The Student Room Group

Why do I sound like a ******* when I talk?

I've just listened back to myself on a recording and I sound like an utter *******. I'm sort of developing a bit of a lisp and I sound a bit poofy. It's horrible!!!!

I hate it! Can I stop it?

Spoiler

PS... The starred word is s.p.a.s.t.i.c (I didn't realise that was a swear word??)
Reply 1
I know exactly what you mean... maybe it's not as annoying to other people as yourself? I guess most people are overly critical of themselves about things that other people don't bat an eyelid about...
I too used to think that my voice was putting people off.

It turned out that they didn't mind it a bit and were only appalled at my casual use of pejorative epithets. Who'd have thought it, though?
I sound like I have a blocked nose all the time , its really annoying .
Reply 4
I sound like a poofy pervert though. I tend to stretch out the end of words, and it's just eugh. I can't really tell what it is but it's so horrible!
Reply 5
I honestly really dislike my recorded or "real" voice. My inside voice always sounded so bassy and crisp :frown:
I can relate to this, I really used to hate my voice. I think it's gotten better recently, or at least it doesn't bother me as much. Or maybe it's because I haven't heard a recording of myself for years.

So utterly embarrassing in French/Spanish classes in lower school when they'd record you saying something and then play it back to the whole class. The horror. My voice sounds so babyish and wrong when it's recorded :frown:
Reply 7
Just practice trying to speak in the voice you'd prefer (record yourself), and keep doing it till it becomes normal I guess. I managed to ditch my Brummy accent that way :biggrin:
Well all your friends will be used to it anyway, so it won't sound as strange to them. I think we hate the sounds of our voices because we subconciously tailor it to how we want it to sound over the years, which is obviously distorted, so when we hear the 'real' sound we get all pissed off :lol:
Haha i know what you mean, in my head i have a deep, manly voice but when i hear myself i sound like a manly girl. True story.
I really hate my recorded voice too, I think that it sounds a much higher pitch and a blocked nose too, I prefer my voice that I hear not the the recorded voice, I get really self concious about my voice when hear a recording of me speaking

I will try to avoid talking if someone is filming for an event i.e. wedding, b'day etc etc
Original post by Runninground
I've just listened back to myself on a recording and I sound like an utter *******. I'm sort of developing a bit of a lisp and I sound a bit poofy. It's horrible!!!!

I hate it! Can I stop it?

Spoiler

PS... The starred word is s.p.a.s.t.i.c (I didn't realise that was a swear word??)

I know how you feel. I sound like an high pitch kid when I am actually 18.
There is lots of vocal exercises to help you though. I hope this helped :smile:
Lol same. My S sounds too sharp
My real voice is a much higher pitch and comes out so breathy I want to thump myself.

Do you find that in the mirror, you look a lot better than in pictures? Cause that's me, and it's so sad, like why can't I photograph well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending