The Student Room Group

Mature student & totally confused

Hi guys. I'm Darren and i'm a 45 year old male currently working with learning disabilities (and have done for some 15 + years).

I'm looking to change career paths to physiotherapy and have found a course that suits in York.

Now being 45, married, two adult children and having to being financially independent i'm totally confused on whether I can fund going to University next year.

My wife currently earns around £12,000 a year, my son is on minimum wage and my daughter is out of work, so its imperative that I can help financially to the running costs of the household. We private rent.

I know this is all means tested but the finance side confuses me greatly and I need to ascertain whether I can help support my family for 3 years before going down the process too much, or whether I am going to hit a dead wall before I begin.

Can anyone give some light on to how much I "could" be entitled to, bursaries, student loans etc so I can see the best case scenario and whether this will be practical.

Many many thanks guys.
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi there,

Based on the information you have given , you would be entitled to the Reduced rate maintenance loan. The reason for this being that you are intending on studying an NHS funded course.

You would apply direct to NHS for all other funding . i.e bursary and Tuition fee.

There number is
NHS Bursary- England

General Enquiries

Telephone: 0845 358 6655
Fax No: 01253 774491

Thanks

:smile:
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply but that really doesn't help me understand what i'll get on a year by year basis to support my family. Would that mean i would get the monies based on 45 weeks a year.

I.e.

Outside london
Grant £1000
Bursary £4,395
Maintenance Loan £2324

Outside London£1,000Up to £4,395Up to £2,324

I would only get £7719 a year to live on ? If this is the case and the only monies i would get then i'm about £6000 short a year on current income and we are struggling making ends met on this already. Can i tap into any other monies, to borrow etc as being on placement, part time work would likely be out of the question.
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi there,

As this is an NHS funded course you would only be eligible for the reduced rate maintenance loan. This would be the maximum available to yourself from Student Finance England.

Your university may be able to advise of other funding opportunities.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending