The Student Room Group

AS results

Hi, this is probably a really stupid thing to ask but since I got my AS resutls it's all I've been thinking about and I just need a definite answer.

I got my resutls back, and while they are not bad reuslts they were not what I needed. I got:
Maths: A 265/300
Further Maths: A 243/300
Chemistry: B 239/300 (1 ums off an A)
Physics: B 234/300

I always wanted to go to Cambridge, and I know it's not the only university worth going to and I know a lot of people want to go, but the education there is incredible, I love the city, and it's something I genuinely have a passion for doing. I want to study ChemEng, and I would be happy doing this either at Cambridge or Bath, and I have a few other choices. What I really want to know is, because I didn't get straight As at AS has it ruined my chances of applying to Cambridge? Will I even be able to get A*AA anymore? It's ok, I'm prepared not to be able to go but I just would like to know if applying would be a wasted application or whether I should risk it and apply?

Sorry for sounding whiny and needy I just really want to know. :colondollar:

Thank you if you can help. :adore:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Hey! I'm kind of like you, interested in Cambridge though not entirely sure! I got AAAB with the B 4 UMS off of an A! It was in French too which sucks because I want to study French and Spanish.

You'll definitely be able to get A*AA, it's easy to bring that B to A by the end of A2!! :smile: you could also put the B in for a remark as its that close.

One thing with cambridge is that they look at your UMS marks, and I read something that only like 5% of successful applicants got an average of 88% UMS in their exams in the three subjects they're using as their offer. That's kind of put me off a little but it's still worth applying! They want potential and already highly academic students. One thing to bear in mind is that they have like 18,000 applications and about 4,000 spaces. They get more applications than all other unis except Oxford I expect so it's already more difficult to get into regardless f the grades!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I definitely don't think its out of the question. First of all I would suggest you remark your chemistry to try and find an extra mark, perhaps physics because you're quite close there too. It will be harder because there will be some students who will be walking in with 90%+ UMS, but if you write a convincing personal statement and 'wow' them at interview, they may be willing to give you an offer. If you are predicted A* AA next year that would be even better. And yes an A* is definitely possible if you work hard. The AS results doesn't really matter as long as you get 90%+ UMS on your A2 modules.
If your chemistry is one UMS off an A, are you going to get a remark? Then you will have AAAB. Do you need physics to do ChemEng or could you drop this and focus on the other three A levels, to give yourself the best chance of improving your grades?

Also, what are your predicted grades likely to be? Do you have good GCSEs?

No-one can say what a paticular university is going to do, as it partially depends on the standards of the other aplicants. If you stay with AABB, it may be worth putting down Cambridge and Bath as aspirational choices, but making sure your other three choices are more realistic and likely to accept you, with at least one really safe option. There is nothing wrong with applying to one or two universities asking for grades above yours, so long as you make sure you are more likely to get offers from your other choices. If you applied to 5 universities asking for AAA+, that would be very risky, and could lead to 5 rejections.
Your UMS average will be low in terms of what you're up against, so it will be difficult but obviously not impossible. If you really love it I'd apply - there's still a chance if you impress elsewhere and it's only 1/5 choices. Just make sure you have sensible, realistic back-up options in case it doesn't work out and it's fine imo.
You did great in further maths. I know a lot of people who struggled with FP1. Drop the Physics and an A*AA should be achievable with enough hard work.
Reply 6
You're up against people with very high UMS (95%). Will be tough.
Reply 7
Original post by milworthy
I definitely don't think its out of the question. First of all I would suggest you remark your chemistry to try and find an extra mark, perhaps physics because you're quite close there too. It will be harder because there will be some students who will be walking in with 90%+ UMS, but if you write a convincing personal statement and 'wow' them at interview, they may be willing to give you an offer. If you are predicted A* AA next year that would be even better. And yes an A* is definitely possible if you work hard. The AS results doesn't really matter as long as you get 90%+ UMS on your A2 modules.

I think I'm going to have a remark, I just don't want it to go down! Thank you for reassuring me :-)

Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
If your chemistry is one UMS off an A, are you going to get a remark? Then you will have AAAB. Do you need physics to do ChemEng or could you drop this and focus on the other three A levels, to give yourself the best chance of improving your grades?

Also, what are your predicted grades likely to be? Do you have good GCSEs?

No-one can say what a paticular university is going to do, as it partially depends on the standards of the other aplicants. If you stay with AABB, it may be worth putting down Cambridge and Bath as aspirational choices, but making sure your other three choices are more realistic and likely to accept you, with at least one really safe option. There is nothing wrong with applying to one or two universities asking for grades above yours, so long as you make sure you are more likely to get offers from your other choices. If you applied to 5 universities asking for AAA+, that would be very risky, and could lead to 5 rejections.

I think I will get a remark!! It's not necessary everywhere but at some of my choices it is, so dropping it is out of the question, I'll have to do four. I got A*s in the subjects I'm studying, As in everything else and Bs in Eng Lang and German (I hate German). My GCSEs aren't brilliant, but they're not terrible, just kind of average.

Some of my choices are ABB and AAB so I think I'm ok, they're the lowest I can find for ChemEng.

Original post by Endless Blue
Your UMS average will be low in terms of what you're up against, so it will be difficult but obviously not impossible. If you really love it I'd apply - there's still a chance if you impress elsewhere and it's only 1/5 choices. Just make sure you have sensible, realistic back-up options in case it doesn't work out and it's fine imo.

Yeah I'll just be prepared not to get in, thank you :-)

Original post by silkysmoothpro
You did great in further maths. I know a lot of people who struggled with FP1. Drop the Physics and an A*AA should be achievable with enough hard work.

FP1 wasn't so bad, M2 was horrid though. I've always been alright at maths, but I do work pretty hard when it comes to revision, but thank you :colondollar:.

I can't drop physics, I need it for some of my choices. :-( I'll just work extra hard to get my grades up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending