The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

University of Sheffield Freshers Week/ Intro Week 2012

Hi all.

I'm Harry and I'm the Intro Week coordinator for our events in September 2012.

It is a daunting experience moving to a place you are not familiar with so if you have any questions at all about your first few weeks of uni in September I'd be happy to answer them.

I am working alongside 'Discovery Week Tom' (also on The Student Room) who will be organising the university's Discovery Week which welcomes local/commuter and international students on the previous week.

Best of luck with A-levels,

Harry

Your email has been removed for privacy reasons - if you wish to exchange contact details, please use the Private Messaging system.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This might be a silly question, but when actually is moving in week in September? I know when my course starts, just not when freshers week (etc) is. Thanks :smile:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by tish*tash
This might be a silly question, but when actually is moving in week in September? I know when my course starts, just not when freshers week (etc) is. Thanks :smile:

Hi there.

If you are staying in most accommodation you will be moving in over 'Intro Week' weekend which is Saturday 15th and Sunday 16th September.

There will be lots to do during Intro Week such as registration and exploring the campus. ng during the following week and most courses will start lectures the following week (what we call week 1).

When your offer becomes unconditional you will receive a welcome pack telling you all this information.

Have a good summer and we look forward to welcoming you in September,

Harry
Reply 3
When is freshens ball, and I am too old (I'm 36) lol x

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Haha no you're not too old to get involved with anything at the university!

I see that you're a local student and if you're interested in meeting more local students I suggest you get involved with Discovery Week which is aimed at local/commuter and international students. We have a whole programme of events that is currently being arranged and this will enable you to meet some of the 250 other new local students that start at Sheffield every year.

'Discovery Week Tom' is the Discovery Week coordinator and is active on the student room and will be happy to answer any questions you have.

I'm having a meeting with the union tomorrow who are currently organising the Freshers' Ball so I will know more information closer to the time and I'm sure it will be very well publicised.

I'm sure that more than answers your question. Harry x
Reply 5
Hi
do you know what bands playing during freshers?
Hi,

I had a meeting with the Students' Union yesterday and they can't confirm anything at the moment.

Any bands/acts that play will be well publicised probably from August onwards so just check out the website then.
Reply 7
Original post by Intro Week 2012
Haha no you're not too old to get involved with anything at the university!

I see that you're a local student and if you're interested in meeting more local students I suggest you get involved with Discovery Week which is aimed at local/commuter and international students. We have a whole programme of events that is currently being arranged and this will enable you to meet some of the 250 other new local students that start at Sheffield every year.

'Discovery Week Tom' is the Discovery Week coordinator and is active on the student room and will be happy to answer any questions you have.

I'm having a meeting with the union tomorrow who are currently organising the Freshers' Ball so I will know more information closer to the time and I'm sure it will be very well publicised.

I'm sure that more than answers your question. Harry x

Thanks, thats great cos I really want to go and thanks for the info about discovery week, it would be great to get to know some more local students :smile:
Hi Harry,

Expanding on the above two posts, do we get given a specific date to move in i.e saturday or sunday? or can we turn up when we want?
I hold an unconditional offer and have applied for endcliffe ensuite but yet to recieve official joining instructions.

Also, do you know how the flats are allocated, do you get mixed or single? I've applied for mixed but i've heard a lot of endcliffe is single sex on the floors but mixed blocks.

Cheers,
Sam
Reply 9
"When your offer becomes unconditional you will receive a welcome pack telling you all this information."

Hello, I just read what I've quoted. I'm on a gap year and so have an unconditional offer; but haven't recieved a welcome pack. Do you know when I would get one or am I jumping the gun far too early haha?

Thank you!
Original post by luae

Original post by Borntofly123

This is the way I think that it works; it is what happened last year anyway:

The contract starts on the day that you pick to move in on. This is either the Sat (15/9) or the Sun (16/9) before freshers/intro week.

You can move in later if you want, but you pick a time slot on one of these days to control for the number of cars and people moving around the accommodation.

You can also move in the week before, if you have particular circumstances.
Original post by donotworry
"When your offer becomes unconditional you will receive a welcome pack telling you all this information."

Hello, I just read what I've quoted. I'm on a gap year and so have an unconditional offer; but haven't recieved a welcome pack. Do you know when I would get one or am I jumping the gun far too early haha?

Thank you!

Same here donotworry. I've got the accommodation booklet, but no further information. (and i have an unconditional offer)
Original post by ohdrama
same here!
i think last year unconditional offer holders received further information sometime at the end of july... i'm not quite sure, but that's what i remember from reading last year's threads :tongue:

Thanks ohdrama!
What department of engineering does Sheffield excel in?

Reply 14
Original post by ohdrama
same here!
i think last year unconditional offer holders received further information sometime at the end of july... i'm not quite sure, but that's what i remember from reading last year's threads :tongue:

I'm the same! I was assuming that it would come around the same time as accommodation confirmation, i.e. sometime in July? hope so, anyway!:tongue:
Reply 15
Hello!

I was reading that there is bedding available when you pick up your key. I was just wondering if anybody knows the price for this. :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my Nexus S 4G
Original post by Borntofly123
Hi Harry,

Expanding on the above two posts, do we get given a specific date to move in i.e saturday or sunday? or can we turn up when we want?
I hold an unconditional offer and have applied for endcliffe ensuite but yet to recieve official joining instructions.

Also, do you know how the flats are allocated, do you get mixed or single? I've applied for mixed but i've heard a lot of endcliffe is single sex on the floors but mixed blocks.

Cheers,
Sam

When I moved in two years ago I had to book a day and time to move in.
What exactly happens during freshers week? I'm so confused?
Reply 18
When will accommodation be allocated for students who have already firmed an unconditional offer?

Mainly its a week of chilling and getting to know your surroundings. You'll have to register at the university and you'll probably have some introductory activities / lectures in your department. The rest is just free time to let you settle in.

It can seem a big and daunting thing moving to uni but Christmas is always worse when the freedom you have at uni is limited at home. That's what I found anyway :-)

Using the TSR App - Please excuse any typos :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending