The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My girlfriend doesn't seem bothered about it
Reply 2
I don't think I could date somebody significantly less intelligent than me, but I'd find somebody who was intellectually far superior a bit too intimidating.

So, around the same level as me.
How intelligent are we talking here ?

Anyway, it would be nice if he was more intelligent because I like learning from others. Or at least skilled in a different area to me.
I'd like to have a male who is on the same wavelength as me or even smarter... I like a challenge.
Reply 5
Depends on your definition of intelligence really (and, no, academic qualifications aren't a big enough factor).

Whether I'm considered intelligent or not is subjective really, but I'd say I'd like to be able to at least have an intelligent conversation with my boyfriend but other than that it doesn't really matter that much. Although it would be easier if we're on a similar level.
I wouldn't want a guy more stupid than me, I would hate explaining myself all the time because he wouldn't get it.
Until now all my ex boyfriends were significantly less intelligent than me. The guys who I seem to go for now are more on a par with me, but I find extremely intelligent men very sexy xx
I wouldn't say I'm above average intelligence, but I have no problem dating someone who has less (academic) qualifications than I do, or dating someone with more (academic) qualifications than I do. My best relationship I've had to date was with an electrician who hadn't finished his GCSEs, however I've also dated someone who had just completed their PhD. I had far more fun, and far deeper and seemingly 'intelligent' conversations with the electrician than I had with the bloke with the PhD.

(I'm using that as an example from my personal experience, not as a gross generalisation)
Reply 9
id need a guy who was roughly the same simply so you could have really interesting converations, he has insightful things to say about things etc. but not necessarily academic. for example i'm studying engineering( and was high achieving at school esp. maths ) and my boyfriend is at art school and is an amazing musician(but dyslexic and not very high achieveing at school) it works because we never compete as we have very different strengths. im not going to lie i would find it hard going out with someone who was better than me in my own field.
Reply 10
Most guys I know date girls way smarter than them, myself included. I pretty much just about got through school, yet my girlfriend holds her school's GCSE record.

Though in a normal conversation most people wouldn't normally think she was intellectually superior to me. I guess grades don't mean everything.
girls aren't intelligent?
Reply 12
pinkspiders
I wouldn't say I'm above average intelligence, but I have no problem dating someone who has less (academic) qualifications than I do, or dating someone with more (academic) qualifications than I do. My best relationship I've had to date was with an electrician who hadn't finished his GCSEs, however I've also dated someone who had just completed their PhD. I had far more fun, and far deeper and seemingly 'intelligent' conversations with the electrician than I had with the bloke with the PhD.

(I'm using that as an example from my personal experience, not as a gross generalisation)

I wouldn't say that academic qualifications correlate to intelligence so well. I have a first class (undergrad) Masters and I am thick as ******* most of the time.
I want someone I could have intelligent conversations with.
I do prefer guys who are just as smart as I am, or even smarter. I have yet to meet someone like that.
pinkspiders

I think you're probably undestimating your intelligence, I'm sure you'd score more than 100.
Jake22
I wouldn't say that academic qualifications correlate to intelligence so well. I have a first class (undergrad) Masters and I am thick as ******* most of the time.

I couldn't think of a better way to quantify 'intelligence.' Academia sprang to mind, as many people do generalise that way - I do get your point though :smile:
Jake22

This. No one cares about your 50 A*'s when you can't hold an intelligent conversation. :yup:

If they had both types of intelligence that would be ideal.
Reflexive
I think you're probably undestimating your intelligence, I'm sure you'd score more than 100.

Thanks, I think :smile:
Intelligent girls like intelligent men, oddly enough.
I'd never date a more intelligent woman than me

I'd never date a woman who earned more than me

I'd never date a woman who dressed better than me

Latest

Trending

Trending