The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by alicaw
Hi Ciaran,
Yea I think I remember you! I was the girl from dublin :smile: I heard back today that I'm on the waiting list. But we have to wait about 2 weeks to find out where exactly on it we are.
Hope I'm not too far down the list :wink:

I also found out I'm on the waiting list! That's likely to keep us uncertain for the rest of the summer though, isn't it?
Yeah, I remember you. I was the fella from Northern Ireland. I hope u both get it, suppose it depends on who accepts their place
Reply 582
Hi,
Yea its just more waiting I guess. Or if people don't accept it by May 30th then we might move a bit. Hopefully they can tell us what number we are sooner rather than later.

Yea I remember you Ciaran! Congrads on getting a place!!
Reply 583
hi girls,
I've been accepted onto the course too! v excited!! i've just asked to join the facebook group you made. I'm moving to Reading too, it would be great if we could all meet and find out who is planning on finding a place there etc.. I did my psychology degree at Reading so know the area well! I emailed Lesley Heaton last week about an open day and she said they have one for us after term ends in July so only about 2 months before the course!
congrats to you all, looking forward to meeting you all soon :smile:
Azzy Shafie
Reply 584
hello girls,
I've been accepted onto the course too! v excited!! i've just asked to join the facebook group you made. I'm moving to Reading too, it would be great if we could all meet and find out who is planning on finding a place there etc.. I did my psychology degree at Reading so know the area well! I emailed Lesley Heaton about an open day and she said they have one for us after term ends in July so only about 2 months before the course!
congrats to you all, looking forward to meeting you all soon :smile:
Azzy

Original post by Fiona Clark
Hi Daisy, Kelsey & Naomi,

Congratulations on getting onto the MSc course at Reading, I have also accepted a place! Very excited!!

Daisy - I think we met at our interview and then got the bus back to the train station together????

I won't be moving to Reading as should be able to commute from where I live in Hampshire by train. Good luck with the accommodation search though.

Has anyone applied for the NHS Bursary yet? I need to get on and do that....

Fiona x
Reply 585
Hi!

I received an email today saying that a place has come up for me in Reading, I was on the waiting list!

I have accepted it now, so excited after thinking I'd missed out this year. :smile:
Hello everyone!

I'm currently at Uni doing a degree in English and I'm trying really hard to get work experience or volunteering that would apply to Speech and Language Therapy and that I can use for my application, but I'm finding it really tricky. I was wondering if any of you have suggestions for where to find experience? I've got 3 days with a SALT at a clinic and a one day info session in a bigger hospital but that's it.
If you can give me ANY ideas I would be so so grateful, thanks :smile:
Reply 587
Speech therapy assistant - I found my job on nhs jobs, healthcare assistant in many different settings, any kind of work with anyone with learning disabilities or stroke or something related is good - volunteering in this sector is a good idea too and there's lots of it! Email speech therapists and ask to shadow - u can find them online. ABA or VB tutoring is also a great idea, I used to get £10 an hour as a student. A TA in a special school. Hope this helps!
Reply 588
Original post by Charlotte_0
Hello everyone!

I'm currently at Uni doing a degree in English and I'm trying really hard to get work experience or volunteering that would apply to Speech and Language Therapy and that I can use for my application, but I'm finding it really tricky. I was wondering if any of you have suggestions for where to find experience? I've got 3 days with a SALT at a clinic and a one day info session in a bigger hospital but that's it.
If you can give me ANY ideas I would be so so grateful, thanks :smile:

Speech therapy assistant - I found my job on nhs jobs, healthcare assistant in many different settings, any kind of work with anyone with learning disabilities or stroke or something related is good - volunteering in this sector is a good idea too and there's lots of it! Email speech therapists and ask to shadow - u can find them online. ABA or VB tutoring is also a great idea, I used to get £10 an hour as a student. A TA in a special school. Hope this helps!
Hi, I have an interview at Greenwich this Sept and was wondering if you could offer any helpful tips or advice as I am feeling very nervous about the whole process! Thank you!
Original post by Karriemcc05
Hi, I have an interview at Greenwich this Sept and was wondering if you could offer any helpful tips or advice as I am feeling very nervous about the whole process! Thank you!

Hi TSR user Laice has created this post http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_for_Postgrad_SLT which is really helpful. There's info on Greenwich's interview day. If you have any specific questions not answered in Laice's post then DM me and I will be happy to answer. Don't worry they are lovely at Greenwich. 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you so much. That has been very helpful :smile:
Original post by azzy_s

Thanks so much for your help :smile:. Since I sent this I got volunteering work with Chest, Heart and Stroke as a communication partner with stroke patients, as well as a month with a private SLT. YAY!

:biggrin:Thanks again!!
Hi all, I am applying to City this year for the PGDip and wondered if any of you could give me some insight into the application process? There isn't much on City's website apart from that it opens in October and to keep an eye on the website. How do references work, and is it a 500 word personal statement? Any advice would be great!
Reply 594
Original post by MrsTennant
Hi all, I am applying to City this year for the PGDip and wondered if any of you could give me some insight into the application process? There isn't much on City's website apart from that it opens in October and to keep an eye on the website. How do references work, and is it a 500 word personal statement? Any advice would be great!

You might want to check out the thread for 2015 entry there's a link on the first page to a recording of a talk from a lecturer at City about the application process!

I'm pretty sure City asked for a 750 word personal statement last year. They also asked for an "additional statement" where they asked three questions and gave you separate word limits to answer each of these. (From memory: 1. Why do you want to be a SLT? 2. Talk about an experience you've had with an individual with a communication impairment. 3. What challenges do you think a SLT faces?)

They ask you to provide contact information for your references and email them a form to complete. Alternatively they send you the form to ask your references to complete and send back. I think they also accept a traditional written reference by email if your referee doesn't want to fill out the form (which is longer than a typical reference).
Reply 595
Hello :smile:
Anyone that is applying to UCL, did you include your GCSE and A Level results? I presumed we had to, but all they seem to care about it degree results. I might be asking a really dim questions, sorry if so..

thanks, Hattie xxx
Hi, i have an interview UCL in january to do SLT, was woundering if anyone has been through the interview and give me some tips. thanx
Hello everyone!

Is anyone still waiting on a reply from UCL?

And has anyone had any sort of application process guidance from
CITY? As in, when interviews take place, etc.

Thank-you in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kreeepaalee
Hello everyone!

Is anyone still waiting on a reply from UCL?

And has anyone had any sort of application process guidance from
CITY? As in, when interviews take place, etc.

Thank-you in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile

not too sure about UCL!
But City application dates and the process guidance is all on the website :smile: including when you may hear back from them etc
Should be in Jan x
Thank-you so much! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest