The Student Room Group

A thread to educate about depression + suicide [POTENTIAL TRIGGER]

People seem to get alot of abuse if they talk about their depression/suicidal feelings on TSR. Yes, we all know alot of it is done by people because they are anon etc, but what those people don't realise is that what they say is/can effect a real person in a real situation. The purpose of this thread is to give people information about depression/suicide, not in the form of millions of facts, but one or two suprising facts, and a video.

I think TSR is in need of a thread like this, just to increase user's awareness, particularly to make it real to people that what they say can effect someone's life in a real bad way. I think I'm also a good person to write this thread, having been through serious depression, suicide attempt...and came through it, most importantly. So, here goes:

1) Although, on average, 1 in every 3 people get cancer at some point in their life, more people get depression.

2) Suicide is the world's number 1 leading cause of death among 15-24 year olds.

3) Telling someone who is depressed to 'man up' is not like telling someone who has had a bad day to 'get over it', it does not work, and can make the situation worse because the depressed person will almost definetly feel as though noone is listening and that they are more lonely than before they tried to talk about it.

facts done. My own comment(s)

have you got dyslexia, asperger's, some form of unseen disability etc, and are you fed up with being judged/stereotyped? Well that is what it is like to have depression, in a way particularly on TSR, because trolls will be stupid because they are anon' when actually they could have a very bad effect/

Do you think that noone who has ever posted about suicide on TSR has actually done it? Well you are wrong, I know of instances when people have posted for months about suicide/depression and have completed it, I always wonder how the trolls felt then. Not to bad I suspect because they have anon...obviously!

Lastly, a video, not something that can be watched in 20 mins, but something that you could sit down one evening when bored and watch. It is a potential trigger, and for the trolls who say they don't care, this video shows people committing suicide by jumping from a bridge, then talking to their friends and families. This is a video which I think will make it real for all of you. 9 parts, roughly 10 mins each:

part 1 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwsvRgFcFAg
part 2 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS86995vQj4&feature=related
part 3 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv45Lxm8Epo&feature=related
etc, can be found on youtube on the right.

Thanks.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Can I ask where you got the fact the more people die through suicide than cancer from? Because that seems incredibly unlikely
Reply 2
Original post by mathperson
People seem to get alot of abuse if they talk about their depression/suicidal feelings on TSR. Yes, we all know alot of it is done by people because they are anon etc, but what those people don't realise is that what they say is/can effect a real person in a real situation. The purpose of this thread is to give people information about depression/suicide, not in the form of millions of facts, but one or two suprising facts, and a video.

Do you think that noone who has ever posted about suicide on TSR has actually done it? Well you are wrong, I know of instances when people have posted for months about suicide/depression and have completed it, I always wonder how the trolls felt then. Not to bad I suspect because they have anon...obviously!

Thanks.

I don't troll and always try to give helpful honest answers. However, what do you want people to say to those who post about depression? TSR can't help them, only professional counsellors and the real world can. The trolls just can't be held responsible for a few silly comments on an internet forum. A forum directed at students is bound to have silly comments. I hope that anyone who is unfortunate enough to be depressed goes to see a professional about it rather than post on TSR.

I am not going to watch the video though (tired!)
I can tell you right now, mp, more people die from cancer than suicide per year. Just thought I'd get that out the way before it ruins what should be a good thread.

I haven't seen that documentary, keep meaning to watch it.
Depression is misunderstood, I myself have experienced it. But it is hard for people to seperate the trolls and attention seekers from those geniunely medically depressed, and silly comments are a given on something like this. If someone uses TSR or Formspring or something they should expect abuse and a lack of sympathy.
Post number five is not the thread starter, I'm someone different, i don't know why it says that
Reply 6

3) Telling someone who is depressed to 'man up' is not like telling someone who has had a bad day to 'get over it', it does not work, and can make the situation worse because the depressed person will almost definetly feel as though noone is listening and that they are more lonely than before they tried to talk about it.

I often tell people on TSR to man up.
More often than not the people on TSR aren't depressed. They have had a bad day, or did bad on one exam, or havent 'been on a night out for a week so i must be depressed' .
It gets annoying reading constant depressions stories when the kids don't even know what real depression is.
Problem is everyone seems to think they've got depression rather than accepting the fa ct that they're just having a bad few days/weeks/whatever. Real depression is a serious, potentially fatal, disorder. What most people think they have is not.

