The Student Room Group

Would it be weird for a girl to go to a pub alone in the evening...?

I hate sitting at home in the evenings. I've been thinking about going to a pub to have a drink while enjoying a book. Does anyone do this...? Would I just look weird...? Urgh, sounds sad but I hate feeling lonely and even though I'd be by myself, I'd at least feel a bit better being around other people.
Reply 1
I can't really answer your question but I've wondered the same thing, mostly because I really want to go to some open mic nights but none of my friends who live around here are into that sort of thing!
Nope. I've done it twice when noone else was free to go with me. It makes a change and you get talking to the other people there anyway. If you wait around for others you'll get nowhere and end up not doing anything
Reply 3
Perhaps a coffee shop would be more appropiate for reading...
Reply 4
I often go. Just sit in a quiet corner with a drink and have a read or get on with some work. I wouldn't recommend it on Friday and Saturday nights though. My local is far too noisy.
Reply 5
Original post by Fusion
Perhaps a coffee shop would be more appropiate for reading...

Yeah, I already do that in the daytime but there aren't really any late night coffee shops or something like that in my town...
depends on the kind of pub I suppose. I reckon if you're looking for a way to combine reading and other people there is another option though - a book club. I don't know if they exist outside of television, but thought I'd throw it out there.
Reply 7
Yes. In most pubs it would look weird.

Although I'd say most busy places and pubs in cities you'd be fine.
Reply 8
Original post by WyFy
I hate sitting at home in the evenings. I've been thinking about going to a pub to have a drink while enjoying a book. Does anyone do this...? Would I just look weird...? Urgh, sounds sad but I hate feeling lonely and even though I'd be by myself, I'd at least feel a bit better being around other people.

My ex used to do this. I found it odd, but then that's just me
Having worked in a pub, normally the only people who come in by themselves are old men, and I personally don't like sitting alone in pubs, even if I'm just waiting for someone. Can't you just go somewhere else in the daytime, like a cafe or library?
Reply 10
If I saw a girl in the corner of a pub reading a book having a drink of wine or something I wouldn't look twice. I'd either think "she's reading..oh well" or "she's waiting for someone and reading while she waits." Either way, it wouldn't draw my attention.

Do it!
Reply 11
Agree with odkfn above, I would never think twice about it. I've gone down my local, where I see a few vaguely familiar faces, and just had an evening on my own before. It's nice, a lot more comforting than if you'd just be sitting at home on your own. I would go for it, no big deal! :smile:
Used to work for spoons, and people of all sorts came in to drink alone - from lonely old drunkards to people working on their dissertation whilst having a pint in the corner. As long as you're not going to a busy sports pub or something, and you're aware that you may get weird drunk guys chatting you up (some do look for lone women to pounce on, but at spoons it didn't happen too often) then go for it. I sometimes go with a book and sit by the fire with a drink at our local, its really pleasant! :smile:
Reply 13
I personally don't see anything wrong with it. My brother goes out alone a lot these days (even though he's more friends than you can count) and says he has a much better time.

Be careful where you go though, you don't want to go to a pub that's blasting music and full of 'chavs'.
Reply 14
Original post by WyFy
I hate sitting at home in the evenings. I've been thinking about going to a pub to have a drink while enjoying a book. Does anyone do this...?

Hello,
Now this sounds wired in the pub you are reading books while having drinks... :confused:
Reply 15
Its a fine thing to, I do it all the time! I take a book and sit in a corner and I always end up making friends :tongue: once I was reading a book for coursework and ended up having a conversation with an academic who had spent his life researching the author (Charlotte Brontë) and ended up with some brilliant material for my essay. It's only weird if you sit there and don't try and make conversation with people :smile:
I suppose I wouldn't tend to look twice at someone sitting alone in a pub, each to their own. You'll might just look like you're waiting for someone, personally if I were to sit in a pub alone I'd always be thinking, 'I bet loads of people are wondering what I'm doing here alone' or 'I bet they're thinking I've been stood up'
But that's just me I'm paranoid hahaha!
I think it's a lot more 'normal' if you sit in a cafe or somewhere, I see loads of people eating out alone and going to the cinema alone is fine too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending