The Student Room Group

TSR Muscle Building Society For Men V8

Scroll to see replies

Original post by trapking
Had to YouTube that, that's mad strength. Goals 😱

What are your short term and long term lifting goals @Smack ?

Short term goal is to figure out my deadlift issues and get my squat back to where it was. This will require me to regain strength and fix my form.

I don't really have any long term goals at the moment, other than I'd ideally like to hit new PBs and get bigger.
Short term goals i.e. Within 2018

- Hit a 70kg strict OHP for 3-5 reps. Current PB is 65kg for 2 at 75kg.

-Start squatting again but incooperate more functional training so split Squats + box jumps.

-Incooperate more yoga + bodyweight training (been doing this recently already).

-Increase my bench to around 110kg. I stopped benching because my current gym doesnt have safety pins on the bench so I cant risk pushing myself without a spotter (which is extremely annoying, might need to change gyms tbh).

Long term goals:

Get more efficient at functionality training i.e. L-sits, Static holds, hand stands etc. Plus yoga & structural work/mobility.

Put on more lean mass gradually and get my arms to almost 17s (currently nearly 16s). Currently cutting a few pounds nothing drastic then im going to lean bulk.

Decent arms for low body weight. I have never yoga’d, how didn’t you get into it? Classes of some kind?
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Yeah 3x12 ofc.

Like I've already mentioned, I'm bottom heavy. As in I used to do 1000 calf raises and 100 squats a day type ****. My wingspan is like 6'4 so it affects my lifts. Still not an excuse, but i'm not balanced for upper body. People usually don't believe I'm 90kg.

I've benched 90 a few times. Just not recently.

I don’t think it’s necessarily from having previously done mad reps, some of us just progress in different areas more easily with the conventional ways of training, then have to find what works for the bits that lag.

My squat flew initially, and my press to an extent, bench took a long time to get anywhere.

Original post by JoshNilsson
If I had the funding I would 100% do strongman but I just can’t afford it

Where do you live?
Original post by Gone Revising II
Decent arms for low body weight. I have never yoga’d, how didn’t you get into it? Classes of some kind?

Thanks.

I didn't join any classes. I just looked up yoga movements on YouTube and started practising in my room (Elliot Hulse inspiration) :lol:

Some movements are extremely difficult and at the beginning you'll shake like crazy (that's when you low key realise just how strong gymnasts are, it requires a crazy amount of stabilisation). It's so good for the body though like I feel much better when I do it, highly recommended.
Where do you live?

Live in Luton, just north of London :smile:
Original post by JoshNilsson
Live in Luton, just north of London :smile:

Have a google for strongman gym north london, get some emails/telephone calls out and go and have a play with kit.

Genesis gym I have heard of and they have kit, there are other also that may be closer.

Thanks.

I didn't join any classes. I just looked up yoga movements on YouTube and started practising in my room (Elliot Hulse inspiration) :lol:

Some movements are extremely difficult and at the beginning you'll shake like crazy (that's when you low key realise just how strong gymnasts are, it requires a crazy amount of stabilisation). It's so good for the body though like I feel much better when I do it, highly recommended.

I went through a period of watching Elliots stuff, he went quiet for a while though and I haven't yet gotten back into his material. I'll have a google and see what;s about yoga-wise.

Original post by BKS
I don't really have lifting goals any more. I want to enjoy it and not get hurt though obviously would like my 100kg bench back though that's not far off and this time will likely be first time doing it whilst under 70kg so feels like a sort of achievement in its own right. I'm considering a bro bulk, I'm all back and legs with a bit of shoulders because I have always trained for strength plus I'm not big so have some fairly easy gains to be made. Though probably just to a bit over 70kg then cut back now a bit so I'm bigger but leaner. BW OHP and 180 (trap bar) deadlift have been my standing items of lifting goals but I don't chase them very hard.

I care much more about taekwondo now but annoyingly I don't have the time right now to put in the work needed to grade for 2nd degree but I'd like to do it around this time next year.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, get that bro bulk in! :smile: You can still push weight, just add more volume after.
Reply 7986

I've said it before and I'll say it again, get that bro bulk in! :smile: You can still push weight, just add more volume after.

I probably will do just that, once I've done with the programme I'm on now- I'm trailing it for someone so got to stick with it for now. Do something like one heavy compound, maybe something moving for fun then all volume with a bias towards pecs and arms

Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Amazing how life moves on eh mate.

I just want to get back at the gym to stop feeling fat lol. I don't have any real strength goals any more. Just wanna bro split the **** out of it and climb.

Yeah, if you told me five years ago I'd be doing taekwondo again and not too bothered about how much I bench then I'd not have believed you :lol:

I think the main reason I've kept lifting through injuries has been to keep muscle mass. I don't want to get fat and if I'm average/slim I feel too small.
On that note, then, anyone got recommendations for a ****arounditis programme that I can do 3 days a week? Only condition is no upper body compounds cos my wrist is ****ed. I can't bench more than 30kg without getting sharp pain.
On that note, then, anyone got recommendations for a ****arounditis programme that I can do 3 days a week? Only condition is no upper body compounds cos my wrist is ****ed. I can't bench more than 30kg without getting sharp pain.

What’s wrong with your wrist?
What’s wrong with your wrist?

Wrote about it a bit earlier - I've torn my TFCC
That’s cool, look forward to seeing you put in a performance in video form, it’s a bit far for me.

