The Student Room Group

Anyone who's had issues with low b12?

Since I had problems with eating I've had issues with my b12 levels. My doctor did bloods early this year and found I had abnormally low b12 levels, these were repeated about a month later and my b12 levels had risen on the low side of normal. Problem is I seem to have an issue with them dropping and rising constantly. Doctors don't seem that worried about it but I'm passing out a lot.

I passed out waiting for the bus to college one day and a butcher from the shop where the bus stop was called an ambulance, I've passed out at college before and seem to feel faint, weak and tired all the time. I also get a lot of headaches and barely feel hungry (but I must stress I do eat), I just don't have an appetite so will have to literally force myself to eat.

I was going to donate blood last month but I saw another doctor because I had one very shaky hand constantly (he said its a tremor) and he looked at my bloods and said he'd advise against donating as previous blood tests showed I have enlarged blood cells. Thyroid problems run in the family (my mother and father) but I've already had thyroid tests.

I had a piercing the other day (surface piercing) and I didn't think anything of my deficiency problem when having it done even though I have been feeling very faint and ill lately I just put it down to the hot weather but I felt a bit faint so put my head back on the chair next thing I knew my piercer and my mum were holding me I was slumped forward they'd had to hold my legs cos I was slipping. I've never fainted during a piercing before (I have many) so usually I'd think fainting during a piercing would have been shock but I'd been bleeding a strange consistency and my piercer said that usually happens in someone with iron problems so I'm starting to think I yet again have problems with it. Anyone else had similar problems? Im at my wits end and sick of feeling ill. Its getting to the point where feeling ill is starting to feel normal to me
Do you take any vitamin & Mineral supplements to boost your levels? What do you eat typically? What are your iron levels like.

I'd keep going back to the doctors and insist on a referral for more tests if you keep feeling ill.
Reply 2
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
Do you take any vitamin & Mineral supplements to boost your levels? What do you eat typically? What are your iron levels like.

I'd keep going back to the doctors and insist on a referral for more tests if you keep feeling ill.

Nope one doctor did say if it kept happening I'd have injections but not really been told about any supplements. I eat a lot of veg, salad, meat and toast the most this year my iron levels were classed as abnormally low then my last test doctor didnt seem worried but said it was on the lower end of normal
Reply 3
I'm going to have to try find something a bit cheaper in the form of supplements or something my doctors referred me for a blood test again though
You can get B12 tablets and injections on the NHS if you need them (giving these depends on your level though, and the doctor might say to try to increase the amount of B12 in your diet before trying these.)

Sources of B12 in food (if I remember correctly) are things like meat, chicken, fish, cheese, milk etc. Because of this in the UK most people with (diet-caused) B12 deficiency are vegan or eat few of these foods.
Reply 5
Original post by sadpanda123
You can get B12 tablets and injections on the NHS if you need them (giving these depends on your level though, and the doctor might say to try to increase the amount of B12 in your diet before trying these.)

Sources of B12 in food (if I remember correctly) are things like meat, chicken, fish, cheese, milk etc. Because of this in the UK most people with (diet-caused) B12 deficiency are vegan or eat few of these foods.

I drink so much milk and do eat a lot of cheese and meat & fish (I'm not a veg or vegan) so a doctor previous said my body might have a problem absorbing b12. I did have issues with my stomach acid and had to go for ultra sounds and be on medication to stop my body producing so much stomach acid a while back, I don't know if that would have affected it at all because these problems started after then
Original post by iJess
I drink so much milk and do eat a lot of cheese and meat & fish (I'm not a veg or vegan) so a doctor previous said my body might have a problem absorbing b12. I did have issues with my stomach acid and had to go for ultra sounds and be on medication to stop my body producing so much stomach acid a while back, I don't know if that would have affected it at all because these problems started after then

I'd go back to the GP and tell them all your symptoms and stuff again :smile: The doctor decided I can't absorb it properly so I need regular injections of B12 now (every few months). It would be worth it to stop your symptoms though (assuming they're caused by the low B12 level).
Reply 7
It was called lanzaprazole I think. My doctor didnt seem concerned today but then he seemed a bit dopey he just said your last b12 check was pretty normal and I had to tell him to look at my other results too. I told him about me fainting twice on saturday and he said well if you're worried I'll order you to have a blood test again. Told him about everything I'm feeling. The being tired constantly and feeling weak is what is affecting me the most.
Reply 8
I have Crohns Disease and a result of that is my body no longer produces B12. I need to have B12 injections every 3 months. I went years and years without them and I never felt any ill effects.

