The Student Room Group

Why did you start smoking?

I'm not a smoker myself and do not have anything against anyone who smokes but (if you don't mind me asking :smile:) when and why did you start smoking? Do you want to quit? How long did it take you to become addicted? My sudden interest into this question is due to an assignment i have been given investigating the tobacco industry.

I have many friends (and a cousin) who have suddenly decided to take up smoking and they always seem to say its relaxing or they wanted to give it try, what is your response to this and my previous questions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
I started smoking because my boyfriend did. But I don't smoke regularly or have cravings or anything.
I'm not a regular smoker so I can't contribute anything towards this thread but I do find it quite an interesting point.

Plenty of my smoker friends complain about how they want to quit - why on earth did you start in the first place, if you want to hate it so much.

I smoke every now and then because I find it relaxing but I am in no way addicted. (I can go months and months without a cigarette and I won't feel any cravings at all) :dontknow: perhaps I have some sort of addiction resistance..
Reply 4
I hate peoples who smokes in a place there are people who dont smoke because they are hurting non smokers by forcing the non smokers to passive smoke.
TO get high.

Original post by Luffy.
I hate peoples who smokes in a place there are people who dont smoke because they are hurting non smokers by forcing the non smokers to passive smoke.

The only place that happens is at their own homes...
Reply 6
Original post by Luffy.

That wasn't the question, stop posting pointless answers.
Reply 7
I cant remember why I started tbh.However, over 20 years later I quit!.I'd had enough of it by then, plus I resented paying an arm and a leg for ciggies.Its been 6 months since I quit and I've never felt better...........even if I am a little larger than before.
Reply 8
Original post by mikeyd85
TO get high.

The only place that happens is at their own homes...

No in my country they smokes on the road and every where
Reply 9
I LOVEEEE DA GANJAAAA :cool::wink::biggrin::o:p:frown::smile::colone::colondollar::colone::colone::colone::colone::colone::colone:
Reply 10
Original post by a_sperl
That wasn't the question, stop posting pointless answers.

Yeah I know that but s pointless answer like this may stop some one who hurts others by smoking in a place that have non smokers
Original post by Luffy.
No in my country they smokes on the road and every where

What? Outside? You're having a giraffe. Second hand smoke outside is basically nothing but the occasional smell.
Started out socially (a lot of my mates smoke) just over a year ago, and am now a regular smoker, although I don't smoke more than five a day. I do want to quit, but everytime I try I just fail haha, but I am trying! :h:
started smoking when I drank because I did (and still do) enjoy it.

then I started buying cigarettes when I went out.

then I started to smoke the cigarettes I'd bought for going out when I was sober

then I started buying cigarettes regularly.
Reply 14
I only smoke cigars when I'm in the right environment and on special occasions. Cigars are yummy.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
Originally started smoking when got into weed and drinking with some friends, could say it was 'peer pressure' but I wanted to, might as well try it.

Nowadays only smoke when I drink or just get really annoyed and frustrated so just want something to take the edge off.
Reply 16
Original post by mikeyd85
What? Outside? You're having a giraffe. Second hand smoke outside is basically nothing but the occasional smell.

I dont understand what you are saying
Reply 17
Started smoking at college. I wasn't peer pressured, just interested as to what they were like. I smoked for four years about 20 a day. I then fell ill with some measly cold and decided to take advantage of the 'not wanting to smoke' feeling and now I don't smoke anymore.

As a smoker you don't realise how bad you smell until you stop and are in a smokers presence. They reek!
When I was 14 and my parents were divorcing, my friend gave me one because I was stressed out, it worked so well I just kept smoking.
I'm not addicted though, I never smoke at home which means often going 2-3 weeks without one. Smoke at work because it's the only way to get a break, chain smoke during revision for uni exams because it's something to do other than revision!
I smoke Marlboro silvers though, which have half the nicotine, tar and carbon monoxide of 'normal' cigarettes, I definitely recommend these to anyone trying to cut down. Whenever I have a normal one now, I get all dizzy from a nicotine rush! They're yummy though :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by jamieig33
As a smoker you don't realise how bad you smell until you stop and are in a smokers presence. They reek!

I don't really mind other people smelling of smoke, but the fact that it clings to YOUR clothes as well...urgh. It's such a strong smell and really hard to get out.

Quick Reply

Latest