Ok the gear front I am currently in around the same mental position as I have been my whole training time, ‘maybe one day’. It’s odd though, the longer I leave it, the more I think that I won’t, but then i remind myself that societal views change and by the time we are forty everyone may be on for longevity.

I’ll get to me in good time, I’m working my way through everyone else a couple of posts at a time lol.

I didn’t realise that you had arthritis, how did it get diagnosed? Did it just come on one day symptom wise?

A big rower like yourself will surely get your deadlift back up there when you can get in regularly.

I have inflammatory arthritis in my left knee, plus OA in both knees and lumbar spine. Inflammatory arthritis came on one day whilst I awaited surgery for a torn meniscus. OA is a creeping thing
Wrote about it a bit earlier - I've torn my TFCC

Just had a google, difficult area to have injured. Do wrist wraps help at all? On three days you could do push, pull, legs. Do abs as and when and just see what excercises you can do that don’t hurt?

Swim, jog, cycle bro. Combined with squats if your wrists can cope. If not some 10+ rep set leg presses. Don't do leg extensions. So at least you can have dat booty ready for when your wrist is better
Original post by Angry cucumber
Swim, jog, cycle bro. Combined with squats if your wrists can cope. If not some 10+ rep set leg presses. Don't do leg extensions. So at least you can have dat booty ready for when your wrist is better

But can't I get fit without doing any hard work?

Yeah but what I'm tryna say is I want them juicy chest and arms brah. I can squat np and I'm gonna keep that up. I think deadlifts and things like that would be fine too, but I've never tried going super heavy on them. Is my life just gonna be billions of sets of curls and flies? Feelsbadman.

Just had a google, difficult area to have injured. Do wrist wraps help at all? On three days you could do push, pull, legs. Do abs as and when and just see what excercises you can do that don’t hurt?

Yeah. But at 1x/wk frequency the progress will be suuuper slow. I guess I'll just need to do some full body stuff with huge upper body accessory volume tbh.
Original post by Angry cucumber

I never used to get your hatred with leg extensions but did then a few weeks back and the machine my gym has is killer.
So much pressure on the inside of my knees, was in pain (bad pain) for a few days after

Never again

Yeah but what I'm tryna say is I want them juicy chest and arms brah. I can squat np and I'm gonna keep that up. I think deadlifts and things like that would be fine too, but I've never tried going super heavy on them. Is my life just gonna be billions of sets of curls and flies? Feelsbadman.

If you can do deadlifts, could you do rows as well?

And for chest and triceps, pec dec? Triceps pull downs? Pull-overs?

Yeah. But at 1x/wk frequency the progress will be suuuper slow. I guess I'll just need to do some full body stuff with huge upper body accessory volume tbh.

Juicy chest etc gonna be hard without the compounds. Flies are fluff imo, progressing on them etc is nigh on impossible at any kind of rate. Get big legs and by the time your wrist is fixed, it'll be bench o'clock
Original post by Smack
If you can do deadlifts, could you do rows as well?

And for chest and triceps, pec dec? Triceps pull downs? Pull-overs?

I can basically do anything that doesn't put extending or abducting pressure on my wrist. Forgot my gym has a pec deck! Might be the way to go~
My turn then.

Current Position: 95ishkg bodyweight at 5'10.5. Recent lifts and runs in blog lol

Shorter term:

Get my strength up for Birmingham's Strongest Man whilst continuing to lose bodyweight and running, it sounds mad and it is, but Birmingham's is a yearly commitment and the running is a promise I made myself for this year.

Timeline:

06/05/2018
I have the Birmingham 10k in a few weeks, which will of course be fine and the training for that is coming together for me to have a time that I'll be happy with [50minish].

01/07/2018
Black Country Half Marathon, depending on how the above goes, I'd hope to get below 2hrs [and ideally better].

04/08/2018
Birmingham's Strongest Man, Inters

Log 110kg [currently I can still clean this and working my way up with the presses, realistically unlikely to make the press but we'll see]
Deadlift 240kg [Again working my way back up, but I only got this to my knees last year at 109kg bodyweight lol]
Farmers Walk, 120kg [Can still do now, just a matter of getting faster and staying consistent]
Arm Over Arm Truck Pull [Inevitable that I can do this, only a matter of speed]
Atlas over Yoke 120kg [Working back up, 105kg still there and I'll know closer to the time, my deadlift routine that I am doing was great for building this last year and I expect at least a single]

Longer term:

Drop more weight and build a reasonable physique.
Run another marathon, ideally sub 4hrs [ran Cambridge Boundary Run Marathon 2014; 3:45 at 72kg bodyweight and Worcester Marathon 2015 4:30 at 94kg bodywieght]
Maybe get back on the powerlifting platform and put some numbers up.
Ok, I never post here anymore but I drop into my own log once a month or so...

Currently : dropped from 89kg to 75kg, mixture of eating less and running.

In the last few weeks in terms of lifting I've done a 160kg squat, 180kg deadlift and 100kg bench. All ~40kg down on my best at each lift...

Been running a lot. Did a half marathon in 1:52:40 last weekend. Looking at signing up for a full marathon in September. Potentially aiming for sub 4 but would be difficult as the marathon I like is hilly.

Also, going to drop to below 74kg and lift properly again this year. 180/120/200 whilst being able to run a marathon would be alright.

Quick Reply

Latest