Also, I don't care if you've had it diagnosed either. As it's not objective, the psychiatrist/psychologist only has what you tell them to work with, so they'll be quicker to diagnose it to a) limit potential damage and b) make more money. So basically, man up.
Reply 8
Barely anyone has depression. ..being emo. != being depressed
One white teen kills herself the whole country weeps. Not second glance when thousands of children die in Africa every day due to curable diseases.

No real point I'm trying to make, just thought I'd get that out there.
Reply 10
yeah but like 75% of all people who post here are apparently "depressed" or "autisitic" or something. Most people who claim to be depressed are just being melodramatic.

It reaches a point where you just don't care, i mean what are you meant to say?

I don't agree with suicide, i don't think it's ever acceptable and i will tell people that, if said person then tops themselves then that wasn't my fault.
Reply 11
Original post by Sabertooth
I can tell you right now, mp, more people die from cancer than suicide per year. Just thought I'd get that out the way before it ruins what should be a good thread.

I haven't seen that documentary, keep meaning to watch it.

yeah I don't know where I got that (incorrect) piece of information from. It is unlike me to post something that is incorrect, however I think my brain may have got the other two facts muddled up and came up with a third. Thanks for pointing it out, I've edited the OP.

:smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymous
Post number five is not the thread starter, I'm someone different, i don't know why it says that

it doesn't say that!
Reply 13
Original post by IFondledAGibbon
One white teen kills herself the whole country weeps. Not second glance when thousands of children die in Africa every day due to curable diseases.

No real point I'm trying to make, just thought I'd get that out there.

first of all race is independant of suicide and people will feel the same if he/she was white/black.

Secondly, it is much easier for you or me to do something about someone who is depressed than the whole of Africa's problems, which, by the way, the public send millions of pounds per year over there (just from this country).
Reply 14
Original post by Drumzilla
yeah but like 75% of all people who post here are apparently "depressed" or "autisitic" or something. Most people who claim to be depressed are just being melodramatic.

I don't agree with suicide, i don't think it's ever acceptable and i will tell people that, if said person then tops themselves then that wasn't my fault.

There is nothing wrong with telling people that you don't think suicide is acceptable, but trolling and not listening etc may have done more harm than good and should the person then do it, then I won't support any "this wasn't may fault" because a troll has anon.

also, you are not meant to say anything in particular, there is not script, however if the only thing someone has to say is negative, then don't say it.
Reply 15

I don't agree with suicide, i don't think it's ever acceptable and i will tell people that, if said person then tops themselves then that wasn't my fault

I here what your saying. A few of my friends have told me they've tried to kill themselves but i just can't accept that. Alot of people crave attention and want to act as if their life is so special and their the only ones who have it "Bad"
Teenagers these days don't know what "Bad" is, what about all those starving kids in Africa and India - do they just give up and kill themselves when they feel "Depressed"?
Secondly, it is much easier for you or me to do something about someone who is depressed than the whole of Africa's problems, which, by the way, the public send millions of pounds per year over there (just from this country).

Just because it's easier doesn't mean it's right. Yes sucide is bad, yes we should aim to prevent it. However, the problems in Africa and other places rank so much higher, places where children can't even get a clean drink of water. The millions we give either isn't enough, or it's not being used in the right way. We need to do more.
Reply 17
Original post by IFondledAGibbon
Just because it's easier doesn't mean it's right. Yes sucide is bad, yes we should aim to prevent it. However, the problems in Africa and other places rank so much higher, places where children can't even get a clean drink of water. The millions we give either isn't enough, or it's not being used in the right way. We need to do more.

I wion't be sending more out there until the 'system' changes, because it isn't that the countless billions that has gone out there isn't enough, it is that the people incharge are greedy.

Anyway, it is easier to help people with depression, and it is right to help them.
I wion't be sending more out there until the 'system' changes, because it isn't that the countless billions that has gone out there isn't enough, it is that the people incharge are greedy.

Anyway, it is easier to help people with depression, and it is right to help them.

Easier because it's easier for you. There are charities that avoid giving money to governments, most do infact.
Reply 19
Internet anonymity and herd mentality can make people do horrible things. You can't even see the people making these threads or talking about their problems here, it's very impersonal. It's a breeding ground for vicious and insensitive behavior, the sort these people would hopefully never dream of doing if it was face-to-face. This doesn't mix well people seeing the anonymous environment as a good way of getting problems off of their chest, since no-one they know has to suffer with worry for it. I haven't told my family or all but two of my friends when I was diagnosed with depression recently, after years of dealing with that **** - I don't think I could tell them, it would be a horrible thing to watch. Even with trolls about it's better to give this sort of issue the benefit of the doubt. It's better to feed a thousand trolls than tip one person closer to the edge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending