1 free didn't you? You can usually say "oh yeah, that's because he was learning box squats wrong off some internet video" but in Rav's case he was learning in person from some of the best in the world. Implementation isn't to blame, method is.

I think it was exactly one year ago to this day that I squatted 145kg x 1 after three months of free bar squatting. Form was terrible, but it satisfied the depth requirements of even an over elitist IPF judge. Squat for reps at that period was 125 3x5.

I did 150 2x5 to a box exactly parallel. I'm sure form was at least half decent. Nick kindly taught me form and corrected me a bit as well, since I was initially coming down too hard on the box and not sitting back far enough.

After I came off of box squats and also a week totally off during the spring, I wanted to test out my free squat. It was a disaster. I got 150 x 1 - technically a PB but nowhere near what I thought I would have gotten - with terrible form and utterly failed 160. The removal of the box absolutely ****ed me over. I had totally forgotten how to squat to depth without a box.

I remember you wrote a lengthy post on it, which at the time I thought was a bit rubbish because Westside and Louie Simmons and Joe from Ironaddicts couldn't possibly be wrong. I wasn't doing any knee flexion specific exercises at the time, it was posterior core, posterior core posterior core!

I also never gained any leg mass during this period as well. That might have been because of **** diet philosophies or because wide stance parallel box squats performed in a mechanically advantageous way are not as good for leg mass than medium stance full squats. I'm sure Louie has said before that lifters may actually lose quad size in squatting the Westside way but it doesn't matter because it's the hamstrings and glutes which are responsible for a strong squat.

I actually used to get sore knees during that period as well, which was strange, as I always heard that it's olympic style squats with knees several miles past toes that give people knee pain and that box squatting doesn't.

Overall I'm going to have to agree with you in that it was poor method that was the problem. Someone who had only been free squatting with terrible form for three months was never going to be able to totally switch over to box squats for a few months and them come back and set a free squat PR. I'll take up box squatting again when I actually know how to free squat properly, and can do it with a decent amount of weight.

What was the effect of Westside style training on Rav's free squat numbers?
Basically what he said was he squatted 170 to a foam box (not sure what bar he used) when he was there. Granted he admits he got a bit lazy after he came back but he also said the 150x3 he did today was a free squat PB.
Just to add, when I went onto a westside type program for just over a month (following starrs), which didn't really include any free squatting, when I went back to free squatting if anything I felt weaker.
Reply 1797
commandant
Just to add, when I went onto a westside type program for just over a month (following starrs), which didn't really include any free squatting, when I went back to free squatting if anything I felt weaker.

Which starrs program did you do? Madcows?
yeh done it a few times, cracking stuff
Reply 1799
Tonality.

Latest