The Student Room Group

Changing clearing choices

Hi everyone. I recently accepted an offer from clearing only to find that another course I wanted to had spaces open during clearing that never appeared on the ucas site before and I missed on their official website.

Is it still possible to change clearing choices and if so what would the process be? I'd call ucas themselves but their phone lines aren't open atm
Original post by ZMac
Hi everyone. I recently accepted an offer from clearing only to find that another course I wanted to had spaces open during clearing that never appeared on the ucas site before and I missed on their official website.

Is it still possible to change clearing choices and if so what would the process be? I'd call ucas themselves but their phone lines aren't open atm

Don't do anything without checking that the place you want really is still there and not just a clerical error or out of date. You need to ask your firm to reject you back into clearing. You will have to wait until Monday to do this.
Reply 2
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Don't do anything without checking that the place you want really is still there and not just a clerical error or out of date. You need to ask your firm to reject you back into clearing. You will have to wait until Monday to do this.

Yeah I'll definitely wait until the other uni say they can take me first, something tells me the website is just out of date because it's a competitive course at a good uni. So is it really as simple as calling my current uni and then confirming the other? That's a big relief, thanks a lot
Original post by ZMac
Yeah I'll definitely wait until the other uni say they can take me first, something tells me the website is just out of date because it's a competitive course at a good uni. So is it really as simple as calling my current uni and then confirming the other? That's a big relief, thanks a lot

It's not a difficult process, but it can be time consuming and a bit nail biting. Speaking to both parties on the phone is the quickest way to set the ball rolling.
Reply 4
Original post by carnationlilyrose
It's not a difficult process, but it can be time consuming and a bit nail biting. Speaking to both parties on the phone is the quickest way to set the ball rolling.

Yeah I'm just scared to death that even if the other uni says they have places and will take me, something goes wrong or they fill up in the time I'm cancelling the other.

Oh well I'll make sure to do it first thing Monday morning. Thanks again for the help.
Original post by ZMac
Yeah I'm just scared to death that even if the other uni says they have places and will take me, something goes wrong or they fill up in the time I'm cancelling the other.

Oh well I'll make sure to do it first thing Monday morning. Thanks again for the help.
If they make you a verbal offer, get them to follow it with an email of confirmation straight afterwards so you have a paper trail to prove it. Good luck.:smile:
Reply 6
Will you be changing universities? If so then no, after you accept a clearing offer from a university you can not apply to any other university in that academic year. If you want to change course with the same university you will be fine, usually they will give you around 2 weeks in to your academic year to see if you want to continue in this subject or change, I studied at liverpool and at the start of the year I knew around 4 people who had changed within 2 weeks of starting university! you must make sure you have the entry requirements and the department you want to transfer to may want to interview you.

At the end of the day if you make out that you are not happy with the current course and thinking of dropping out, the university would much rather change your course instead of you dropping out because it would effect the universities rankings.

So do not worry you will have plenty of time to change and you wont be the only one in this situation, a lot of people start there course and realise it is not for them and change.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by sully0504
Will you be changing universities? If so then no, after you accept a clearing offer from a university you can not apply to any other university in that academic year. If you want to change course with the same university you will be fine, usually they will give you around 2 weeks in to your academic year to see if you want to continue in this subject or change, I studied at liverpool and at the start of the year I knew around 4 people who had changed within 2 weeks of starting university! you must make sure you have the entry requirements and the department you want to transfer to may want to interview you.

At the end of the day if you make out that you are not happy with the current course and thinking of dropping out the university would much rather change you course, as if you dropped out then it would effect the universities rankings.

So do not worry you will have plenty of time to change and you wont be the only one in this situation, a lot of people start there course and realise it is not for them and change.
Oh god, you're right! I'm still thinking about ordinary clearing. Sorry!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending