The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by py0alb
Thats only because he went to court

You're missing the point either way
Reply 21
I got flashed while going through an amber light...

... what is it with drunks and exposing themselves?
Reply 22
Original post by Lamps08
You're missing the point either way

What point?
Reply 23
Original post by py0alb
What point?

The point that someone had been fined for going through a red light for an ambulance. Your point about didn't really add any significance now did it?
Reply 24
Original post by Lamps08
The point that someone had been fined for going through a red light for an ambulance. Your point about didn't really add any significance now did it?

Well obviously you shouldn't get fined as long as you don't do it recklessly. But I would still take the chance if the only alternative was sitting there like a dickhead holding up an ambulance with a dying bloke inside.
Original post by py0alb
I'd still do it, a £60 fine is a price worth paying for potentially saving someone's life.

Really? Would you pay £60 per person to save everyone in the world who is going to die?
Reply 26
Original post by manchesterunited15
Really? Would you pay £60 per person to save everyone in the world who is going to die?

Thats a bit of a false analogy, is it not?
Original post by py0alb
Thats a bit of a false analogy, is it not?

Well, if you would do it once, why is that man's life worth more than the millions who die every day in poorer countries?
I was told this on my driving lesson a few years ago, might even be from my theory but I still remember it.

If the lights have been green a while then be prepared for them to change soon.
Reply 29

According to ROG a driving instructor (abiest quite a rude one) said that most of the time they will let you off the fine. But I and another user have shown that you won't get off 100% of the time, depending on how the police are. You don't know whose in the ambulance, could be your mom or friends for what you know. Personally I've let emergency services out before... Never got told off but there was no cameras to flash me either.
Reply 30

This
Reply 31
Well, if you would do it once, why is that man's life worth more than the millions who die every day in poorer countries?

Because one situation is up to me to move my car, and the other situation is up to everyone. I cannot personally solve all the worlds problems. I can engage first gear and carefully move my car out of the way.
Reply 32
Original post by marcusfox
You are wrong.

Mark Freeman from Doncaster was at traffic lights on red when he saw an ambulance approaching from behind with blues and twos. Being a considerate driver he moved forward to give the ambulance a clear route through, and was snapped by the red-light camera. South Yorkshire Camera Partnership and local magistrates were not impressed with his reason for crossing the line and he was given £60 fine, 3 points and lost £300 in wages while attending court.

http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/news/doncaster-news/motorist-s-anger-at-barmy-road-laws-1-497020

He got bad advice simple as that
But last week he was convinced to admit the offence after being advised it would be almost impossible for him to win his case and could end up facing huge legal fees.
Original post by py0alb
Because one situation is up to me to move my car, and the other situation is up to everyone. I cannot personally solve all the worlds problems. I can engage first gear and carefully move my car out of the way.

You can also give £60 to a charity that will use it to save more than one person's life.
This whole "emergency vehicle at traffic lights" debate is the sole reason I hate red light cameras; they are indiscriminate. If a police car was behind you at lights, and an ambulance on a shout appeared, I would be very, very shocked if the policeman ticketed you for edging forward to let the ambulance out. A camera, on the other hand, has no common sense.

I have never seen any case in the press where a driver was convicted for just edging forward a little. I appreciate that a case has been cited earlier, but there are no pictures and it is impossible to tell what exact action that gentleman took. He also went guilty rather than fighting. In the one case I can remember, pictures clearly showed that once the driver let the ambulance through, he took it upon himself to cross the junction as well. In that case, he deserved his fine and points.
Original post by ROG.
He got bad advice simple as that

He got realistic advice.
Reply 36
Original post by InnerTemple
He got realistic advice.

Really !!

then how come all the other drivers did not get prosecuted?

Makes me think there was something more to his case than simply crawling over the line to let a blue lighter through
Reply 37
Going through a red light is categorised as an 'absolute offence'.

That means that it only has to be proved that the act was committed in order for the Court to register a conviction.

There is no defence, not even a blue light. The correct action is to remain stationary and let the emergency vehicle manoeuvre.
I may sound harsh but those talking about something that is not on the samewave length as the topic, and you please no longer post in thread. Create another thread about stopping at a traffic light and allowing a blue lighter to go through and get flashed.

The reason why i created this thread was to get advice on the issue itself. It's going off topic.

thanks
Reply 39
Original post by simeon
The correct action is to remain stationary and let the emergency vehicle manoeuvre.

What if it cannot ?

Are you seriously going to put anothers life at risk when it is SAFE to get out of the way ?

Latest

Trending

Trending