I suspect you have bigger problems than B12, so think about other things apart from that. Are you sleeping well? What about your Iron levels?
Reply 9
Original post by iJess
Since I had problems with eating I've had issues with my b12 levels. My doctor did bloods early this year and found I had abnormally low b12 levels, these were repeated about a month later and my b12 levels had risen on the low side of normal. Problem is I seem to have an issue with them dropping and rising constantly. Doctors don't seem that worried about it but I'm passing out a lot.

I passed out waiting for the bus to college one day and a butcher from the shop where the bus stop was called an ambulance, I've passed out at college before and seem to feel faint, weak and tired all the time. I also get a lot of headaches and barely feel hungry (but I must stress I do eat), I just don't have an appetite so will have to literally force myself to eat.

I was going to donate blood last month but I saw another doctor because I had one very shaky hand constantly (he said its a tremor) and he looked at my bloods and said he'd advise against donating as previous blood tests showed I have enlarged blood cells. Thyroid problems run in the family (my mother and father) but I've already had thyroid tests.

I had a piercing the other day (surface piercing) and I didn't think anything of my deficiency problem when having it done even though I have been feeling very faint and ill lately I just put it down to the hot weather but I felt a bit faint so put my head back on the chair next thing I knew my piercer and my mum were holding me I was slumped forward they'd had to hold my legs cos I was slipping. I've never fainted during a piercing before (I have many) so usually I'd think fainting during a piercing would have been shock but I'd been bleeding a strange consistency and my piercer said that usually happens in someone with iron problems so I'm starting to think I yet again have problems with it. Anyone else had similar problems? Im at my wits end and sick of feeling ill. Its getting to the point where feeling ill is starting to feel normal to me

Hi sorry to hear about all this. I can't offer any advice but can only say I am the same. I went to the doctors about feeling ill all the time - faint and weak, tired all the time. I had blood tests and they came back with low b12 levels. Doctors didn't seem bothered tbh. I bought some b12 supplements myself from Holland and Barrett, but I've been on them for about six months now and they haven't made a difference at all! So if that doesn't, I don't know what else will!

I completely sympathise with you being sick of feeling ill. I am fed up with it.
Oh, theres' lots of B12 in liver. Before they were able to come up with B12 tablets/injections, the treatment was to eat about 10 portions of liver everyday.
Reply 11
Original post by Izzyeviel
Oh, theres' lots of B12 in liver. Before they were able to come up with B12 tablets/injections, the treatment was to eat about 10 portions of liver everyday.

That's a lotta liver...
Reply 12
I'm no longer on it was a few months ago I was feeling sick all the time and had a lot of stomach pain. I had lansoprazole along with gaviscon and ultrasounds to check everywhere on my abdominal area, wasn't very nice never really got to the bottom of the problem it just went on it's own, I still get abdominal pain. I went to doctors a few weeks ago with it and just had urine tests but don't think anything showed up;

I have Crohns Disease and a result of that is my body no longer produces B12. I need to have B12 injections every 3 months. I went years and years without them and I never felt any ill effects.

I suspect you have bigger problems than B12, so think about other things apart from that. Are you sleeping well? What about your Iron levels?

Wow that sounds bad, I just drink lots and lots of milk my dad used to have to buy a new 2 pint bottle every few days so I can't think why my levels could be low. I didn't used to sleep well but lately I'm constantly tired but I sleep loads. On saturday night I slept at my boyfriends and slept from 10pm to 2 o clock in the afternoon the next day and went to bed early that night too. I can't really think of anything else that could be up

Original post by Airfairy
Hi sorry to hear about all this. I can't offer any advice but can only say I am the same. I went to the doctors about feeling ill all the time - faint and weak, tired all the time. I had blood tests and they came back with low b12 levels. Doctors didn't seem bothered tbh. I bought some b12 supplements myself from Holland and Barrett, but I've been on them for about six months now and they haven't made a difference at all! So if that doesn't, I don't know what else will!

I completely sympathise with you being sick of feeling ill. I am fed up with it.

Thank you, its so horrible isnt it :frown: I'm doing my A Levels in september so really want it sorted asap

I don't eat liver can't stand it lol but I eat a lot of other meat & fish as said :frown:
Original post by Airfairy

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminB12-QuickFacts/

Have a quick look at this. One of the important things for absorbing B vitamins via digestion is a protein called "Intrinsic factor" people who are deficient in this protein or don't have it can't absorb B vitamins taken orally. B vitamins have to be injected.

This could be helpful to you and the
iJess
OP

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending