The Student Room Group

Delaying a period on the pill (microgynon)

Hey, I'm on microgynon, due to stop taking it for the month tomorrow and start the next pack next Weds... but I really can not have a period in the next few days (obvious reasons).

If I continue taking the pill, ie start next month's pack straight away.. do I basically just delay my period?

I'm not sure if I'm meant to just continue taking the next pack like normal and then finish it, or if I should have a week's break once the next few day's are over (so I'll have started the next pack's pills, but then stop for the week, then continue till it's over).

Help?
I'm on that and yes you can delay your period. You just start the next months pack straight after this months, take them like normal and finish it. Then when you finish that month you have you 7 day break like normal.
Reply 2
Original post by Mochrie_Rules
I'm on that and yes you can delay your period. You just start the next months pack straight after this months, take them like normal and finish it. Then when you finish that month you have you 7 day break like normal.

That's what I thought, but then I read this:

If you want to delay a period
You can delay your period if you start your next pack of MICROGYNON 30
immediately after finishing your current pack. You can continue with this pack for
as long as you wish, until the pack is empty. When you wish your period to begin
again, just stop tablet taking.
While using the second pack, you may have some
breakthrough bleeding or spotting on tablet-taking days. Start your following pack
after the usual 7 day tablet-free break.

from http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/consumers/cmi/m/microgynon30.pdf

I still want my period, just a few days later. So do I just stop taking the pill on, say Monday, then resume a week later... until the pack is finished? Then I'll be finishing the whole 3 month course the same time I would have been ordinarily. Or do I do what you said?

Why is this so confusing? :facepalm:
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
That's what I thought, but then I read this:

from http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/consumers/cmi/m/microgynon30.pdf

I still want my period, just a few days later. So do I just stop taking the pill on, say Monday, then resume a week later... until the pack is finished? Then I'll be finishing the whole 3 month course the same time I would have been ordinarily. Or do I do what you said?

Why is this so confusing? :facepalm:

You need to make sure that you never take less than 21 days in a row before you take a break and never have a break longer than 7 days. If you don't follow this rule you might not be protected.

So if you definitely want a break (rather than just running two strips back to back without a break) leave the 14 tablets left from the strip that you started before your break as spares and start a new strip after your break. That way you know you've had 21 tablets in a row before you have another break. Does that make sense?
Reply 4
Original post by *Joanna*
You need to make sure that you never take less than 21 days in a row before you take a break and never have a break longer than 7 days. If you don't follow this rule you might not be protected.

So if you definitely want a break (rather than just running two strips back to back without a break) leave the 14 tablets left from the strip that you started before your break as spares and start a new strip after your break. That way you know you've had 21 tablets in a row before you have another break. Does that make sense?

I think so.. but I don't have 14 tablets left from this strip.. it finishes today (supposed to break tomorrow). As I've taken 21 as of today, what I think I'm meant to do is just start my new pack tomorrow, then take the break on Monday... I'll have 16 left then when I come back from the break. In that 2 week period I'll go to the doctors and get a new box, then start that from scratch and disregard what I have left.

Or.. won't that mean I take the pill for like 5 weeks for that to work? Aaahh, so confused!
Reply 5
**** it, is it easier to just take 2 packs back to back then?
Reply 6
You may as well just take 2 packs back to back, unless theres an event that would coencide with when you finish the 2 packs that you don't want to be on for!
Reply 7
My girlfriend just runs 2 packs back to back. She doesn't like doing it but sometimes decides she has 'no other choice'
I'm not on any birthday control, but my period is due soon, is it possible to prevent it from coming if I start taking microgynon now?
Birth control
Am not on any birth control but my period is due soon, can I take this pill to stop it from coming?
Reply 11
Original post by appleapple123
Am not on any birth control but my period is due soon, can I take this pill to stop it from coming?

It depends how soon, but probably not. You can only delay your period if you're already using the pill (and it doesn't always work).

There is a tablet that you can take, though. It isn't birth control so will have no contraceptive effect. It's called norethisterone and you need to get it on prescription.

Posted from TSR Mobile
OK thank u
Reply 13
Hey if I haven't been taking my microgynon 30 for a couple of months but I'm due on my period soon can I still take the pill to delay my period due in 2 day xx
Reply 14
Original post by Mimi xxx
Hey if I haven't been taking my microgynon 30 for a couple of months but I'm due on my period soon can I still take the pill to delay my period due in 2 day xx

If it's due in two days you don't have enough time for this to work
Reply 15
If my period is due in little over 2 weeks and I start taking microgynon now, will it prevent my period until I finish the first 21 days worth of tablets?
Reply 16
Hi guys little help please. I have taken an extra weeks worth of pills so I have taken 28 altogether instead of 21. Is it alright to take the 7 day break now or will this Mean I'm not protected?

Thanks
Reply 17
Original post by Mel1994
Hi guys little help please. I have taken an extra weeks worth of pills so I have taken 28 altogether instead of 21. Is it alright to take the 7 day break now or will this Mean I'm not protected?

Thanks

You can have a break now. You must start your next pack on time, and you must then take a further 21 pills (or more) to be protected. You cannot just take the rest of the part used pack and have another break.
I took one pack and then left it two days and started another pack in order to shift my period onto another day. Am I still protected on this month of the pill?

Quick Reply

Latest